Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs help choosing a Corona

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Newbie needs help choosing a Corona

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
FrostyTheBeerMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help choosing a Corona

Hi guys,

First post here

I am going to dive into the world of helis in the very near future, and am looking at the Corona, and have decided to go with this model
over another one called the "Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli" - I was advised strongly against buying the "Blade"
and to spend more money and go with the Corona.

My question is this, I'm totally new to helis, and somebody told me that there are many options for this heli.

I want a good main motor ( I think there are 2 motors on this heli ? - one at the back for the small prop also ? )

I thought that there would be a kit I could buy, that included everything, so that I could just charge the batteries and get flying but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there anyone out there with experience with the Corona who could spend some time with me getting the right Corona ( option wise ) ?

I would really appreciate that.

I also notice everyone talking about "Brushless" motors.... what are they all about ? - I'm very new to the world of RC and would love to learn.

Mark.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
TIA

Default RE: Newbie needs help choosing a Corona

Hi Mark!

Welcome to RCUniverse.

I’d go with the Corona. It’s a much better heli. Much more durable. You can even buy a used one and save a ton of money and get all your upgrades in one shot! There is only one motor in the heli. The tail is wire/gear driven from the main motor.

I fly mine every day and love it! I like it so much I have a few of them! You might want to get a simulator for a pc computer first and practice though. But it’s not totally necessary. Just a good idea that’s all.

A brushless motor means it doesn’t have brushes or a commutator. It is driven by magnetic forces without having to send electricity through the commutator and is much more efficient. Brushed motors have to be cared for much more and they need to be maintained all the time with cleaning and shoe replacement. Some day I think there will be no more brushed motors. But who knows for sure.

Ron.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 PM
FrostyTheBeerMan

Hi Ron !

Thanks much for helping me out ! - oh wow, sounds like you are the Corona Master , strange thing though, I'm a homebrewer, a member
of www.brewboard.com ( which is the largest American brewer's society in the United States ) and when I saw Corona for the first time I kept thinking of the BEER

Anyway is it ok if I email you off line also to ask a few questions about the Corona that others may tire of on this board ?

I'm so glad I found somebody else with a Corona, I asked on some of the "other" boards, and don't find many people who know what it is.

anyway thanks again for responding !

Btw, I just bought a NexStar plane, made by Hobbico and it comes with a simulator, but only for the NexStar plane.... I've put about 2 hours and a bit on it, and am having
good fun with it,,, I will put 20 hours on it, before I even put together the NexStar kit I bought, so I won't have any urge to go fly it before I am ready.

To fly helis ( another word I just learned yesterday ) - is RealFlight G3 the thing I should upgrade to ? ( the software I have now for my NexStar is made by them )

anyway thanks !

Mark.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
TIA

Yup!

I'll pm you!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
FrostyTheBeerMan

Hi Ron,

Still deciding on that Corona
Old 08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
RandyT

There are alot of Corona's out there. They're great, especially for learning since they're sturdy and reasonable to repair when you crash them. And now with Bret at Chopper 1, and Matt at Ballistic Technology, there are many upgrades. This is a great board but you might want to check out RCGroups under the Electric Heli section, lots of Corona questions answered in there. I warn you though...once you see what a Corona can be made to look like, you'll get hooked one the upgrades. Good luck.