Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Continue with the Corona 120????

Quick story:

Here is a list of my current equipment:

1. A beat up wooden crutch Corona 120 with dented (but straight) aluminum tail boom. Stock Fusion brushed motor. Stock Fusion 35 ESC. A bag of parts to get it all straightened out and set up like new.

2. Hitec Laser 4 TX and (currently broken) Hitec 555 RX. The RX is no longer available but supposedly a suitable replacement can be ordered.

3. Futaba GY240 AVCS gyro.

4. IntelliPeak Pulse Charger.

5. Two 3300 Mah NiMH battery packs.

Everything listed above is nearly a decade old.

Quick questions: Fix it and attempt to learn to fly? Upgrade it and attempt to learn to fly? Sell it and buy something new?

Long story:

I attempted to make the move from nitro cars / trucks to electric helicopters years ago with not much success. I bought a Corona 120 and promptly went through many booms and rotors attempting to hover it in the basement. I was OK at hovering and tried to progress to forward flight and ended up with some major crashes and rebuilds. About 7 years ago I decided to do another full rebuild. I bought a BT stock replacement CF crutch, CF boom, some head parts, flybar, upgraded main shaft, rotors, 3300 mah batteries, etc. Shortly after this, I ended up moving and got sidetracked and moved on to other hobbies (see user name).

Fast forward to this past week. For some reason, I got the itch to dig out the Corona and attempt to get it working again. I still had the bag of unopened 7 year old "new" parts and an almost ready to fly Corona. The only thing I needed to get flying was batteries. I had destroyed the original set of batteries but had two "new" 3300 mah NiMH packs in the bag. The new batteries had deans so I soldered a deans connector on the heli and charged up the TX and battery packs.

Observations:

1. 7 year old battery packs don't take a good charge. I am probably charging them wrong but I was impatient. I have an IntelliPeak Pulse Charger. I set it on 3.0 and let it rip. and got a good 15 second attempt at hovering in my living room. LOL..

2. It is just as hard to hover as I remember it being.

3. I really need to go through and rebuild this thing and get it setup right.

4. Every charge of the battery gets me a little more "attempt to hover" time.

5. Running the heli into the couch is not good for the couch or the heli.

6. My GF is very interested in seeing this thing fly and attempting to fly herself.

After the couch incident, I started having issues with the RX. I think a solder joint cracked. I can squeeze the RX and get it to work but when I let go, I get nothing. During my search online for a new RX, I decided to see how technology has changed in the last decade since I bought my Corona. I was extremely impressed with videos I saw on YouTube and such. I decided to hit up my LHS and pick up an RX and ask their opinion on an indoor heli that the GF could mess around with and learn the basics. I had a CX2 or MCX in mind and was amazed when I walked into the store to an MCX buzzing around the shop. The precision and control of that little heli was amazing compared to my Corona. After asking about the RX and finding out they did not have one in stock, I asked a bit more about the MCX and and was quickly convinced to purchase one and a few spare batteries. My quest for heli flight has been renewed by this crazy piece of modern technology. Unfortunately, my quest is being held back by the lack of an available RX at any of my three LHS.

Sooooooo..... on to the questions.

My main question is: Should I continue my quest with the Corona and my near decade old TX, RX, gyro, charger, batteries? Should I upgrade some of my components? Should I just start again with something completely new?

The minimum investment I would need to invest to get this thing off the ground is about 60 bux for a new RX and possibly some new battery packs. Is it worth it? Should I invest the money into a different TX/RX?

I am not sure if the batteries will come back to life. I had the charger run auto discharge / recharge cycles on the batteries for about 12 hours on each battery. The charge / discharge time increased significantly so I think it helped. Should I discharge completely and slow charge each pack now? Any suggestions? Toss them and get new packs?

Is the gyro outdated? Should I invest in a HH gyro to make attempting to fly a bit easier?

Is the Corona outdated? I see there are plenty of hop up parts available that claim to make flying easier. Is their something you would recommend to make the jump to FF easier? Belt drive? Belt drive tail? Brushless motor and ESC? Assuming upgrades are the way to go, is it actually worth it? Is the money just better spent on a modern technology RTF with belts, CP, brushless, lipo batteries?

Ultimately, I am trying to find the best cost to benefit ratio. If you feel what I have now is suitable to learn on, fly, and enjoy with just a 60 dollar investment in an RX, then I will go that route. If you think that upgrades on the heli and or equipment is the way to go, is it worth the investment or should I just buy a new chopper?

Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Ivan
    There is a very fine line between β€œhobby” and β€œmental illness.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Continue with the Corona 120????

