LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

mounting hacker brushless on corona

Old 05-14-2003, 12:25 AM
grimlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default mounting hacker brushless on corona

I just purchased a hacker brushless motor (b40 12s) and noticed that the origional monting holes do not match up. I was thinking about filling the holes with epoxy and some fiber glass and then drilling new holes.

Just wondering how the rest of you tackled this one.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:18 AM
gmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used Hacker c40 12s and the mounting holes are exact match.. not sure bout b40..
Old 05-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Mini Boy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Grimlock!

Gmaster is right, the Hacker C-40-12 is a "drop in" replacement for the original equipment "Fusion" (and other) motors for the Corona.

Assuming the motor you have is really a "B" series, according to the Hacker website, the "B" series motors have an attached geardrive, as in "aeroplane " application for a 8 in. to 10 in. prop. ... Click on the link below for more info:

http://www.hackerbrushless.com/motors_b40.shtml

I hope you don't have the wrong motor ... ! ? ! ?
The "C" series should bolt right up!

OOPS!... Now that I checked to see if the link worked, I noticed that there is a chart showing BOTH geared and direct drive motors. I just have to say that all the posts that I have seen about Hacker brushless motors on these forums (for a Corona) has been referenced to a "C" series.

Hope this is of some help (as I have confused myself!),

Russ
Old 05-14-2003, 06:08 PM
grimlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looked into this and it seems that the c40 12s and b40 12s have the same internals but the c series has a built in heat sink. I can get a heat sink for my motor for $11 will i need this how hot does a brushless motor get?

Also i got the motor to fit with out any modification.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Mini Boy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Grimlock!

I have the C-40-12, which has the machined cooling fins on the case. After 8 consecutive ten minute flights within a 2 hour period, you can hold your fingers on any part of that motor for as long as you want. I would guess at 110 to 120 degrees F or so.

I am not familiar with the "B" series motor, so I don't know whether the heat sink is needed, but I'm sure someone will come along with the answer.

I can say, though, that the smoothness, power and low maintenance of the brushless motors is a "boon to mankind"!

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 05-15-2003, 09:10 PM
grimlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What esc do you guys use, i have the hacker master heli 40-3p.

The instructions that came with it are not very clear, when selecting the mode i want normal (mode 1) and not the constant speed (mode 2). Is this correct?

Also how do you program mode 1 or 2, the instructions cover freq and timing programing but not mode selection.

thanks again
Old 05-15-2003, 10:04 PM
gmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I asked that same questions in another forum and Ron Osinski aka - GMRO gave me the rundown on the master heli ESC... (this is long but has the information you need)

=====================

I would suggest that you run the Hacker ESC in the STD throttle mode and not the gov mode. Fixed pitch helis will fly better with linear throttle settings.

The Hacker ESC's will beep one short beep if you are in the STD throttle setting...DEE. They will beep one short beep followed by a tone if you are in gov mode...De-DEE. This happens when you first plug in the battery pack to the ESC. To program the Hacker Heli Master ESC's you can follow the directions below. Keep in mind I use the gov mode on my V-E which has collective pitch. So when I plug in my ESC as referenced in these instructions I hear the De-DEE sound since it's set up for gov mode. If you have your ESC set to STD throttle you will only hear 1 short tone...DEE as you follow the instructions.

First note that the throttle stick position on the transmitter is what puts the ESC into the set up mode. By having the throttle stick all the way up at the full throttle position when the ESC is plugged into the battery allows the programming of the ESC. If you do not wish to program or reprogram the ESC the throttle stick should be left at full down OFF position.

TEST THE ESC

The only way to check which mode your ESC is programmed for presently, meaning GOVENOR ON or OFF is to plug in the ESC to the battery and listen closely. If you hear 1 short beep...DEE the gov is OFF and the ESC is in STD throttle mode. If you hear a short beep and a short tone...De-DEE the gov is ON. This should be done with the throttle stick at full down meaning the throttle off position for this test.

BASIC PROGRAMMING

To activate the GOVERNOR mode or to deactivate it follow this TOGGLE programming procedure. Note; this mode can only be changed once per energizing the ESC and going into this set up mode each time you plug in the main battery pack. You can unplug and replug the battery pack to reprogram the ESC at any time. Put the throttle stick at full throttle position and connect the battery pack to the ESC. You will hear a sound. It will either be a short beep or the short beep followed by the short tone. As soon as you hear the sound return the throttle stick to the lowest throttle off position and listen for the NEXT sound the ESC makes. Once you hear this sound the ESC has been programmed and it is armed as well so be careful. Now unplug the ESC and return the throttle stick to off full down position. Now follow the TEST procedure above to check to see what mode the ESC is in. Remember, it is a TOGGLE program since this mode can only be changed once per connecting the battery pack to the ESC and doing this procedure.

