Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:52 PM
tr6_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions

Today I finally got to the point where I'm comfortable enough with the simulator to feel like I can give the real helicopter (Corona 120) a try.

Things generally went well, the chopper seems reasonably well trimmed and I can hover it pretty easily (though not completely stationary). However, I have 2 problems (one sserious and one not so serious) that I'm hoping people can help me with.

1) The helicopter seems to occasioanally glitch for a second. At least I think its a glitch. The motor will cut out, the chopper will, of course, drop like a rock and then the motor cuts back in. If the chopper is 3 feet off the ground the motor will come back on in time to keep me from bouncing on the ground so, its not off for long but, I can't imagine that I want to fly the chopper like this. I first suspected that the connectors were bad so I replaced the connectors on the helicopter and my batteries with deans plugs. That didn't help. I've tried powering up the chopper on the ground with the main rotor blades removed trying to see if I could find a loose or broken wire while its running but I can't make it glitch when its on the ground no matter what I do. Over the course of a 10 minute flight it will happen 2 or 3 times so, its not very common but, I have to fix it before I can really fly this thing. Any ideas on what to look at? The chopper is completely stock and set up like the manual suggests.

2) Whenever the chopper bounces on the ground (hard landing) the battery pops out of its mounting. Its set up as the manual suggests with velcro to hold the batteries in the little clips on the side of the crutch. That doesn't seem like the best arrangement. ANy suggestions on how to keep the batteries where they belong while I continue to learn how to fly this thing?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 2 questions

Okay, the best advice i can give you is to get a glitch reducer, hear is a link. I have not yet had an infligt glitch with this hooked up.

http://www.dynawebs.net/cgi_bin/addT...90578676f2633d

The only glitch i have had was today but was on the ground during a test spool up in my work bench. I am getting the new voyager landing gear were the battery is mounted underneath and was rearranging (spelling?) the electronic placement on the crutch. I found that the reciever and the esc were mounted to close and was causing the glitch. Fixed that problem by moving the reciever away from the esc. It all comes down to experimenting and eliminating one thing over the other.

Get the glitch reducer though.

Also, about the battery comming out. I used rubber bands around the them. Held them in pretty well.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
ufoman

In the glitch reducers instructions it says you can use the anti glitcher on the servo or the esc lead to the receiver. I'm guess the bec esc lead to the receiver is the best one to use? I would also think that one could shield the wires that come out of the ESC to the motor...that may cut down on some interference. Also I hear keeping the antenna wire and receiver clear of anything is best along with the gyro wire. They also say don't wrap the gyro wire up in the servo wires. The Corona radio setup instructions are set up for brush motors and I would think the brushless might add a little to interference with the 11khz-15khz outputed frequencies such as on a CC esc....just a guess. So separation of components for brushless is probably more critical.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
tr6_guy

Thanks for the tip, I ordered a gltich reducer today, hopefully that will help.

I've replicated the problem on my workbench now and I'm not sure its just the motor. I've notice that when the motor does glitch, all the servos also glitch. The problem seems most easily replicated if I run the chopper up to about half power and then apply some torque to the crutch, slightly twisting it to towards the right.

It seems odd to me (admittedly a novice at this) that the motor AND the servos all glitch at the same time. I also now question whether a glitch reducer between the receiver and the ESC will solve the problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
ufoman

If your running an aluminum crutch I would look for possible shorts to the crutch. Maybe a wire is being pinched somewhere? I would also ohm out the battery leads to make sure their is low ohms in the wires while moving the connector around. I've seen bad wires with high ohms. Last but not least I would install another Esc motor speed controller in the Helicopter and try that out because power has to be good and stable. And also make sure that the main gears are moving freely because the more the gears bind up the more amps it draws from the esc controller and possible glitches could arise.