Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Power failure

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Power failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Dot-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power failure

Spring is here in Sweden so its time to dust of the rotor
But I got a power problem with my Norvel 6 engine...

At first the engine started just fine after the winter and there was enough power to fly the heli.
But after a while, say 20 sec. it started to loose power, ok maybe to lean... NO ! apparently the cylinderhead unscrewed its self [:@]
Now that I got the head to not unscrew it self I still got the powerlost after 50 sec.
It doesn't matter if I turn the needle or not, it only gets light on the skids...
I have to let the engine cool down a bit to get the power back..

Have anyone else had this problem before ?? (does the bear take a dump in the woods )

Please help !

//Peter
Old 04-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Bret4

Default RE: Power failure

I do not have a gas power heli, but I have had nitro power cars. Here are some things I would check. Start with a new glow plug, and adjust your fuel setting to factory settings, use new fuel. If that doesn't help. you may have a air leak making the fuel mixture to lean. Check all screws on motor. You may have to get new seals for the carb and motor. If you have a lot of hours on this motor it may need a rebuild or replacement. The heating that you are talking about tells me it is running to lean. If your fuel is from last year I would get new fuel first.

Bret
Old 04-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Dot-RCU

Thanks Bret4
I was to quick to post on the forum,
I inspected my glow plug today and when I looked closer at it I could see that the wire inside the plug was broken but it still made contact...
haven't tried the new plug yet, but thats probably what caused this..

//Peter
Old 04-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Bret4

That's great Peter. Sounds like you got it.

Bret
Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Dot-RCU

Same crap today, new glow plug but problem persist, and my fuel is new
I also tried to add a washer (totaly 3) but no improvment, was going to try with only one but it was getting to dark to fly.. [sm=frown.gif]
Old 04-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Bret4

Wish I knew more about that engine so could help you. I hope others will help if they know what the problem may be.

Bret
Old 05-14-2005, 12:12 AM
T.W.

It sounds like you're running too lean. These engines like to run quite rich, so turn the needle anti-clockwise as far as you can with the heli still having enough power to lift-off. Good luck

Tony
Old 05-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Dot-RCU

Well I've tried that to.. even to a point where the engine starts to blur because it gets to much fuel....

I've started to design a new crutch thats going to hold an 11 car engine.. guess I will have enough power then..
Old 05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
T.W.

Keep us all up-dated on your progress. Several of us "V-7 engine sufferers" will be interested to hear how your project progresses

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 05-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Dot-RCU

I was out today and tried a new fuel, with synthetic oil instead of castor... and the power was even less..[:@]
Better speed things up with the new crutch
I keep you posted !!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Tighten everything on motor; use locktight on glow plug head, high nitro with castor oil, run rich I had mounted my .06 on an aluminum plate when crutch was getting bad and it seem also act as a heat sink keeping motor cooler. Good luck
Old 05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Dot-RCU

Joe K,
I tried loctite when my top kept coming loose and it kept the top secured but the power problem was still there.
I'm going to buy some new fuel with castor oil and 20-25% nitro and we'll see.

//PD
Old 05-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Joe K

I have had best luck with 25% to 35% castor (Norvel)
I have switched to Wilde Cat Fuel 30% synthetic oil and then added my own castor. Cheaper on fuel this way [8D]
In summer I stick with one ring. If you are just hovering early cool mornings is best.
Other wise you do better to keep the heli moving,mine prefers flying to hovering on hot days.
The only reason I am not selling my Gasser now that I am building a Corona is that I now have figured out how to get Citronella Tiki torch Fuel to stay mixed in the fuel and I hover over flower garden and around weeds, woods…
Hey it works better than the Tiki torch’s and a lot more fun. Image your wife sending you out to fly because of misquotes.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Dot-RCU

That sounds like a dream... "get out in the garden and fly your heli !! " I could get used to that
Hey, I would plant mosquitos !!!

//PD
Old 05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be in your flying manuals,,once the outside temp warms to a certain point the .061 just doesnt have the power to lift off,,this is why so many switch to the .074,,but your .11 crutch should be fine...Rog
Old 10-28-2005, 09:36 AM
lawrencelkl

hey, how's the .11 car engine goes with LMH ? any good? i am having problem with the Vmax 6 also, is it true that i wil lneed the high speed micro starter instead of normal aeroplane starter?anyone flying LMH gas could help mi with this piece of info?thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Peter_d

Hey Lawrencelkl...
I'm former Dot-Rcu,

NO ! you dont need a highspeed starter, I've been using an Really old starter its over 15 years old...for my V-max6 I use it also for my 1:8 buggy.

