Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

heading hold or not to heading hold

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

heading hold or not to heading hold

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 10:52 PM
grimlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heading hold or not to heading hold

I have heard a lot of good thinks about the gy240 and how well it locks the tail in.

I was just wondering if any one has experience with using both a heading hold gyro and a standard gyro. The reason i ask is that the gy240 is nearlly twice the price of most none heading hold gyros. and after buying most of the electronic equipment my budget seems to indicate that the gy240 is a little pricey.

Also the guy at the local hobby shop seems to feel that a heading hold gyro is a little over kill for a corona.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:31 PM
colstonman

I would recomend the heading hold gyro [maybe not that one] because on my corona is fairly dificult to fly when I get turbulant gusts because they spin me. chech it out with other people that know more tha I do before buying an expensive gyro.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:51 AM
Charlie

Heading Hold Absolutely You can still fly it in normal mode when learning, but when you advance with you flying you will want to use heading hold(you will need it) when you get into 3D stuff. Spend it now or spend it later .
Old 05-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Mini Boy

Hi Grimlock!

I agree with Charlie and Colstonman! Maybe you should think about it this way: Save $40.00 on the gyro then and spend $30.00 and a bunch of down time on repairs that you probably wouldn't have to do if you had put the HH GY-240 in to start with?

And then realize your mistake and spend $100 bucks on the GY-240 .... Hmmmm!?!

If funds are short, I would recommend waiting a bit and saving up the extra cabbage, as you will spend twice as much in the long run if you cheat in the beginning!

The GY-240 is worth it's weight in gold!

Incidentally, I wonder if the guy from the local hobby shop has actually flown a Corona??

My 2 cents.

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 05-10-2003, 07:24 PM
grimlock

thanks for the feed back everyone

guess i will be saving up for the gy240, one question though.

Charlie you mentioned that the heading hold would be used for the more advanced flying. DO you think this would apply to the corona (fixed pitch and all).

In future i do plan on getting a CP heli but at that time I will be done school and will have the money to buy the heli and the proper gyro.

Given this info do you think heading hold is really needed for a corona
Old 05-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Charlie

Even with a fixed pitch heli you should have a heading hold gyro. When learning you can fly in normal mode, but once you learn how to fly you will have to practice flying in heading hold. Heading hold flies a lot different then normal mode. Normal mode the tail will follow the nose, but in heading hold you will have to steer the tail(or I should say, steer the nose). After you learn to fly in normal mode, (practice, practice, practice) flying in heading hold, so when you do advance into a cp you will have the flying in heading hold down pat. You will need to know how to fly in heading hold sooner or later(if you stick with the hobby). Buy a heading hold gyro now and then you won't have to buy a second gyro later. You can use the same gyro on your cp when you get one. We all try and save money, and this is one way of doing it. This hobby can get very expensive if you let it.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 PM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

does the gy240 gyro install just like the pez? or does it have to go in a certian way, can it be on its side on the crutch or would i have to build a shelf to put it on?

also what gyro would you recomend? i would like to hear opinions. i was also looking at the GYA350 by futaba.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Charlie

No you can't put a gyro on it side, they have to stand up right. There are some gyro's that stand on there side but most stand up right. Read the manual, it will tell you which way to stand the gyro. There are a lot of good gyro's out there ( do some research)and buy what you can afford.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:26 PM
oosel

I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $100 to 150 i was looking at the Futaba GY240 but i dont see in its description ( at tower ) if its a head locking gyro? but i see the Futaba GYA350 says its a head locking, so far thats the one im leaning towards.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:21 AM
grimlock

gy240 is a heading hold gyro
Old 05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
GKurt

Default GY240 ---> GY401

Spring the extra $20 for the GY401 if you have a spare channel on your Rx. You then have the ability to switch between HH and non-HH mode in flight, which you might want to do when you advance to FF.

Greg
Old 05-15-2003, 08:02 PM
oosel

right now i dont have a extra channel so if i get the GY401 can i still use it? i will just have to manually switch it if needed until i get a new radio correct?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:42 PM
GKurt

W/O the remote connected to a spare channel, the 401 will default to non-HH mode, and there would be no (simple) way to force it to HH mode.

Greg
Old 05-16-2003, 11:29 PM
oosel

ok, is the GY240 or GY 350 set up so i can use them without the extra chanel? is there a gyro that is set up with a manual switch and set up to use with a extra channel, so when later on if i buy a better radio i can use it?

thanks for all the help here guy's you allready saved me from buying one i could not use lol
Old 05-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Oosel!

I have the GY-240 and it has a little DIP switch on it to set the HH on or off, and another to set the operation to normal or reverse, depending on where you mount it.

Happy Choptering,

Russ