Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Snow Chains

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Snow Chains

Thinking about making some... They worth it?

If so, would the chains work better on the stock tires, or on the Big Joe's I have?
    E-XXL with MMM & Tekin 1300kV / LST XXL with LRP 30 / LST2 with LRP 28 / Savage Flux XL / Savage XS Flux / Stampede 4x4 VXL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Snow Chains

i made some chains for a 2wd stadium truck and wasnt impressed, never tryed on a 4wd but i will get paddles before messing with chains again.

mostly because chains are heavy and mine didnt stay centered, after 2-3 tank the chains would move and rub on the arms.
    My worst nightmare is that after I die, my wife sells all my RC stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some sort of studs like they use in snow mobile tracks?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

i made some chains for a 2wd stadium truck and wasnt impressed, never tryed on a 4wd but i will get paddles before messing with chains again.

mostly because chains are heavy and mine didnt stay centered, after 2-3 tank the chains would move and rub on the arms.
    I made some tire chains for my 3.3 Nitro Rustler and worked awesome I used some old wore out tires and put the chains on snug. I tried the same concept on my lst2 with big joes. Not so good. I tried it on ATX tires and had the same
    Poor results. With the 4wd, paddles or really knobby tires work best.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some self tapping screw going from the inside out would work if you spaced them evenly for good balance.
    Losi xxl, Picco 26 t-maxx 4907, Sirio s27 revo, revo 2.5 with modded 18tm, EMBE, mostly stock 4908 maxx, pos mini lst2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

Some self tapping screw going from the inside out would work if you spaced them evenly for good balance.
    A buddy of mine tried this two ways - one with the screws going through the foam and the tire only and from the inside of the rim through the tire. The one through the rim worked better but both ways ended up chucking the screws. What we found worked better (mind you this was on a stadium truck) is using small bolts, flat washers and loctited locknuts. The downside to this is in order to keep the tire semi-balanced we had to use about $40 worth of small hardware.

Here's my 3.3 Rusty chains. (Mclovin - you're gonna cringe at the first pic or two - LOL)

On the LST2 - The chains gave good traction on snow and ice but the moment you hit pavement it was impossible to control at any kind of speed. Lots of neat sparks though.. With the added benefit of 4wd, I found just running good tires is going to be the best way to do it.. The big joes kinda help it float on top of the snow better (as long as you dont spin the tires and sink.)

ATX tires with chains
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't feel so good.
    Losi xxl, Picco 26 t-maxx 4907, Sirio s27 revo, revo 2.5 with modded 18tm, EMBE, mostly stock 4908 maxx, pos mini lst2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

I don't feel so good.
    haha.. I figured..
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3