Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Will this setup work

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Will this setup work

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this setup work

After another very frusturating day with my model 117 i have decided to officialy convert to electric. Luckily i do have the bank to do it now. I will by the 100 dollar conversion kit from Light Machines. I am thinking that the bigger blades will help in stability. Does that come with the pinion gear by the way?

The best budget friendy brushless i have found so far is the multyplex 4D. $150 on tower for engine and esc. Says it can be used on the Corona.

Now for the battery. Will the Great planes Nimh 7 cell 8.4V 2000 mah work. They also have an 8 cell version 9.6 volts. I could buy alot of these batteries as they are 20-25 dollars

Then all i would need is a couple deans connectors and i am good to go.

Does this setup sound okay
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Cambo

Default RE: Will this setup work

Would a better engine would be the mega 16/15/3 with a castle creations 25 amp esc?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
gadget01

The 16-15-3 would work well with a 3S pack, or a 16-15-4 for slighly lower rpms. I use a 16-15-4 with 3S packs for mild performance and 4S for higher performance using a Jazz 55 esc on my collective-pitch Corona and it works very well. I used a 35amp CC esc previously and it worked well... until I goofed up the polarity on a micro deans connector with a SmartBEC- not so smart.

If a motor says it will draw 25amps under full load, that most likely refers to laboratory conditions with light loading. A 25amp esc will probably handle it most of the time. Once mounted to the crutch and enclosed under a canopy, airflow may not be ideal so pushing the outer limits of what the esc can handle may not contribute to a reliable setup. Go with the next size up. Also, consider that you may change your motor and battery setup down the road and perhaps wish you had gone with the next size up from that. So with that in mind, get at least the 35 or the 45. Anything smaller than a 35amp esc for a Corona-sized bird limits your options.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Cambo

what if i got the multiplex 480 4d with the castle creations 35 amp esc. I haven't heard the best things about the multiplex esc.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Cambo

How would the great planes 35 amp esc work. They are only $50 on Tower
Old 04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Cambo

man, the great planes 45 amps are only 59 dollars. Will that work.

Basically, i am trying to find the cheapest brushless setup. This esc will run lipos in the furture also.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM
gadget01

Don't cheap out on the esc too much! This can be more expensive since buying a cheap one will only force you to buy another esc. My original Corona 120 setup had the Multiplex 480-4d motor (works fine with fixed-pitch) with the MultiPlex 35 esc. The MultiPlex esc I had did not have a soft voltage cutoff, which means when your battery pack is low enough to reach cutoff voltage, the esc completely cuts power to the motor- with no autorotation, the drag of the motor brakes the rotors to a complete halt, no matter if you're hovering 12 inches up or 12 feet up. This is VERY frustrating. You have to completely close your throttle to rearm the esc before you can power the motor again. A SmartBEC can do this soft cutoff function for you, but this just adds to your setup costs. Stay away from any esc with no soft cutoff for use in a heli unless you use a separate BEC that will gradually slow your motor down once you reach cutoff and then disable the cutoff function in the esc.

The CastleCreations 35 has soft cutoff. It's a widely used controller for good reasons. Kontronik Jazz controllers are also very good- I have used both with good results. I cannot comment on any others.

cheers
Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Cambo

I have decided to get the Phoenix 35 and multiplex 4d of tower. The only question i have is that the multiplex 480 brushless without the speed control is labeled as 4t not 4d. Some of the specs listed under were a little different. Am i looking at the right one?

By the way, what will my flight time be on those batteries.

Honestly 5 minutes is fine with me. After going through 2 v-max 7s i could only get the thing to stay running for 1-2 minutes (on a good day).
Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Cambo

Multiplex 3D has a very high rpm per volt (4,180)
Multiplex 4T has a lower rpm per volt (3,170)

Both engines cost $70
Which one is better?
Do you want more or less rpms per volt

I will be using a castle creations phoenix 35 with this motor
Still wondering about those batteries?
Does the 9 tooth pinion come with the $99 conversion kit from lite machines
Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 PM
theLane
My Feedback: (1)

I am building a new corona 120 and I am wondering what electronics I should get as well. i have the radio, but no motor, esc or servos. What did you end up getting and how is it working for you?

-=thanks=-