Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Best Shocks you can get for LOsi XXL??

Old 12-11-2010, 06:20 PM
rcguy1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Shocks you can get for LOsi XXL??

Hey guys,

Im looking to get me some upgraded shocks for my Losi LST XXL because these stocks always want to start leaking it seems after some good old bashing. What is the best upgrade I can buy for shocks where the damn things wont leak all the time. Thanks and Happy Bashing!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Best Shocks you can get for LOsi XXL??

LST2 shocks.. Does the XXL have plastic shocks?? LST2 shocks are about as good as you can get...

Get some RC Raven dual-rate springs too.. If you're jumping a lot with too soft(or hard, for that matter..) a suspension setup that might cause problems....
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Mclovin350z

You need to use some associated green slime on the o-rings at the top and bottom of the shock when you put them together. Mine were leaking when the truck was brand new, since the slime and about 1.5 gallons of running, they haven't leaked a drop.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 AM
rcguy1979

Yeah just one shock up front keeps leaking. I really have not been jumping to many big jumps but I guess its been enough to make the one start seeping some. I would really like to have some aluminum filled shocks on here with some yellow springs. But I guess I will try the slime and o-ring trick until then. Wheres the best place to get the slime and better orings for these stock shocks? Thanks for the feedback everyone..
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM
rcguy1979

Yeah I did soften up the shocks so it wouldnt be so damn rigid going into turns. I wonder if that is what might be making them leak. Im still pretty new to alot of this stuff but Im learning as I go. Maybe I will tighten them up a little more and just do a sway bar on this rig. I just mainly want to make this thing as tough as possible which will lead to less downtime...
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

LST shocks are the best in the biz. Get a rebuild kit and give them a thorough rebuild.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Mclovin350z

The green slime just helps the O-rings seatbetter when you assemble them. I found it quite tricky getting the O-rings in place without it. You probably need the new parts now anyway, but follow the instructions and bleed them correctly or they will blow out. Oh yeah, who wouldn't want aluminum shocks? LOL the slime will help make your stock or aluminum shocks leak free.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM
rcguy1979

Rock on with the green stuff. Found a tube of it on ebayand its already on order. Thanks for the good info on the slime.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM
ntrain42

The stock shocks are actually the best period. If you want to make em more durable or want some alloy bling(which is really not necessary), then get the Losi hard anodized bodies and Tini coated shock shafts. Also, its common for the stock shocks to leak because they were assembled poorly. Many times the sealing o-rings are torn from fast/careless assembly. Get yourself some spare O-rings and AE green slim. All my origns were shredded when I got my truck.

Again it comes down to how well the RTR is built. THey build em poorly. I suggest you tear the truck down 100% and rebuild it with care yourself. You will be surprised at what you can improve on just from a simple rebuild.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Mclovin350z

+1 on that. Mine has been mostly rebuilt and only has 1.5 gallons through it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

+1 on that. Mine has been mostly rebuilt and only has 1.5 gallons through it.
I have the blue aluminum bodies and blue alum caps with the regular shafts and haven't had any leaks on my lst2's. Personally I'm not sold on the dual rate springs. I use a softer spring setting (i have threaded bodies) and thicker shock oil and have good results. Also - sway bars help a bit in the turning. I use the soft swaybar up front and stiff one out back. For speed running, I use the light one out back and none up front. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
rcguy1979

Yep I will be ripping the entire suspension apart for cleaning in the next day or so to learn that area first. Then I plan on removing the transmission and whole slipper gear setup. I went nuts buying all backup parts of every main component through Jennys RC off of Ebay. You name the part I got it including 2 extra 454 engines with complete clutch assembly. 1 I plan on keeping and the other Im going to put the flywheel,shoes,pullstarter and Clutch bell on it and sell it as a complete engine kit for the Losi XXL.Ended up spending around 300 for everything which I though was a great deal if you look at this giant box of new parts I have. Bring on the jumps I say because if it breaks I got it covered. Im still having issues with the damn outdrive cup slipping out of the brake disc so looking forward to rebuilding all of that under the chassis. Thanks guys..........
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
rcguy1979

Yeah I like the blue aluminum bodies and caps with yellow springs so I guess thats what Im going to rebuild with. I did not realize you could use the stock shock parts though to completely rebuild them. Im a noob on alot of stuff like that so Im learning as I go. Thanks for the good info bro... Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Mclovin350z

