Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep burning out glow plugs

I am having a blasts with my LMH 110. It's the Timex of helicopters.
    I am having a problem with the glow-plugs in the Norvel .061 engine burning out. I am on my 5th plug now in only a few weeks. I have gone over the normal things, fuel mixture, number of rings under the plug. I started out with 2 rings and went to 3. I am in Florida and the temp has been in the high 60s to the mid 70s.
    I am using Omega 15% nitro with glycine as recomended by LMH. I contacted Norvel and they suggested I double check the head gasket and glow-plug ring for leakage and possibly try another fuel. I also contacted LMH and they had the same suggestions except they recommended I stay with they Omega 15% as that is the preferred fuel.
    I hope someone has a suggestion. My LHS is now out of glow-plugs and I am on my last one.
    If that one burns out I fear I will suffer severe LMH withdrawal symptom's. Any HELP folks!
    Oh Crap! That can\'t be right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Keep burning out glow plugs

What kind of glow plug have you been using? Is the coil just breaking? Is the plug black & sooty or clean but just wet? How long do you run the engine before the plug goes?

Can you upgrade to a better plug? Sometimes problems can be resolved by experimentation rather than just going by manufacturers suggestions.

I've had good luck with some of my other motors by buying an $8 or $10 plug. Also going with a good name like O.S. Max might be more beneficial to you.

Not much info I know but I hope it may help you out somehow.....

FWIF.

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unfortunatly us LMH owners are stuck with Norvel glow plugs[]Nothing else fits
    http://northern-indiana-modelers-association.synthasite.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh man. That sucks!

Can you upgrade to an O.S. Max engine with a pull start? I was thinking of trying to do that but you guys that already have the 110's could prolly tell me better if I'd b wasting my money attempting that or not.

I have an electric Corona right now and would like to have a gas corona or 110 but without the Norvel motor.

[sm=confused.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah, you can put in an O.S. engine, but it's not a really simple project....

Actually though, you can get a plug adaptor for the norvel engines that lets you use a standard short glowplug, but you loose some power with it, and the 110 doesn't have much to spare.
    <i><blue>Methodically constructing and destroying aircraft since 1994</i></blue>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup, you can buy an adapter to use standard glow plugs. I don't know why you'd lose power with it...

Here's the link.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...VL100148/100.0
    [This space for rent]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

one reason you loose power is because of lower compression. compare the little pit/hole where the coil is on a std. glowplug vs the norvel ones....

the glowplug thing pisses me off too. one might last 40 flights, and another burns up the first time you use it. at 5 bucks a pop + $7 shipping, Im having trouble rationalizing why I should keep flying anymore. I've got more important stuff to spend my money on than friggin glow plugs.
    <i><blue>Methodically constructing and destroying aircraft since 1994</i></blue>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have got to join you guys on this glo-plug thing. I have had a LMH 100 for five years and did not fly it once because the orginal Cox Tee Dee would'nt start. I put it in the garage and watched it turn yellow. After purchasing a piccolo last year I got the heli bug again and resurected the thing. After going thru two pints of fuel and still not able to get the Cox started, I finally bought two Norvel 6 motors. On the first try it came to life. I got about two tanks on my plug and it was gone. I ordered two more plugs from LMH and they lasted about the same. I tried reducing the voltage on my glow panel and that did not help. The guys at my Hobby Store suggested that I lean out the motor before starting with the glow adapter to remove the excess full left on the coil. They say that will keep your plug from burning as soon you connect the glow starter. I just can't see changing my needle valve setting after every stall. I have ordered the glow plug adapter that Mopzilla suggested and will try to see how that works.

Ascent (EP Glider)
    JR XF622
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33720.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	215177  
    My Hanger: TRex , E Flite Mini Edge, YAK, Ultimate 3D, Fliton Quiet Storm, LHM 100 (Upgraded to 116) For SALE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an adapter for my norvel airplane engine and havent even gotten it to run yet,,I didnt know there was one with the heat sink for the heli, and I dont think the regular one will last on the heli because of the heat issue....I've had norvel glow heads last for years, so there is some issue with your running conditions....there have been people put up to .15 size engines in the LMH's but there is an RPM issue too...Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rog,

Actually I was thinking about putting an O.S. .15 pull-start car engine in one. Has this been done before? What are the issues? I thought it would be really cool, and I could put a huge hunkin big ol' gas tank on it and fly it for an hour......

What can you tell me about doing this conversion?

Thanks.

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/can_...2467577/tm.htm

Not sure if thats a link or not its a couple of threads down"someone give a a list.... he's the guy that converted to a .15 ,,the only prob is LMH says dont go over 2200 rpm head speed...and I'm sure it would...do a search if you dont find it there..make sure you dont get that throttle stuck with a tank big enough for an hour of flying[X(], move the on off switch from vertical to horizontal in case you bounce on landing, imagine it hitting the ground and cutting off and going full speed with a full tank, it has happened more than once....Rog
    I forgot what gears he used,,clutch from a car I think
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[&:] I am not sure if this did the trick or if I just got lucky. I tightened the glow head with a rag wrapped around the head & used channel lock plyers to give it just a bit more torque. I have been using the same glow plug for several months now.
    Oh Crap! That can\'t be right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

***Reno***
    It's been done with success,
    The only issues is to much headspeed....

No serious, you have to get a clutchbell with 32 pitch, thats what the mainspur gear have.
    Try to place the engine in front of the mainshaft because of the CG.

//Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reno,

I posted some pics of my custom 117 (117 converted to OS 12) (about 1-2 years ago they are still on the site). If you are interested in a conversion like this I can help.

Also, you can (with a little work) make your own glow plug adapter using one of your old v6 or v7 glow plugs.

Also different glow plug manufactures have different size pits for the glow coil. So, choosing which plug you use can make a
    difference.
    notasme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW!!!! I made that post in January of 2005!

Thanks for the info tho......

Have you guys seen this one?

http://www.raidentech.com/hearfnigasra.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buy this adapter and you can put regular plugs in

http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=4607