ADVANCED PROGRAMMING

To change the TIMING first put the throttle stick back at full throttle position and connect the battery pack to the ESC. You will again hear the sound. BUT THIS TIME LEAVE THE THROTTLE STICK AT FULL POSITION, DO NOT RETURN IT TO LOWEST THROTTLE POSITON. Now the ESC will begin after about 2 seconds the timing sequence beeps. You will hear 5 short single BEEPS in a row. At any time you can move the throttle stick back to the lowest throttle off position to CAPTURE and set the timing mode. Timing mode 1 or the 5 short single BEEPS is the OPTIMUM HACKER 2 to 5 degree timing mode recommended by Hacker for use with their brushless motors. It is OPTIMIZED for the best power and duration. However if you want to try the 10-degree timing mode you can wait until you get past the 5 short single BEEPS. You will then hear 5 double BEEPS in a row. This is the 10-degree and maximum rpm mode for the HACKER motors. This range will deliver more power but at the cost of using up more battery power per flight. This is the maximum TIMING range that Hacker recommends for their brushless motors. If you want this timing mode at any point during the series of 5 double BEEPS just move the throttle stick to the lowest throttle off position to CAPTURE this timing setting. If you have a motor that is different from the HACKER brand you can wait and the pick the timing mode the directions suggest for your type of motor that came with your motor. You should double check the instructions that came your motor so you donít damage it by running a timing range incompatible with your brushless motor. Basically to CAPTURE the different timing ranges just wait until the ESC begins the series of timing BEEP sequences that the directions say to use for your motors timing range and return the throttle stick to the lowest throttle off position. REMEMBER, if you make an error just unplug the battery pack from the ESC, wait 5 seconds and re-start this procedure from the full throttle stick position as you re-connect the battery pack to the ESC. The TIMING mode can only be changed once per each connection of the battery pack. Once the ESC captures the timing mode when you returned the throttle the lowest throttle off position the ESC will make the De-DEE sound to let you know the setting has been CAPTURED. At this point the ESC is armed and power will be delivered to the motor now as soon as you raise the throttle stick from this point.

MORE ADVANCED PROGRAMMING

For FREQUENCY, mode 1 is what is recommended for the HACKER brushless motors. The ESC programming procedure is similar to the TIMING range programming procedure except you must wait for the ESC to reach the FREQUENCY mode set up beeps which is after the TIMING mode set up beeps. Start with the throttle stick at full throttle position and plug in the battery pack to the ESC. Listen for the sound...De-DEE. Leave the throttle stick all the way up. NOW the ESC will run through the entire TIMING mode BEEP sequences 1 at a time. It will do 5 single BEEPS, then 5 double BEEPS, then 5 triple BEEPS and then 5 quad BEEPS. These are all TIMIMG mode set up BEEPS. Then there will be a short moment of no sound and the ESC will begin the FREQUENCY set up mode BEEPS. Refer to the instructions that came with your brushless motor for the FREQUENCY mode recommended. For HACKER's it is the first FREQUENCY mode. This means when the ESC begins the 5 single BEEPS simply move the throttle stick at any time during these BEEPS the lowest throttle off position to CAPTURE it. If your motor requires a different FREQUENCY just wait until you hear the 5 sequences of BEEPS, which are doubles, triples, and quads that represent that FREQUENCY mode and move the throttle stick to the lowest throttle off position during them. Again if you mess up just unplug the battery, wait 5 seconds and re-start the procedure by re-connecting the battery pack to the ESC. Keep in mind if you restart and want to reset the FREQUENCY mode the ESC must run through the TIMING mode BEEPS again too. As long as you don't move the throttle stick at any point it will keep what you have already set for governor mode and TIMING mode and then go into the FREQUENCY mode set up. As in the timing mode capture, once the ESC captures the frequency mode when you returned the throttle the lowest throttle off position during this set up the ESC will make the De-DEE sound to let you know the setting has been CAPTURED. At this point the ESC is armed and power will be delivered to the motor now as soon as you raise the throttle stick from this point.

Once you set the governor mode, timing, and or frequency you don't have to do this again unless you wish to change it. Also remember that the ESC is armed almost immediately once you plug in the battery pack with the throttle stick at the lowest throttle off position to fly. You will hear the sound telling you the ESC is armed...De-DEE. Be careful and manually move the throttle stick slowly upward to get everything spooled up to fly and before you engage any idle up throttle curves to activate the governor mode as well. It is recommended to set up the NORMAL throttle curve mode on your transmitter linear. Example, 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. You can set up idle up 1 and 2 for a straight 75% or higher number in all the throttle points. Example, 75%, 75%, 75%, 75%, 75% or higher. Do not from a complete dead stop engage the governor mode at the shown example values above. The Hacker ESC's, while they are smooth and efficient and maintain governor modes well, do not feature a soft ramp up of power from a complete dead stop. If you flip to the higher Idle Up values from a complete dead stop the ESC will immediately attempt to run the motor up EXTREMLY QUICK which can do quite a bit of damage to the helis gear train as well as other parts.

It is also recommended to run the Heli ESC values for the GOVENOR mode no lower than 75% across the throttle curves on the transmitter. I have found the best efficiency for power and duration is between 75% to 85% on the governor values. Higher values can be used without problem but lower than 75% can risk overheating of the motor and ESC. You can experiment with the values. If you find you need to run the ESC lower than 75% in governor mode due to excessive mainrotor rpms you may need to change your pinion gear on your motor to a lower gear count to better match the gear ratio of your motor and heli.

Again.. Thanks goes out to Ron Osinski aka - GMRO for the above information..
Old 05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
gmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i hope that helps you out.. if not.. do a search on this and other forums online.. we all help each other..

i have a Hacker c40-12s with the Hacker master heli 40-3p ESC and i left it default in Mode 1.. and i have had ZERO problems
Old 05-16-2003, 04:57 PM
grimlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks a lot gmaster, you answered all my questions.

Looks like i was running in gov mode. Will set to normal and give you an update
Old 05-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Mini Boy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gmaster:

GREAT job of sharing GOOD info!

It's terrific for all of us to be able to help others, whether new to the hobby or not.

Thanks for GREAT input!

Happy Choptering,

Russ