So you're the one out-bidding me on all that stuff at Jenny's!! LOL. That's ok I'm only looking for the ridiculously low prices. You could always try the 8ight-t brake disc I was talking about.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
rcguy1979

Yep that wasme Mclovin350z... LOL Nothing Like good old Auction Defender for winning ebay auctions while you are away.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM
rcguy1979

Yeah Mclovin I think I will try and get me some of them 8ight brake disc and see if that helps some. One thing im curious about is how deep everyones grub screw goes down in the outdrive cup next to the brake disc. If anyone has a pic that would be greatly appreciated. I also want to see how close the shaft pins are to the edge of the cup compared to mine. Thanks guys and if you all want to see a pic of mine before it slides out again let me know. Never had this issue before on any other vehicle I have owned.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Mclovin350z

The cvd pins usually ride out toward the edge of the cup, that's normal. They do that to make repairs easier, mainly transmission removal. My xxl is put away but I'll try to look at the grub screws later and maybe snap a pic of the brake.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

ORIGINAL: rcguy1979

Yeah Mclovin I think I will try and get me some of them 8ight brake disc and see if that helps some. One thing im curious about is how deep everyones grub screw goes down in the outdrive cup next to the brake disc. If anyone has a pic that would be greatly appreciated. I also want to see how close the shaft pins are to the edge of the cup compared to mine. Thanks guys and if you all want to see a pic of mine before it slides out again let me know. Never had this issue before on any other vehicle I have owned.
if i understand right, your disks are slipping because they are too close to the edge of the cup, and they fall off the cup ?
anyways heres some pics of mine, hope it helps.
i made a red circle where you can see its impossible for the disks to fall off the cup, the cup is too close to the tranny.
and the driveshaft is on the edge of the cup too, its normal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66038.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1534416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54172.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1534417  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
rcguy1979

Yeah that was exactly what was happening and thanks so much for the pics. After wiggling the cup all the way through the disc I got her all setup now. I like those waterproof servos by the way by Traxxes. Did you have to do any mods to get those servos to work in the losi chassis? How much torque do those servos dish out? Thanks again everyone you all have been very helpful...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A great little trick to get the bones further into the cups is to use a glowplug washer to shim the cup out of the tranny. I.e., plug washer behind the cup.. Fits perfectly.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

traxxas servo was a direct fit. its 125oz of torque
i bought it because last year i took my truck out in the snow. never had a problem with it.

a couple years ago i bought cheap mg995 servos on ebay,from the description it was saying standard size, something like .15sec and 200oz/torque
i though it was great but when i got them(like a month after) and tried them i was really disapointed. servo case was bigger than standard(had to dremel my chasis) slow as hell, probably 75oz/torque.
just saying if your looking for servos dont buy cheap ass junk on ebay !

herrsavage, i never had any problem even if the bones sits on the edge of the cups. but i will keep this in mind in case ! ...

and to answer the original question, i like stock plastic shocks ! only thing that i broke in 2 years was 1 upper cap after a cartwheel and 1 shaft while doing jumps in -10c weather.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53970.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1534482  
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I have hitec mg645 servos in my .28 truck and I've been very happy with them. 133oz at 6v and something like 110oz at 4.8v. My LHS has them for $35 ea. I can turn my wheels at a dead stop on pavement with them. I like waterproof servos but I wouldn't use Traxxas servos personally. A little rtv silicone on the case has worked well for me and is super cheap too.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Mclovin350z

If I keep getting newbo812 servos for 2.99 + shipping I'll never upgrade lol. 140 oz/inches aint bad.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

If I keep getting new bo812 servos for 2.99 + shipping I'll never upgrade lol. 140 oz/inches aint bad.
what brand are those and where do you get them? I want to replace the JR servos in my mach427 truck next spring.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 PM
rcguy1979

Was wondering what size nut drivers I need to get for this Losi before I start to take apart the slipper gear setup and other parts of the XXL.Its a shame the book dont tellyou what size drivers youwill need, it only tells you the size of the hex allen wrench sizes.Also I really would like to replace the pullstarter on this thing since I broke it the first week I had this truck. Is it easy to pull the engine off this chassis. It looks like the clutchbell of the engine goes into the little side clearplastic cover piece. Will I need to remove the whole slipper setup to remove the engine or will the engine slide right outof there after the 4 bottom screws and
servos are all unhooked? Thanks fellaz and sorry for all the questions... This thing looks pretty damn easy to rebuild by the looks of it but its better to ask questions so nothing stupid happens.L8ter!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.