Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Aftershock Motor

Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM
  #1
mrmiro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Adolphe, MB, CANADA
Posts: 81
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aftershock Motor

I would like to replace the stock motor in my aftershock, I am trying to decide size, (.28, .30, or .32) and which company to go with, any suggestions?


Thanks
mrmiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM
  #2
supertib
 
supertib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , MB, CANADA
Posts: 7,241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

Clockwork Picco 28 ! and we are from Winnipeg and can offer you hands on help....

https://clockworkracingengines.com/c...ll-start-51232
supertib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM
  #3
SMOKEFAN
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gilber, AZ
Posts: 329
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

You can pickup a NEW Losi 454 ( same as LRP .28 ) for a good price on ebay. I just put an RB concepts MT10 on my MGT and it is just plain awesome.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

It's already roto start equipt also. Super easy to tune, novarossi based, what more couyld you want
SMOKEFAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
  #4
supertib
 
supertib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , MB, CANADA
Posts: 7,241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

You can pickup a NEW Losi 454 ( same as LRP .28 ) for a good price on ebay. I just put an RB concepts MT10 on my MGT and it is just plain awesome.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

It's already roto start equipt also. Super easy to tune, novarossi based, what more couyld you want

I think the 454's are absolute junk.......but that RB is a nice engine...definitely a very stable easy to use reliable engine........we used to run the older version of that engine...not really a strong performer , but you couldn't kill the things, they idled for days and seemed to last forever.....I remember a buddy changing a drive bone on a Savage and he left the engine idling the entire time as a joke.....
supertib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
  #5
HerrSavage
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

Losi 454 or LRP Spec 3 FTW!!!
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
  #6
driller2948
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Red Oak, TX
Posts: 464
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

+1 Clocked Picco you wont regret it!
driller2948 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
  #7
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,158
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mrmiro

I would like to replace the stock motor in my aftershock, I am trying to decide size, (.28, .30, or .32) and which company to go with, any suggestions?


Thanks
Is the M26SS worn out or does it still run ok?
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
  #8
SMOKEFAN
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gilber, AZ
Posts: 329
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

I don't want to start a war and I know who supertib is, but lets be realistic here the LRP spec 3 is VERY highly regarded in the monster truck community. I don't think you will find a horrible review about 1.I feel if you sell a particular product especially 1 brand your really not intitled to give your review of the Number 1 selling monster truck engine on the market....especially when it is #1 for a reason. I can appreciate your work on the picco, but I dont see a reason to slam another product and not justify why you dont like it or why it Junk. Im sorry it's just not good business. You deffinetly dont see SH, LRP or Losi talking smack.
SMOKEFAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
  #9
HerrSavage
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

I think, unless the OP has deeper pockets and more setup and tuning knowhow than average(in which case go ahead and get a modded Picco from supertib, which IS the ultimate engine to get...), the LRP Spec 3 or Losi 454* is the way to go. That and an XXL tranny - or at least the output gears(you can get those for like 8 bucks..) The XXL has better gearing and will make the truck faster.

I had an LRP Spec 3 in my LST2 and loved it. I have a new LRP 30 waiting to go in.. But I kind of suspect the 28 is better, with more top-end. The 30 will be torquier, but IMO the 28 has enough of that unless you're into climbing or pulling tree-stumps or something. (Beyond the power of the 28 I personally suspect much of the added torque just amounts to added wear and tear on your drivetrain..... Would be surprised to see a 30 pull away from a 28 in a race...) And the 28 rips mid to top.. Also very, very easy to tune, AND it loves the stock LST2 pipe, which is dirt cheap too...

* I hear here and there about carb issues with the 454. I recently picked up a new 454 on ebay for dirt cheap - $105 - and put a new LRP carb on it I'd had laying around. Besides the color though, I can't notice a difference in the carbs... And my LRP Spec 3 was really very easy to tune. Said it before, saying it again - if it weren't easy to tune, I wouldn't have liked it, and obviously wouldn't praise it.. For the money, good engines...

BTW, I have a Dynamite Big Red in my basher LST2 now. Good engine for the price, and though I don't have enough fuel through it yet to really fairly say, it seems at this stage that the LRP Spec 3 has a bit more power - especially that it revs higher and harder.. Afaik, the Big Red is based off the LRP Spec 2, and the 454 is identical to the Spec 3 - which has more ports than the Spec 2.
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
  #10
mrmiro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Adolphe, MB, CANADA
Posts: 81
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

I just want to upgrade
mrmiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 AM
  #11
HerrSavage
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

Budget option - Dynamite 28 Big Red.

Bit more money maybe, but a bit more power - LRP 28 Spec 3. (Losi 454 on ebay probably cheaper than the Big Red though...)

$200 range - Picco 28 or LRP 30. Picco a bit faster maybe, LRP a bit more user-friendly..

Balls-out - supertib-modded Picco 28.


If you're just after a basic upgrade engine from the Mach 26SS for your Aftershock, I say just get the Big Red or LRP Spec 3/Losi 454 and have fun with it....


