Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Reflex XTR and Corona

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Reflex XTR and Corona

Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 PM
ufoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflex XTR and Corona

Anyone try out the Reflex XTR sim and the Corona model? How close is it to the real thing? I'm getting the Reflex XTR sim first and a radio to enhance my flying skills then I'm going to buy a Brushless setup from Roffees.

Now which radio to get? I'd like to get something that has the potential to fly the CP Corona mod when it comes out and don't think a standard 4 channel would cut it. But would Hitecs standard 6 channel work or would it have to be a CCPM model. How about that
Six Channel Transmitter with Built-In Mixing CCPM that Hellihobby sells...is it okay or should I stick with Hitec. thx
Old 01-01-2006, 09:01 PM
kenhiraihnl

Default RE: Reflex XTR and Corona

i fly the logo 10 in reflex xtr...verry realistic...haven't tried the corona...i use an optic 6 with synthesizer to fly my corona, logo 10-3d, xrb sr, multiplex easystar, logo 10 in reflex xtr, etc...remove the throttle spring, and it's a very good heli radio for the price...it has 120-degree ccpm built-in, so you'll be able to upgrade to the btcp...btw, santa got me a futaba 9chps syn...i was running out of model memory in the optic 6...good excuse to move up to the 9chps...mike roffee will take very good care of you...happy hovering...ken
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
ufoman

I was also eyeing the Optic 6. Guess you just remove the 4 scews on the back of the transmitter and it is pretty self explanatory to remove the throttle spring right? Was also looking at the Futaba 7ch... can get locally for 150$ but looks like the Optic 6 is a little more flexible.

I've flown the Realflight Sim G2 and had it for several months before I sold it but now want to try out the Reflex XTR for more realism. Also had a Draganflyer but the Kansas winds were too much... hopefully the Corona will be a better a better outside model to start on. Tried the Logo 10 on G2 and it handled very nice but I'm afraid in real life it is a little different to fly than realflight G2 and costly when you make an error.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
kenhiraihnl

hi ufoman...actually, now that i think about it...you gotta pry off the black side-plates in addition to removing the 4 screws...the optic 6 comes with a flat throttle spring to replace the one with the notch...don't be hasty in throwing away the box--the flat spring is hidden in the packaging...use the flat spring with a piece of silicone fuel tubing over it--it makes the throttle move smoothly, but with just the amount of friction needed...hard to beat the optic 6 if you got a lot of old and new equipment--you can fly models with different frequencies and shifts...btw, i got a mod to rfg2 from toshi that makes one of the electric helis fly a lot more realistically--if you're interested...the logo 10 in real life is kinda intimidating (like you imagined)...the size, cost, power and speed actually hold me back in improving my skills...my corona is a lot better for 'pushing the envelope'...when you crash a corona, you dust it off, straighten a few things, and fly again...when you crash a logo, you become a spectator...[]
hope that helps...
-ken
Old 01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
ufoman

Just got my Optic 6 transmitter with the synth module in today. Had a few questions. How do you change the transmit frequency to match the models receiver? Didn't see it listed in the manual. I'm guessing that to use the Reflex XTR sim you need to just remove the synth module and attach the cord right? There are so many options on this radio it is probably way overkill for the simple fixed pitch corona.
But the options are there to experiment with. Looks like maybe I'll have to get a Corona expert to set this thing up eventually if I purchase a kit.

Having only a 120 degree swashplate... is that a limitation with this radio and will I be able to fly Matts collective pitch stuff if I ever want to?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:14 AM
kenhiraihnl

1. to change the transmit frequency, remove the syn module and use the supplied screwdriver to dial-in the receiver frequency...then pop the module back in (don't forget to match the receiver shift, i.e., hitec/futaba is negative, and airtronics/jr is positive).
2. to use the optic 6 with reflex xtr, remove the syn module, attach the cord, and hope the desired heli flys ok...if not, adjust and select settings on the xtr menus and optic 6 until you get it right...good luck on that...
3. a stock corona flys perfectly on the airplane setting...no need select heli programming...you control the corona just like a fixed wing...but with one big difference, imho--unlike a fixed wing, you must not chop the throttle and pull back on the stick when you get into trouble...you gotta hover it back to the ground...don't ask me why i know that.
4. if you buy the corona kit, you'll find that the construction manual and setup instructions are very straight forward--even for someone who has never built, flown, or seen a helicopter.
5. 120 degree ccpm swashplate is preferred over 90 degree or mechanical swashplate setup. the highly popular ikarus eco 8 heli comes with mechanical or 90 degree swash...however most serious eco 8 flyers buy the 120 ccpm upgrade parts--which are required if you use the optic 6. i use my optic 6 to fly my logo 10, which has 120 ccpm.
6. i'm pretty sure that the btcp is a 120 ccpm setup...maybe helimodman, askman, or someone else who knows will chime in to confirm...
-ken
Old 01-14-2006, 03:16 AM
ufoman

Thanks for the info Ken. Got my Optic 6 throttle lever to work fine just waiting on the Reflex Xtr sim to show up now. Just a couple more questions.

