Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the b-tech Craz-E-Tail for LMH 120

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Anyone using the b-tech Craz-E-Tail for LMH 120

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
mlgreene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using the b-tech Craz-E-Tail for LMH 120

Is anyone using the Ballistictechonolgy Craz-E-tail for the LMH 120 Corona? I broke the gears off today in a landing in the grass. I’m using the aluminum crutch. Was wandering what you thought about the Craz-E-tail belt drive kit and how well does it work. Do you need to use the carbon fiber boom or will the stock boom work ok? Any info you can give me will help…
Thanks

Mike
Old 11-26-2005, 04:00 AM
gadget01

Default RE: Anyone using the b-tech Craz-E-Tail for LMH 120

Mike-

The stock boom will work but you will need to pop out the shaft-drive supports. The ones on each end are easy enough with a pair of plyers, but the middle one requires a little more finess. I used the biggest drill bit I had that would fit inside the boom and used its mass to hammer it out by shaking it up and down.

I recommend the carbon boom since the stock aluminum boom bends too easily and carbon is lighter... just look at the aluminum boom long enough and it will tweak itself out of shape.

The belt drive kit works well. My aluminum crutch kit came with 2 separate boom supports which works fine, but the belt kit comes with idler pulleys that are designed for the singular boom support. It will work anyways if you file or dremel one of the mounting holes to line up with the boom supports, assuming your kit looks like mine. I'll post up a pic if you want to see exactly what I did.

Adam
Old 11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
mlgreene

Thanks Adam for the info. I stripped all the teeth off my front tail rotor pinion gear and one tooth off the crown gear when landing in some tall grass. So I thought that maybe a belt drive would be the way to go. BT had two belt drive kits and the Craz-E-Tail looked like the way to go to help keep the tail rotor out of the grass. My Corona is stock except I do use the Chopper-1 tail boom mount so I’m not sure how that will work with the belt drive kit if at all. Are you using the Carz-E-Tail or the other belt drive kit? I seem to have read someplace that there was a clearance problem with one of the BT belt drive kits when used with an aluminum crutch with one of the pulleys but figured that had been fixed by now. I would rather get the cheaper of the two kits but was not sure how well the standard belt drive conversion kit would work when landing in some grass.

Mike
Old 11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Peter_d

Hey mlgreene,

I also use the Crazy-E-tail and I love it, it have saved my sister alot of trips to the hobby store (she lives in the U.S, and I in Sweden, so she have to get all my spare parts )
This is the first thing I upgraded on my heli and now there isn't many original parts left on the little bird
The thing is, you dont have to care if you land your heli so the tail hit the ground, you hear the belt slip and your good to go.

If there have been some compatibilty problems between Brets and Matts parts, Im sure they have solved this along time ago.
Just make sure you let Matt know that you are using the Chopper-1 tail boom mount when you order the Crazy-E-tail.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 PM
gadget01

ORIGINAL: mlgreene

Are you using the Carz-E-Tail or the other belt drive kit? I seem to have read someplace that there was a clearance problem with one of the BT belt drive kits when used with an aluminum crutch with one of the pulleys but figured that had been fixed by now.
Mike

I am using the Crazy Case, not the Crazy Tail. The Crazy Tail is the elevated tail rotor mount. It's is cool, but since it's $129 vs. $39 for the Crazy Case- it was a question of economics since I was already buying a lot of other upgrade parts.

My tail setup now: Crazy Case, CF tail boom, belt drive conversion, aluminum tail boom clamp with built-in idlers (all B-tech). Yes, there was a clearance issue with the idler bearing pulley. I had to file a small notch in the crutch to make clearance. It was very easy and had the added benefit of losing about 0.2 milligrams of weight.

My next tail upgrade will be to use a CF tube with ball links on the servo and bellcrank to remove the control slop. It looks way better too.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
TIA

ORIGINAL: gadget01
My next tail upgrade will be to use a CF tube with ball links on the servo and bellcrank to remove the control slop. It looks way better too.
Yeah that works great as TR linkage!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74095.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	388442  
Old 01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
gadget01

hey Reno-

thanks for the pic.. what does the linkage look like at the tail box?