Nothing special, but here are a couple clips of me breaking in my Big Red in my LST2, and a couple of the same truck with the LRP...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIRXNU3JYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe8mp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLk5J3zO-Ho


LRP(but before the XXL tranny, so not quite a fair comparison..):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5hIGH0Dac


LRP with XXL tranny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3EEs4EolP4



EDIT - Uupss... Forgot.... The Big Red videos are in my racer with Savage XL Terra Pin wheels/tires, and the others in my heavier basher.. In any case, you get the picture.. Or you don't... The vids don't really convey the speed that well.. Only on the day with the LRP and XXL tranny was it really making me grin with the speed..(but then maybe by the time I got to the Big Red I was used to the speed from the LRP...)

Ah screw it.. Get a Big Red.....
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
  #12
mrmiro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Adolphe, MB, CANADA
Posts: 81
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor

sounds good
mrmiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
  #13
SMOKEFAN
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gilber, AZ
Posts: 329
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor


Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I think, unless the OP has deeper pockets and more setup and tuning knowhow than average(in which case go ahead and get a modded Picco from supertib, which IS the ultimate engine to get...), the LRP Spec 3 or Losi 454* is the way to go. That and an XXL tranny - or at least the output gears(you can get those for like 8 bucks..) The XXL has better gearing and will make the truck faster.

I had an LRP Spec 3 in my LST2 and loved it. I have a new LRP 30 waiting to go in.. But I kind of suspect the 28 is better, with more top-end. The 30 will be torquier, but IMO the 28 has enough of that unless you're into climbing or pulling tree-stumps or something. (Beyond the power of the 28 I personally suspect much of the added torque just amounts to added wear and tear on your drivetrain..... Would be surprised to see a 30 pull away from a 28 in a race...) And the 28 rips mid to top.. Also very, very easy to tune, AND it loves the stock LST2 pipe, which is dirt cheap too...

* I hear here and there about carb issues with the 454. I recently picked up a new 454 on ebay for dirt cheap - $105 - and put a new LRP carb on it I'd had laying around. Besides the color though, I can't notice a difference in the carbs... And my LRP Spec 3 was really very easy to tune. Said it before, saying it again - if it weren't easy to tune, I wouldn't have liked it, and obviously wouldn't praise it.. For the money, good engines...

BTW, I have a Dynamite Big Red in my basher LST2 now. Good engine for the price, and though I don't have enough fuel through it yet to really fairly say, it seems at this stage that the LRP Spec 3 has a bit more power - especially that it revs higher and harder.. Afaik, the Big Red is based off the LRP Spec 2, and the 454 is identical to the Spec 3 - which has more ports than the Spec 2.
Well said, Both LRP and the Losi 454 are made by SH. The only difference between the 2 is the carb and much like yourself I havent founf any difference in tuning or power aswell. You cannot go wrong with either engine. Herrsavage knows im not a fanboy of dynamite but he seems to be having good luck with his bigred. The spec 3 undoubtly will have more power, but I think all 3 of these are great upgrades and in a good price range.
SMOKEFAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
  #14
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,158
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aftershock Motor


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN


Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I think, unless the OP has deeper pockets and more setup and tuning knowhow than average(in which case go ahead and get a modded Picco from supertib, which IS the ultimate engine to get...), the LRP Spec 3 or Losi 454* is the way to go. That and an XXL tranny - or at least the output gears(you can get those for like 8 bucks..) The XXL has better gearing and will make the truck faster.

I had an LRP Spec 3 in my LST2 and loved it. I have a new LRP 30 waiting to go in.. But I kind of suspect the 28 is better, with more top-end. The 30 will be torquier, but IMO the 28 has enough of that unless you're into climbing or pulling tree-stumps or something. (Beyond the power of the 28 I personally suspect much of the added torque just amounts to added wear and tear on your drivetrain..... Would be surprised to see a 30 pull away from a 28 in a race...) And the 28 rips mid to top.. Also very, very easy to tune, AND it loves the stock LST2 pipe, which is dirt cheap too...

* I hear here and there about carb issues with the 454. I recently picked up a new 454 on ebay for dirt cheap - $105 - and put a new LRP carb on it I'd had laying around. Besides the color though, I can't notice a difference in the carbs... And my LRP Spec 3 was really very easy to tune. Said it before, saying it again - if it weren't easy to tune, I wouldn't have liked it, and obviously wouldn't praise it.. For the money, good engines...

BTW, I have a Dynamite Big Red in my basher LST2 now. Good engine for the price, and though I don't have enough fuel through it yet to really fairly say, it seems at this stage that the LRP Spec 3 has a bit more power - especially that it revs higher and harder.. Afaik, the Big Red is based off the LRP Spec 2, and the 454 is identical to the Spec 3 - which has more ports than the Spec 2.
Well said, Both LRP and the Losi 454 are made by SH. The only difference between the 2 is the carb and much like yourself I havent founf any difference in tuning or power aswell. You cannot go wrong with either engine. Herrsavage knows im not a fanboy of dynamite but he seems to be having good luck with his bigred. The spec 3 undoubtly will have more power, but I think all 3 of these are great upgrades and in a good price range.
If you hunt around, you could probably find an SH .28 P6 or P8 cheaper than a LRP or 454. The guy I bought my LST2 from included a new SH .28 P6 he got off the 'bay for 65$ NIB. I am pretty sure the 454 and SH .28 P8 are the same engine. Just a thought. For a basher, my SH P6 seems pretty stout and tunes better than the Mach 427 I have.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:59 PM.