Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

take off problems

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

take off problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 AM
pirate one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take off problems

i have a lmh110. no matter how fast the motor spins it does not take off. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 AM
gadget01

Default RE: take off problems

collective pitch or fixed pitch? is the motor spinning the rotor head in the correct direction?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:55 AM
pirate one

the heli is fixed pitch and is spinning in the correct direction. It starts to try and lift off but doesn't. I have tried twisting the blades slightly and that worked for a while now it does not seem to help. I have one blade with six dots on it and one with four dots on it. both of my coronas have this blade mix. HELP?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Are you sure the engine is reaching the correct RPMs? If the Gas engine isn't adjusted to the proper fuel / air mixture, it might not be reaching the proper RPM for lift off, So that would be like trying to hover at 25% throttle instead of the normal 50% throttle....

Just a though, Can't see any other reason why she would not lift off.........[&:]
Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

I had some gradual power loss occur while I was hovering my LMH 117 once. It was hovering fine, then it just started sinking slowly, even at full throttle. Took me a while to figure out, but my heatsink just needed to be tightened. The engine was losing compression around the glowplug after the heatsink had come unscrewed the tiniest bit.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
FlyingFish

Thats why I like Electric Powered Helis, Less problems! With brushless motors and lipo battery technology, today's helis are just as light as gas and can last long enough to get a good flying day in, especially if you put two lipoly batterys together in a parallel circuit like I did. I can get up to 20 minutes of flying time........... also the extra weight of the second battery keeps me flying steady on windy days!.....
Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

Yeah, thanks, but I'll just carry an extra tx battery and rx battery with me and get 4 solid hours of flying at a time (I'm busy enough with work and family now that I usually only get to spend Sat. or Sun. afternoon flying). And 1 lipo + triton charger = about 7 gallons of fuel, not to mention BL motor + ESC cost depends on what brand you chose but still expensive. I'll upgrade to a .30 or .50 size heli before I put that much fuel through my LMH 117. Also, it seems to me that a lipo is much more likely to be damaged in a heli crash than a fixed wing crash; the battery is usually surrounded by balsa or foam in a fixed wing craft, but there are more rigid materials used in heli construction. So I think I'll just stick to glow except for my little honeybee, which serves analgously to nicorrette for my heli addiction.

Back to the thread, also check the clutch bell. If it collects to much oil, the clutch may not be able to fully engage.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
pirate one

I also have electric with brushless and lipo bats. they are cool. but I like the coronas also. Yes the heat sink and glowplug are tight. I will check for clutch slippage. the thing has a throttle exhaust and nitro goes everywhere.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:30 PM
pirate one

could not guarantee the mixture is correct but I adjusted it to highest rpm and then backed it off a little. I even tried 65 nitro for a few seconds. no lift off.

[&o]
Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
FlyingFish

If Nitro goes everywhere you might be running the engine too rich, but if your getting a High RPM on the engine but No lift-off, Then somewhere between the engine and rotor blades (Drive Train) is some kind of slipage or something broken! Did this suddenly happen or did you always have this problem with this heli? Maybe the Lining on the Clutch is worn and your not getting enough speed on the rotor head!

Puzzeling...........[&:]
Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM
darthdrk

This is easy,your clutch shoe is slipping. Im one of the few that has experienced every known problem with the gas version of the LMH Helicopter. If everything is tight, set screws tight, head, backplate tight. Engine is not worn, your problem is the clutch parts. What Ive done in this situation,Ive taken a flat tip screwdriver and spread the shoes evenly a tad bit (mabey a millimeter for each side. Also with the gas version, I ran 4-4 grips. Never really had to use over 15% nitro on my V-6 and V-7 engines. Ive since went electric and converted to a Corona. I was a nitro LMH diehard. Now Im stuck with a bunch of gas LMH Heli spare accessories, engines, engine parts etc...
Old 10-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Raventiger15

I used to have a Nitro LMH too. I also had seemingly this same problem you are having. I bought the .070 engine upgrade and could fly it while it was rich enought to be properly run in but by the time I thought it was run in and started to lean the mixture I could only get light on the skids. I may just have had a poor experience with it but I tried all the grip settings and none helped. I just scrapped it because it was indication of the engines wearing out before having one gallon of fuel through them. If I ever get another LMH I would get an electric with a Brushless. I have a T-Rex and a Raptor 50. Had the Raptor 30. The 30 was a great upgrade from the LMH. I have also tried a few other fixed pitch helis and so far the LMH was the best, but I still greatly prefer collective pitch. Not to mention that I what I would suggest over any fixed pitch heli; even for a beginner.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 AM
lawrencelkl

hi, i jsut got a 2nd hand lite machine with Vmax 6 engine in it, it is 100+ ( early model) . i had problem with engine stopping when i throttled it up. the problem was clutch gummed up parts. but sicne you mentioned that the engine was running fast but the heli jsut dont lift up, i think a good point is the check the rotor head speed w tachometer to see if it is rotating fast enough or losing some transmission power thru the clutch.
again, i am a beginner and jsut a piece of opinion, cheers

anyone knows anyone flying LHM in uk? i am feeling like an alien with this LMH in this country! help!