Do you use any of the Throttle or pitch curves when flying with the Corona so the controls won't be so touchy and do you use the endpoints on the servos feature? I remember just barely touching the aileron stick when flying the draganflyer 4 in my house and it slammed against my sliding glass door. The company even said they really recommend the Futaba 9C when flying their beast I guess to dampen the movement in relation to the stick.

Trimming with the optic 6: does it remember the setting or do need to add the same trim adjustment each time? How do you go about balancing and tracking of the blades? I hear that is very important for stability and I will want to get that Titanium 5mm shaft right away.

Hopefully I can figure it out by myself when I get the Corona....at my local RC field they fly all planes so probably won't get much help there. So wish me luck.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
kenhiraihnl

hey ufoman...
the corona is flown in airplane mode, so you won't be hassling with throttle and pitch curves...you'll see when you build and fly your corona. good to see a positive recommendation on the 9c--mine should be arriving any day now.

with the optic 6, the first thing you'll be doing before each flight is select or verify the model and frequency...on my optic 6 display, my corona is model one, and it shows as 'coro - 30', i.e., corona channel 30. any trim changes, expo changes, etc. will be saved to that model memory...so next time you you select model one, for instance, all the changes you made will have been saved.

i balance the blades with a digital scale and tape...i track the blades by seeing which blade (i use a black blade and a white blade) is flying higher...if there's even a 1/16" difference, i turn the ball link on one of the mixing arm/swashplate pushrods a turn or two...usually that brings both blades together...the pushrod has a nominal length of 62mm, so don't go overboard lengthening or shortening it...btw, if the blades are not tracking (flying in the same plane), you'll know because of the vibration...and don't forget to use some form of eye protection when you're working with the blades...the 5mm ti shaft is great, but if you have a 'super crash', it'll bend...i'd think about getting the 7mm...

Old 01-17-2006, 02:10 PM
gadget01

Is blade tracking even an issue with the stock head Corona?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:10 PM
kenhiraihnl

one of the things that makes the corona so durable (and flyable after a crash) is the 'rubbery' components used in the rotating parts (flybar, seesaw, swashplate, etc.) and the soft pushrod links. imho, whenever you have a small or big crash, tipover, hard landing, etc., the blade tracking goes off a little--maybe even a lot...retracking the blades is really easy, once you learn the technique...i can do it myself in less than a minute, although it's safer to have two or even three guys--one holding the corona, one operating the throttle, and one watching rotor disk to see if both blades are flying in the same plane.

we're getting a little off subject...better start a new thread...ttyl...
Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 AM
ufoman

Just got my Reflex software hooked up. After about 20 minutes finally got the throttle channel to work on all the birds. Instructions could be a little better but I know it is a German release. Have a question.... there seems to be several Corona 120 downloads on many sites like Chopper-1 and the Reflex site. Do all the Corona downloads fly the same or are they tweaked differently? Also the model files on the Reflex site....some do not work. Have any of you experienced this also? I can't even unzip their files! I'm using WinZip as my zip program and have not had luck extracting.

Which birds do you use the Aileron and Elevator Curves on then if you don't on the Corona? I find I don't need them on the Sim when flying the Gas models but all the electrics I could see where dampening the response would help me. Maybe each flyer uses what works best for them?

I can fly the models better if I add more forward elevator via trim. Do you also shift the battery weight up and down to get the right feel and to change the center of gravity on this model? Nothing throws me off more in the sim when the Corona is pitching up the max.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
kenhiraihnl

hey ufoman...wow, you're way ahead of me when it comes to using reflex xtr...i haven't experimented much...all i know is that the corona in xtr flies like c**p...so i fly the logo 10 mostly...there's a lot of info on the simulator forum...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 PM
ufoman

The Corona in the Sim does a lot of tail wagging. I've tried to raise and lower the gyro gain and nothing seems to stabilize it very much. Is the tail pretty stable in real life or is there a lot of twitching also? But the other controls are very good and would be an enjoyable flying experience if it weren't for the tail.

I've emailed the Reflex company and hopefully they will tell me why their models don't unzip properly.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 AM
kenhiraihnl

i pretty much eliminated tail wag in my corona by using a multiplex polo digi4 for a tail servo, along with a futaba gy240, and clevises on my carbon fiber pushrod (instead of ball links). when you get your corona flying right in xtr, please let me know what setting you used...
-ken
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 PM
ufoman

I tried using the Integral Piezo in the model changes and that gets rid of the wag. Also I haven't tried yet to use the Par file from Chopper-1.com. They have a Corona Par file I downloaded....maybe this file will allow a great flying Corona. I will try it tomorrow if I can figure out how to use Par files. Anyone out there use Par files in Reflex? Par I take it means Parameters and changing them will change your Corona flight characteristics.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM
ufoman

Looks like once you set up your modified Corona the way you want.... you just overwrite your existing Par file. Actually I enjoy flying the Corona in the Sim over the Logo 10. The Logo 10 needs Expo control to tame down the sticks in my opinion. Anyone try Expo control with the Sim?