Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

LMH Vmax 7 engine

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH Vmax 7 engine

Old 06-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Spiro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMH Vmax 7 engine

Fastlash,

I have posted the pictures in a separate thread as to not bog this one down. They can be found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...25&forumid=192

These are still at full resolution, just cropped down to the important parts. There is now no reason to download the huge file, which I have removed.

For what it is worth,
Spiroo
Old 06-30-2003, 02:35 AM
Spiro

Just thought I would note how impressed I was with LiteMachine's service and shipping.

After a very friendly phone call on Monday they immediately offered to replace my engine, as well as getting some questions answered by Paul who was most helpful. I shipped my engine that same Monday.

Paul called back on Thursday to let me know they had received my engine and shipped a new one back to me. Paul also answered a couple more questions.

The new engine arrived on Saturday of the same week. Basically a 5 day turnaround.

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 06-30-2003, 02:40 AM
Spiro

While talking with Paul at LiteMachines, I mentioned I was seeing 2200+ rpm at the head on 6/6 grips during break in and had to reduce throttle in order to not overspeed the head past the factory 2000 rpm spec.

Paul said that 2200 rpm sounded right for the Vmax7 and that this speed does not pose a problem for the head. He also noted that this should provide a 35mph climbout speed! Man that Vmax7 must be a rocket. I can’t wait to get mine going.

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 06-30-2003, 05:42 AM
darthdrk

I can probably see a climb out speed of 35 mph with 6-6 blade grips but not with the 4-4s. Ive been getting in quite a bit of stick time. you can definitely fly(pull)out of your rotor wash quickly with the V7. Ive been flying with my bell222 fuselage mounted on my LMH. When making nose in approaches it puts me in a state of awe. Im like wow. Really cool. The v7 has alot of reserve power if and when you need it. Flying with the heaviest fuselage i make(bell222) there is more than enough power. With 4-4 grips Im flying in some really breezy weather. It gets kinda hairy sometimes trying to maintain a hover. Constantly working the throttle control to maintain altitude. With nose in the wind ive litterally cut throttle down to less than 1/3 and still maintained my altitude(it was really breezy). So Far my V7 is Outstanding. I know Litemachines got a bad batch in from the supplier and I dont blame Litemachines for that. They really make an effort to satisfy the end user well, at least they did for me. I definitely try to encourage flyers interested in learning helicopters to buy a LMH. Though I dont collect a commission for a sell, I know Ive sold a few at my LHS. Ive even put on a little showing at a park near my LHS. They all got a kick out of it. Im thinking about buying two more in the future Id like to get a corona and another gas 117.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Dot-RCU

Default Glow plug adapter

This is directed to Notasme.

I'm really interested in your glow plug adapter since I'm located in Sweden and there is no importer for the LMH Helicopter here.

If you could publish some pics on the adapter here would be Great

//Dot
Old 07-27-2003, 12:59 AM
Spiro

After 13 tanks here is what I have found:

* The Vmax7 is still running strong and the wrist pin shows no sings of creeping.

* Running with bricks on the skids I get 11 minutes at 2000rpm using the stock tank, 4/4 grips, 20% fuel, and 3 washers. Max head speed using this configuration was 2250rpm while still running plenty rich.

* I flew my first tank (Lucky #13) and was not hugely impressed with the performance. It was in the upper 90’s today (hot hot hot!) and on 4/4 grips. I think I will give things a try with the 6/6’s I am used to flying. While head speed was high and the stability was good, I didn’t feel like I just had loads of power or anything. I still need to take out a couple of washers and bump up the nitro to get to the 1 washer @ 25% that Paul at LMH recommended me.

* On the plus side, the engine ran great with no complaints on a very hot day for the Vmax6.

* Tail rotor response is also significantly improved at higher head speed. Hmm…

For what that is worth,
Spiro
Old 08-01-2003, 04:08 AM
flyday

Default Norvel .061

Hi Guys
I have a lite machine model 110
I run a Norvel .061

It is a nice helicopter, it is a shame about the engine. Not enough oomf to get off the ground. Is there a good engine out there that is reliable?

John
Old 08-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Spiro

I have my LMH set up a bit closer to how I normally run now:

* 6/6 grips
* 30% nitro fuel
* 1 washer (as recommended by litemachines)
* needle just rich of optimum lean

I get just over 10 minutes at a constant 2000 rpm on the ground using the stock tank. This is above hover speed and I have not timed a single tank hover. Max head speed is around 2150 rpm and the acceleration spooling the rotor up and down very snappy.

I have perhaps 20 tanks through the engine now and it has been doing great. Almost all of my flying has been in very hot weather. I would never have been able to run the Vmax6 on these hot days. The Vmax7 is a Tiny Beast in comparison! Loads of power, great throttle response, idles better, no overheating, and generally fewer problems.