The project is moving on.. I've had a loong pause becaus I been waiting for Matt from Ballistic Technology to complete his V2 rotorheads, all I can say they are Sweet !!.
Now that the weather is getting colder again here in Sweden I don't think it will be to much flying for me this year...
All there is left is to spraypaint the G10, mount the radio, make sure everything is straight and fuel up and go.
You can see the parts of my new doublesided apache crutch here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3029400/tm.htm

//Peter

Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter, thanks for your info. i was about to spend some $$ just to get the high speed starter plus the expensive postage all the way from US. phew...ur pache body looks cool, darth's is good also! I am glad tht someone near me ( i am in london, uk) is flying litemachines because i feel all alone here. brought this machine to a local club and all what i heard is to give up and get a raptor.after reading all these useful forum , i think i am just not givin up yet. any suggestion or tips or advice will be very much appreciated. my club members did managed to help mi start it up and lifted up for 3 seconds, but it tipped side and the blade hit the ground and engine stopped. how nice if someone can give mi a hand for my poor LMH.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Peter_d

Is the heli new out of the box or did you get it used ?

Sorry to hear that it tipped, I hope that nothing was broken.. I wonder what would have happend if you had tipped with a Raptor

Actually I had to choose, design a new crutch that could hold up for the car engine or go electric, I went for the first option since I wanted a Apache look kind of heli.
If you dont want to spend a lot of time buildning a new crutch which also means no flying, I say go electric or try the V-max 7 upgrade from Litemachine..

I wont touch my Max-6 engine anymore [:@]

//Peter
Old 11-02-2005, 02:43 PM
notasme

Take a look at this thread "cv 12 mounted on lmh 117!". It is the conversion I did to my 117. You will need to have someone that can do some light machining. I made my own crouch from aluminum using the original as a template.

The two parts that have to be made are:
the engine mount
the clutch shaft.

I also made my own starter cone.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 AM
lawrencelkl

Peter &Notasme,thansk for info and advice. i managed to get my LMH 100+ started and flying!! the engine setting is actually 2 1/4 turns out and the engien starts OK! i jsut used a normal aeroplane starter.thanks Peter for saving mi some £££ -->>>$$$ if i gotta order from US. i tried to let it take off and it flew straight about 2 m from ground, i quickly put the throttle down as my flying skill is very very low, but thanks for the encouragement. i will polish my skill sometime later.do u guys think i need a training undercarriage? thanks

lawrence
Old 11-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Peter_d

Glad you got it going !!!
Yes, I think you should make a training gear. (saved me a bunch of times from tipping over)
this is what you need
1. 4X Golf practice balls, looks like small floorballs.
2. 2X Wood dowles.

Make a cross with the dowles and put a golfball on each tip, put som paint on it and attach it with nytties to the landing gear, go fly

//Peter
Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 PM
lawrencelkl

Thanks peter, in fact i tried to make the training undercarriage as u suggested but my flying skill is too low, haha...but managed to start the heli and gave a few hops...will get more practice.
I would liek to share wome pic here, how do i upload them?
Lawrence
Old 11-21-2005, 06:40 AM
lawrencelkl

hi mates,

I managed to try few more hops and 'circles' with my LMH 100+ last saturday! the training undercarriage (suggested by peter)indeed saved a lot of tipping over! but my skill is still..... so many crashes still. but i managed to stay in air for longer this time and spent 3 solid hours for about 5-6 fuel tank of 25% nitro.great fun i would say. engine started easily and throttled ok.

but one thing i realised, i have to control quite a lot on yaw/rudder when it is about to take off as well as when it is in the air.

one more question, if i would like to add a bit of stability by adding weights, do i add right under the centre of the shaft or at the 4 ends of the the tips of the training gear? anyone tried this?

thanks all

Lawrence
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Peter_d

hey Lawrence,

Good to hear that your getting some airtime..
Regarding your tail controll, you should not need to do so much controll or compensation once it's in the air, unless you're making big trottle changes.
Lets say you get it up in the air and have no forward flight, will the helicopter spin/turn if you don't make any controll on the tail ??

//Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.