Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Strange GYRO workings !!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Strange GYRO workings !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange GYRO workings !!!!!!

I have two Corona 120's, Both have the same operating Systems; a Brushless Mega 16/15/3 motor, a Phoenix 35 CC Programable ESC, a 3 cell 11.1v 2100 mAh Lipo Battery Pack and Both also have a Heli-Max Micro Piezo GYRO!

1) On my first Corona 120 the Heli Max Gyro Holds the Corona Rock Solid and steady, (also like most Gyros when you first turn on the heli and hold it in your hand and spin the heli, you can hear the gyro moving the Rudder servo, that's normal)

2) BUT, on my second Corona 120 the Heli Max Gyro holds the heli Okay, but the tail or nose still has a tendency to drift to the left, then to the right and trim wont hold or solve that drifting problem, sometimes if I turn the heli too fast left or right I will suddenly find the heli facing right at me, No matter how much I add more gain I cant get my second Corona 120 to perform as stable as my first Corona 120, (also when I turn the second corona on and hold it in my hand, no matter how much I move the heli I dont hear or see the gyro moving the tail or rudder servo the way the first Corona's gyro does, yet the gyro is holding the second corona okay during a hover)

3) So I purchased a New Heli-Max gyro for the second Corona and the same thing is wrong, drifting tail and no Gyro movement when spinning the heli in my hand, but yet in a hover it does hold the heli with some alternating left & right nose Drifting. It's a real pain because lots of times the heli is hovering perfectly straight, then for no reason it will Yaw left all the time, then decide to suddenly Yaw Right for no reason, sometimes visa versa, Right first, then yaw suddenly Left!

PLEASE NOTE: I had this same problem with my first Corona 120 about 5 months ago and when I purchased a NEW Heli Max Gyro for it, it solved the problem and drastically improved the first Corona 120's performance, But although I have the same problem with my second Corona, a new Heli Max Gyro isn't Working to solve the problem this time! Any Ideas what it can be this time??????
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
FlyingFish

Default RE: Strange GYRO workings !!!!!!

UPDATE: I removed my Corona 120 tail rotor servo and hooked it up to my new Gyro, When I hold the Gyro in my hand and rotate it, The servo arm dosent move, it makes very tiny jitters, but when I apply left or right rudder from my transmitter the servo moves okay! Does this mean I may have a bad servo even though it does work with direct Tx input?.......
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM
notasme

If your servo works connected directly to the receiver, then the problem is with the gyro.
If the gyro is not an HH type, when you rotate the gyro the servo arm should move then go back to center.
The gyro senses rotational movement and correction is only a momentary input to the servo. Slowly rotating the gyro may not cause the gyro to attempt correction. HH gyros operate differently.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
notasme

Additionally the faster you rotate the gyro the more servo movement should occur to make the correction.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM
FlyingFish

I've had this problem with the old gyro and now the same problem with a new gyro, The "tail rotor Servo" does not correct and recenter when you rotate the gyro in your hand.......! It must be the servo, this is the second gyro, their aren't that many parts on the heli to work with! The Process of illimination goes on, Im waiting for a new servo!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:30 AM
notasme

You could connect one of the other servos to the gyro and try it. (on the bench)
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
FlyingFish

Mmmmmmmm, Wish I thought of that before I ordered a new servo! Thanks for that tip, I'll try it......
Old 11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
notasme

FlyingFish,

The problem that I have had with my gyros has been the servo would only work in one direction. e.g. left input from the transmitter the servo would move left, right input from the transmitter; either the servo would not move or it would move very little. Turn the gyro and the servo would move accordingly. When the servo was connected directly to the receiver the servo works fine.

I keep a spare gyro that I know is good. (mpg 6 $34.00).
Old 11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
FlyingFish

Well, here's the deal.....! I tried hooking the new gyro to another servo and still no servos work with the new gyro, then I tried hooking up the old gyro again and Now everything works fine, when I rotate the heli in my hand the gyro now response accordingly to the tail rotor servo, why it did not before, I dont know. But it looks like I purchased a brand new defective Gyro and a new servo all for nothing...

Oh well at least it works now, but as soon as the wind calms down this weekend I gotta test fly the heli to be to be sure! [X(]
Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 AM
notasme

Be careful you may have an intermittent connection internal to the gyro. The vibration of flight could cause it to fail.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:03 PM
FlyingFish

Well, So far so good...! I tested the heli and it's gyro this weekend and so far everything is working better. I had to keep adding gain in order to stabalize the heli, but it's present setting is now at least holding the heli so that I can make turns without the heli spinning completely around. It seems to hesitate during left turns (kind of like it's fighting the gyro) and turns on a dime during right turns, but that's okay, it's still easier to handle than before!.....
Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 PM
notasme

That is very much like the problem I had before the gyro totally failed (servo would only operate in one direction).
The problem started with having to increase the gain on the gyro, next I had more control input in one direction then the other. Finally had no control in one direction.

I put a new gyro in and sent the other back for repair.