I am happy to be able to agree with all the people who have been raving about the Vmax7's great performance. This leaves the Vmax6 in the dust

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 08-02-2003, 01:36 AM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Amen!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: LMH Vmax 7 engine

Your running regular airplane fuel in it??? I have omega 15% heli fuel and wildcat 15% airplane fuel i just bought the heli used, engine is new. What fuels should i use and how many washers. I also have 25% heli fuel. should i just use that???
Old 07-15-2004, 08:54 PM
lyk2fly

Howdy SexyPizzaMan: if its a vmax7 2-3 washers should be fine. I run Omega 20% (pink stuff). 6 1/2 gallons and the engine is still fine! Whatever fuel you use make sure it has castor oil as its main lube ingredient. They say that there are some fuels that will foul the glow plug. Check out the Lite Machines web page under troubleshooting or FAQs.
Mark
Old 08-28-2004, 07:43 PM
SexyPizzaMan

I had my hel problem. Tank 4 or 5. I was flying and then clink the clutch flys off and spins on the ground like a top. I thought it was a joke. I walked up put it on went over to electri start and nothin turning. I knew imediatly after reading these forums what happened. I was kinda mad cause it was my first day heli flyin and it breaking wasnt even my fault. I guess ill just lube up my new engine much better. And lube it befor every single flight and after every flight. To make that junk last. Hey how are those full fusalages working on the gas 117???? Do i need to cut a hole so the cooling head can vent. I have norvel 25% fuel. How many washers should i use for break in or regular flight??
Old 08-28-2004, 07:56 PM
darthdrk

ORIGINAL: SexyPizzaMan

Hey how are those full fusalages working on the gas 117???? Do i need to cut a hole so the cooling head can vent. I have norvel 25% fuel. How many washers should i use for break in or regular flight??
You will have to cut a hole for the Heat sink. Its about a two inch round hole. If its done neatly, it looks pretty good. On the Vmax7 con rod, its not necessarily the fault of the operator that the con rods break. It is a manufacturing defect. It took me four bad engines before I got a good one. I have about five gallons of fuel through the Vmax7 engine I have on it now.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:31 AM
KLRico

I'm on my 3rd. It doesn't look too promising either. Lite machines has been better than helpful in replacing them. Unfortunately I still get stuck with the bill of replacing things that break when the heli falls out of the air.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 AM
darthdrk

ORIGINAL: KLRico

I'm on my 3rd. It doesn't look too promising either. Lite machines has been better than helpful in replacing them. Unfortunately I still get stuck with the bill of replacing things that break when the heli falls out of the air.
I know what you mean. By the time you add up crash damage and shipping costs, it can be pretty discouraging. Sooner or later you'll get that one that is good. LMH needs to find a better supplier to make a Heli engine for their product. Im sure the tooling wont be cheap.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:51 PM
SexyPizzaMan

MY NEW ENGINE DEAD. I just got my new piston set i go to put it in and see a dent inside the engine where the piston rod hit. I look on the outside and its cracked and leaks air. The whole engine is garbage. What do i do. Should i call Lite machines and see if they will replace it, even thou i bought it from a different website??? How many rings do i put during break in for the engine, 5 and then go down to 4?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:22 PM
KLRico

I started with 5...

where did you get your engine? call them and find out... They've been extremely helpful with replacing my engines so far. Last time they sent me one the day I called, even before I sent them my broken one. I got it in 3 days.

If only they would replace glow plugs under warranty (actually I've never asked... yet) It sucks having one blow the first time you use it... $5 down the drain in 10 seconds.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
SexyPizzaMan

How many tanks of break in should i do befor i can hoover?? I did 2 tanks of going rich for 2 min then a little lean for 2 min then rich 2 min exetra for 2 tanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran mine on the workbench (2nd tank) with an airplane prop and head..seem to have misplaced my heli head..am gonna take time to break it..hopefully I will have time to put it back together over labor day....Rog
Old 08-31-2004, 08:45 AM
KLRico

I start doing some flying once the engine holds a needle setting. Even then, I run it conservatively rich.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM
piper511

I just recently purchased a Lite Machines 117, with the V-max 7. I have been reading your forums and it looks like you guys know what your talking about. I have been running my engine on an engine stand for quite some time, but everytime I go to start it the engine gets all jammed up. I notice this happens at the top of the stroke. Is this normal after 5 tanks of runnning, if not what should I do?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Piper511:

Did you buy the LMH 117 new, or used ?

Did you, perchance, read any of these Lite Machines threads before your purchase ... ??

Just inquisitive.

Chat later,

Russ
Old 12-31-2005, 03:38 PM
bob Obregon

Hi this is piper511 and your not going to belive what happened to me engine, yep the conrod broke and now I'm left with a limp engine. The funny thing is I had already run like 10 tanks through it. I first started noticing something weird when my motor was having a hard time getting up to speed. I would start up the heli; ideling nice like usaual, but the motor sounded rich like it was having a hard to clearing itself out. Oscilating the throttle I could get it to start running up to speed. Three flights went by like this and finally the third when it got up to speed clink. I knew exactly what it was. I had a really hard time getting it started for the first time, for my dad said my starter was too slow. Are the new engines ok, what should I do to prevent this.

I bought it new!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Bob:

If you've read the other posts in this thread, you know that those V-Maxx's caused many folks many problems. I can't give you an honest answer, as I have a LMH 120 Corona, brushless electric power ... NO troubles, NO mess. The others have contacted LMH and have had no problems getting the engines replaced, including the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on. I'm sure LMH knows the engines are a problem, but they don't seem to be doing anything about a more reliable replacement.

Good Luck,

Russ
Old 12-31-2005, 05:56 PM
lyk2fly

Sorry to hear that piper511....but it wasn't anything that you did to cause the problem. Most of the vmax-7s have wrist pin / piston defects resulting in severe engine failure.....usually the connecting rod breaking. There are a few good vmax-7s. I managed to get one....it has about 7-8 gallons of fuel thru it and it still flies the heli fine....unfortunately this seems to be the exception....not the rule. Mini Boy is right about the electrics...they are the better way to go. I never did get a Corona but I do have a Piccolo Pro and I love it. Just charge and fly. I do still fly nitro....both a LM 117 and a Century Hawk....but the Picco gets the most use.....no flight box to carry....no oily residue....no fuel to buy.... no clink!
I do believe that Lite Machines will replace the engine but it may take you several tries to get a good one.
I hope all goes well,
Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.