Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM
stealth_revo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Chains

Thinking about making some... They worth it?

If so, would the chains work better on the stock tires, or on the Big Joe's I have?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: Snow Chains

i made some chains for a 2wd stadium truck and wasnt impressed, never tryed on a 4wd but i will get paddles before messing with chains again.

mostly because chains are heavy and mine didnt stay centered, after 2-3 tank the chains would move and rub on the arms.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
c.rod

some sort of studs like they use in snow mobile tracks?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

i made some chains for a 2wd stadium truck and wasnt impressed, never tryed on a 4wd but i will get paddles before messing with chains again.

mostly because chains are heavy and mine didnt stay centered, after 2-3 tank the chains would move and rub on the arms.
I made some tire chains for my 3.3 Nitro Rustler and worked awesome I used some old wore out tires and put the chains on snug. I tried the same concept on my lst2 with big joes. Not so good. I tried it on ATX tires and had the same
Poor results. With the 4wd, paddles or really knobby tires work best.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Mclovin350z

Some self tapping screw going from the inside out would work if you spaced them evenly for good balance.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

Some self tapping screw going from the inside out would work if you spaced them evenly for good balance.
A buddy of mine tried this two ways - one with the screws going through the foam and the tire only and from the inside of the rim through the tire. The one through the rim worked better but both ways ended up chucking the screws. What we found worked better (mind you this was on a stadium truck) is using small bolts, flat washers and loctited locknuts. The downside to this is in order to keep the tire semi-balanced we had to use about $40 worth of small hardware.

Here's my 3.3 Rusty chains. (Mclovin - you're gonna cringe at the first pic or two - LOL)

On the LST2 - The chains gave good traction on snow and ice but the moment you hit pavement it was impossible to control at any kind of speed. Lots of neat sparks though.. With the added benefit of 4wd, I found just running good tires is going to be the best way to do it.. The big joes kinda help it float on top of the snow better (as long as you dont spin the tires and sink.)

ATX tires with chains
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Mclovin350z

I don't feel so good.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

I don't feel so good.