Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

I melted my motor!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

I melted my motor!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
tr6_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I melted my motor!

OK, I'm new to electric helicopters so, I'm sure I did something stupid or, at least, failed to pay attention to something I should have been paying attention to but, the short story is, my motor melted. The end cap is deformed, the negative terminal is gone and the hole for the motor shaft is now off center. I've been racing RC cars for years but never have I seen a motor self destruct like this.

The motor was to original equipment Electro-Fusion 7-cell motor that came with the chopper when it was new (I'm the second owner).

I have a few questions.

1) How hot should these motors be getting after running a full pack through them. I'm used to motors getting pretty hot when running a 10 minute race with my touring car but, as I think about it, those motors all have metal end caps. Should the motor in a chopper not really be getting hot to the touch?\

2) What could have cause this to happen in the first place? With the motor disengaged the rotor and tail rotor all spin very freely. I recently tore the motor down, cleaned it, cut the comm and replaced the brushes. The motor should have been in great shape. When I just tore it down agaion I found that the brushes were already half gone even though I've only run 3 or 4 packs through it.

3) I obviously need a new motor. Should I just buy another Electro-Fusion motor or is there a better choice?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
pakaak3

Default RE: I melted my motor!

I suggest you go brushless which means you'll have to upgrade your ESC, etc. for brushless setups. The Mega motors 16/15/3 is a great brushless motor that has lasted me countless flights thus far.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

I agree, brushless is the way to go
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 PM
beaner

Hey tr6,
I melted an Electro-Fusion 7 too. I had the motor apart for service as it had many hours on it and needed new brushes, and upon reassembly, I got the timing wrong. Great balls of fire, it melted. Have since gone brushless and would never go back.

Beaner
Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
tr6_guy

Interesting. I suppose its possible I screwed up the timing when I put 8it back together but I tried to be really careful about that.

Any other possibilities as far as the motor overheating?
Is the general consensus that the Mega motors 16/15/3 is the right way to go?
What about the ESC, any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

I bought ad mutliplex 480 4d of tower along with a cc35. The whole package was like onse 130 with deans connectors and the tower discount.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
gadget01

The Mega 16-15-3 is a good match for 3S lipo packs. There are other good brushless motors as well. See if your LHS has any good deals going on a similar KV rated 400-size motor. A 45amp ESC is a better choice for the Corona vs a 35. It's just a tad overkill, which is just what you want. You won't have to worry about it not dealing with the load and you could use it later on with a stronger motor if you wanted. Caste Creations make good ESCs, but I've heard many have problems with them. I paid a bit extra and got a Kontronik Jazz after I heard so many rave about them.

Since the T-Rex 450 series is so close in size, many of the components match up well. Since the T-Rex is also so popular, parts are widely available.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 PM
tr6_guy

Today I had someone offer me an Align 35A ESC that they aren't using anymore. Anybody know anything about them? Near as I can tell its a brushless capable ESC that is made (or at least marketed) by the company that makes the T-Rex. The ESC itself says its for brushless motors and its programmable but that's about all I know about it.

Would I just be wasting my time trying to marry that with a brushless motor on a Corona?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Culver10

That ESC will work great on a Corona, I have one on my Corona.