Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Chopper-1 upgrades

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Chopper-1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 AM
tdearth
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chopper-1 upgrades

I have been building and flying LMH helicopters for years. First the slimers and now the electrics.
I have built and flown eight Corona 120s alone. I use them to teach kids to fly helicopters.
Recently I rebuilt a pretty nasty crash using parts from Chopper-1. http://www.chopper-1.org/

This is the smoothest and easiest flying Corona that I have ever built. The mass in the crutch absorbs vibration and the feathering plate
eliminates tracking problems. WHile I was at it I went ahead and got his landing gear and battery plate. These mod's
created more room for components than you can possibly use.

I admit that this total rebuild was a little pricey at around $200.00, but it makes the Corona almost indestructable, as well as much smoother
flying. If and when one of my other Coronas get rekitted, I am going to use chopper-1 parts to rebuild it as well.

Tim

Old 01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
TIA

Default RE: Chopper-1 upgrades

Hey thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check them out!

We can all use smoother flying Coronas!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM
ufoman

Tdeath are you using a belt driven tail or the standard wire? I have also been eyeing this site for my upgrades when I decided to build my first Corona as they look more durable than the Balistic stuff. Wish I could just start out with these parts in a complete kit and go from there. If I knew more about what I was doing I'd just attempt to add a few stock parts to these chopper-1 upgrade parts. I hope I'm making the right decision about buying the Corona over the T-Rex. Any pointers in my first build?

Early last year I tried out the Draganflyer 4....the 4 rotor ufo bird. I don't see how anyone keeps the orientation right...if you fly further than 15 feet away it is hard to keep track of which way is north even when I painted the front one red. Tried out G2 and all the helis were easier to control and operate....just hope in real life they aren't unduly hard for me to get the hang of. I know the sims are easier but how much harder the real Helis are I don't know yet as I've never flown. Won't buy another Draganflyer until they find a way of protecting the rotors in a ring config but that would hurt their cash cow rotor sales.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 AM
tdearth
My Feedback: (30)

Hi ufoman,

I am using the wire drive tail but it is not the standard one. It is carbon fibre with bearings in it instead of the plastic bushings.
If you were only to get a couple of the upgrades I would get the crutch for durability and the feathering plate for smooth tracking. The tail gear box is also very durable compared to the stock gearbox, but then again it is quite a bit more expensive.
The stock Corona will fly well but I always had a hard time keeping the blades in track because after it sets a while the stock feathering plate will bend and droop throwing everything off.

I have taught a lot of people to fly with the Corona. You will have much better luck with it than with any of the micro helicopters.
I have 15 other helicopters, from Logos to converted Raptors but I still enjoy going out in the back yard and flying the Corona.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Peter_d

Hi Ufoman,

All I can say is get a new tail rotor gearbox, all it takes is one not so smooth landing and you might have cracked your gearbox.
You don't even have to fly to crack the original gearbox, just overtight it a tad and it's cracked.
Now I haven't tried Brets gearbox looks good though, but I have the Ballistic Crazy-E tail (elevated) and It have saved me so many trips to the LHS.
If I get contact between my tailblades and some grass all I hear is a the sound of the belt skipping, kill the engine and straight up the heli and I'm good to go again.
No broken gears,

Peter