Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

tail hunting

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

tail hunting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:00 AM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail hunting

I am really starting to get angery with my Corona. One night its flying perfect, the tail boom was perfectly stable. And the next morning the tail boom is hunting like crazy. I use a Zoom heading hold gyro, not top quality but it does the trick. I cant figure out this problem and I'm at the point where I might buy on a gy240. Any suggestions to save me 100 bucks?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:59 AM
KLRico

Default RE: tail hunting

Didn't crash did you? [&:]

Doesn't sound like it from the post. Can you think of anything signifigant between the day it worked and the day it didn't? Weather, dropping the gyro or heli, anything? Did the radio settings get messed with? I've never heard of a gyro just crapping out, but who knows?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 PM
puble23

well my transmitters battery sort of went dead. But I recharged it and had the same problem. Umm my reciever got wet a few weeks prior to it breaking but it flew the night before it started the tail hunting. Could it have been the sitty radio shack verson of tamiya battery connectors I put on the day before? Well It really doesnt matter becuase I know the gyro is ok, it's doing its job for the most part when I plug it into channel 1. So I ordered a new reciever and new battery connectors. If that doesnt fix it I'm going to rip my hair out... Could the reciever been the cuase of this problem? Also I had to plug in the battery connectors several times to get the gyro to set-up. It would not set-up the first time when it was on channel 4. On channel 1 it would mostly set-up on the first time I plugged in the battery conectors.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:53 AM
KLRico

It does sort of sound like a poor connection on your # channel. Have you noticed any corrosion?

I'd imagine if it was the battery connector you'd be getting glitch like symptoms on all channels with the motor cutting out and all that.

Then again, It might be possible that the motor is drawing so much current that the poor connector can't keep up and your gyro is getting into undervolt situation. YMMV.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:13 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

I got the same problem with eratic tail hunting and Im looking into buying a new gyro also, Maybe it's something else, Now you got me thinking! [&:] Everytime I re-adust the gyro it works okay for a short time then it acts up again, latetly it has been very hard to hold the tail or the nose straight, it's really pissing me off now!

P.S. however my problem did start after a very hard landing, Well, okay, technically a crash!
Do you think my gyro was damaged in the crash?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Donnie7

My tail hunting problems have always been too much gain on the gyro or slop in the servo/ tail rotors. I do get some glitches that seem to come and go. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Donnie
Old 05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

My tail hunting Problem is solved. I took apart my tail rotor assembly installed a new gear box case, Lubricated everything with oil and grease. Reset the gyro gain then reduced the gain just slightly. reset the control rod and servo horn and rudder trim in nuetral position (Leaving the Tail rotor with a slight angle to comensate for tourqe while the trim remains in neutral) Also lubricated the tail rotor control rod so that it slides easy in the tail boom's plastic guide, everything is greased and slippery so that the servo and gyro combo does not have to work so hard and so it can make very quick changes in tail pitch with very little resistance! That's what my problem was! The gyro was trying to tell the servo what to do, but the servo could not move fast enough because the tail pitch control rod and all those other parts on the tail rotor weren't moving smoothly or fast enough, and so if the gyro tells the servo to go left and the servo is not able to do it fast enough then your heli spins, then the gyro tells the servo to hurry and go right, then it over compensates, next thing you know your all over the place! My Corona can now hover straight hands off for about 11 seconds. Thats great compared to the mess I had before! This Corona works Perfect Now! Whew, almost bought $149.oo Heading Lock Gyro for nothing!.........

P.S. another thing that can screw up your gyro if your not aware is, Moving or carrying your helicopter while the power is on. When you first turn on your heli make sure it's on a straight and level surface and dont move it around for the first 30 seconds. Let the Gyro initilize itself. Sometime I would turn the heli on while it was in my hand then walk with it to the lift off spot, NO GOOD! Your gyro wont work right. Put it down THEN Turn it on then leave it for 30 seconds! (Of course have your transmitter turned on first)[X(] Some gryos dont need this extra caution but some do, Not sure who does or dosent so to be safe just do it ayway! Especially if your heli works fine one day but not the next, It could be you screwing things up.......[&:]
Old 05-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Donnie7

Glad you got your problem fixed. I am still looking for a good digital servo for a JR501 gyro. I think the speed will help mine a lot although it does ok with the standard one I am running. The only servo's I've been able to find are full size 4 hole mounting. If you here of one to check out let me know.
Donnie
Old 05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Joe K

I have had good luck with the low cost Heli-Max Micro Piezo Gyro but I have been flying a 116 hope it works as well on the Corona I am building.