Problem: Where to buy Corona parts?

Learning solution: Simulator.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Same problem here, can't find parts. I love the LMH, its my favorite heli to just bash and have fun with. I hope it isn't a dead bird.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got a glow lmh just sitting, not sure what parts you need or will fit both,,rx should be ok just new batts is all...pm me maybe we can work something out have 2 crutches and lots of parts just takin up space....Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying the Corona 120 for almost 7 months. I bought a TREX 450 at the same time but until now, I flew the Corona almost exclusively. I also purchased RealFlight G4 simulator. Following is my recommendation based on my my experiences:

1. Keep the Corona. You will not find a more durable helicopter out there. Fly it until your confidence has built up. Yes a Flight Sim helps but there is no substitute for the real thing. Plus the machines in the FlightSim are perfectly tuned. Your real bird more than likely is not.

2. There is still plenty of OEM Corona parts to be purchased. Mike Roffee at http://roffeetvhobby.com/ carries a good inventory at a fair price. Very nice guy too.

3. Do not buy aftermarket parts. Yes they help but keep things simple and cheap for now.

4. I purchased a Spektrum DX7 transmitter for the Trex and use it also for my Corona. You just have to buy another 2.4GHz receiver. The good thing is that you will reuse both of these when you upgrade to a new machine.

5. I use 3S 2100mAH lipos instead of the NiMH. Flight times last longer and the batteries can be used on the more modern machines (like the TREX450).

6. I also invested in a used FMA CoPilot. This is a cheat for hovering, but I mostly use it as an "oh sh*t" switch when I get into trouble.

After 7 months, I feel realy confident with basic flying manauvers. I am only now flying the TREX 450 to get into 3d. The TREX 450 is easier to control and is more stable IMO because its a Collective Pitch bird. However it is small. I am now looking at the Century Swift 16. Lots of good reviews, plentiful and cheap parts, and is a good size (more stable in the wind and easy to keep track of when flying).

If you want to buy a new machine. Go with the Swift 16, otherwise I would stick with the Corona. If you dont want it anymore, I will buy it from you!

PS - Your GY240 is perfectly fine as a HH gyro. That and the GY401 are still widely used and are known for not drifting much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

check out this verrrry interesting thread...

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=118515
    Raptor50V2,30V2β”‚Logo10-3Dβ”‚Gaui 200|Kaos40-SJ50|GPUS1000-OS1.60FX| AW90/120-MLD28|Reactor1.60-DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! Looks like the brothers sold their tool & die to Multiplex.

Good news to all the ex-Corona owners!

Hate the frame though. How are you supposed to put anything bigger than a 3S 2250 in there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3S 2200 gets me 12 minutes of mild flight so that aint to bad.

Thanks for posting the link. Hopefully we have another place for parts inventory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

before bret of chopper-1 went out of business, he gave me a few delrin parts in case i broke one...matt shumacher might still be making cf after-market parts which he sells direct or through helihobby...i might get the multiplex corona just for bashing...here's a pic of my corona in its latest configuration...too heavy and flys like a pig...ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75152.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	1130595  
    Raptor50V2,30V2β”‚Logo10-3Dβ”‚Gaui 200|Kaos40-SJ50|GPUS1000-OS1.60FX| AW90/120-MLD28|Reactor1.60-DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

9sec240 how did you make out with resurecting your Corona?
    AMA #Simages
    AMYA #16484
    Sharing Information, Technology and Experience

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Simages

9sec240 how did you make out with resurecting your Corona?
    I ended up picking up a new Hitec RX and getting it back in the air. It did not take long till the brushes wore out in the motor. In the mean time, I picked up a CX3 (that sucked) and then a CX2 and had a CX donated to the cause. Then I got a B400 and then a CP Pro2 and then another B400 and another MCX and then a Trex450 and then another CPP2 and another B400 and a donated Hawk 30...................................

so.... I replaced the brushes in the Corona and fixed it up a little bit and basically it is old and flies kind of crummy and smells bad (the brushed motor gets HOT). I am getting a lot better at flying and am just now starting to get outside now that the weather is nice. I flew a lot at the local golf dome this past winter and the Corona was a bit large and scary for that plce. I plan on busting out the Corona as my "practice and teach" heli. I am sure if I invested a bit more time in it, I could probably get it flying better but if it ends up just being a bash around heli... whats the point.
    Ivan
    There is a very fine line between β€œhobby” and β€œmental illness.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YAY!! I love the LMH! Thanks Multiplex for saving an awesome heli. Now if we could only convince someone to remake the norvel engines, so i can have my nitro back.....