Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST XXL?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LST XXL?

I just picked up a LST from my local hobby shop and the guy said I can fix it and keep it. It has a new LRP motor and a spectrum reciever. I only have a few questions about it, there is a spot for a servo underneath the fuel tank, and the truck wont roll backwards everything locks up well when the truck isnt running. Also there is a spot for the servo right next to the throttle and I am assuming that this is for reverse but I dont have reverse.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST XXL?

Sounds to me as if it has been modded with the LRP and the Forward only kit. Which is likely as the power of the lrp likely broke it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mkruse

I just picked up a LST from my local hobby shop and the guy said I can fix it and keep it. It has a new LRP motor and a spectrum reciever. I only have a few questions about it, there is a spot for a servo underneath the fuel tank, and the truck wont roll backwards everything locks up well when the truck isnt running. Also there is a spot for the servo right next to the throttle and I am assuming that this is for reverse but I dont have reverse.
The spot for the servo under the fuel tank is for those that want rear steering. The original LST and the Aftershock/Mega Baja have the same suspension setup to allow for the rear steering. (not many people do this) The LST2 and XXL do not allow for this.

As for the locking driveline... I like to start easy. Turn on the transmitter and receiver. Pull the throttle open on the transmitter and see if it frees the driveline up and allows it to roll. If it does, then your brake linkage needs adjustment. (Engine not running of course) If the driveline is still bound up and wont turn, You're going to have to look over the driveline to narrow down the problem. Wheel/Axle bearings, dogbones, diffs, center dogbones, and the transmission. FOC transmissions are very simple and dont have a lot of parts inside. If reverse was removed but not high/low range, then it'll have a few more parts to contend with and one other possible culprit of the locked driveline.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

Sounds to me as if it has been modded with the LRP and the Forward only kit. Which is likely as the power of the lrp likely broke it.
I highly highly doubt an LRP engine could break an LST driveline - nowhere near powerful enough. Especially if its FOC. I would almost guarantee if you *could* overpower the driveline, either the clutch or the spur gear setup would go before anything else.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it rolls forward fine it just wont go backward
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it does go backward i just checked but it takes more force and the high and low gear start spinning but not in forward
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

also I see that a lot of people use the lrp and I need to find the basic tune I should start out with to get the truck going.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

3 3/4 top and bottom by the book. I find the bottom really rich at 3 3/4 so you may go 3.5 on bottom. Let me know if she fires
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Mclovin350z

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like the spur gear and clutch bell are meshed too tight. This can be tricky because of the two sets of gears and a little side to side slop in the motor mount holes.

You may also have some binding with the stock metal brake disc setup. Hold the front end up and roll the truck forward on it's back wheels....Does it bind or hang up?

1QwkSport are you saying my xxl can't be made rear steer? It has the spot for a servo.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so 3 3/4 on high speed and low speed for fully closed? Ill try it tomorrow afternoon when I get home I doubt the neighbors will like me starting it up right now haha, And I just did the mesh and it still has the problem but I think it may be the disk brakes because I am missing a few of the disks and pads. If I am correct, there are three pads on the brakes and two disks from the parts blow up ive found?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes close both needles and open 3.75 turns. It might be rich on the bottom as I have found with the setting but it'll start
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
cummins driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like it may be the clutch bell bearings, or clutch spring/shoe problem. This will cause the clutch bell not to spin freely. The mesh would be what i would check first, then the if that doesent do it, slide the engine back and try to spin the clutch bell by itself and see if it spins freely. The LST trucks only turn the spur gear when you roll them backwards, they wont turn when you roll it forwards. If your brakes were stuck it would be hard to roll in both directions, so it almost has to be a problem with the mesh or clutch.

Also, if the clutch bell bearings are shot or the clutch has a problem, you probably wont be able to start it until you fix it because of the drag it creates on the engine. It may also try to move forward when you pull the starter before the engine is even running. Just keep that in mind if you cant get it to start. Good luck

Eric
Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I put the engine back to stock tune, it started right up, stalled, started up again and stayed running but when I squeezed the gas line the engine reved up and didnt turn off so i had to shut it off by plugging the exhaust, and now it roll backwards much smoother too. what batter do you guys suggest for the rx thank!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Personally I like the promatch racing RX packs. They are inexpensive, the cells are awesome, and the quality is top notch. The new Energy cells are killer. Heres a link

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=1611

I run them in my Bashers and my racers. You cannot beat them for the money

PS. Start tuning it and it should come around. it still very rich with those settings
Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, when its at idle it spits out fuel and when I floor it from there it wants to stall... should I tune the high speed or low speed first in this case. Sorry for all of the noob questions. I am used to tuning my trx 2.5 which usually doesnt get too bad out of wack that it does this and I can diagnose the problems on that easily, its just never gone through this before thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First, I had the issue of 3.75 being too rich on the bottom. Turn that bottm end in 1/4 turn. The start leaning the top end 1 hour at a time as you normally would. After the HS is tuned then do the pinch test on the bottom end.

Blow it out let idle 5sec then pinch the fuel line. The engine should stall 3-4 seconds
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

K thank you for the quick response
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let me know what you come up with
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Mclovin350z

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes you can lean the lsn slightlyto make itidle better, but once you get it to idle start tuning the hsn, then back to the lsn. Another thing to check is the tank, fuel filter, and line. I swapped out my filter and ran the line around the back of the tank to make it longer, that made a significant difference in how my 454 acts now.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll have to try it again tomorrow, I've been running just a four double A setup and the reciever shuts off when I turn the truck for too long and I need to get the actual roto start instead of an allen key, and  my glow plug ignitor died and wasnt charging.... not a great day also what would cure exsessive wheel wobble new wheel nuts on the inside
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
SMOKEFAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

man you better get your Chit together if this is going to be a success....................
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the guy at the hobby shop wanted me to take it home and try to fix it and see what I can do with this is the first Losi ive ever driven and my lhs still has most of the stuff for it because he couldnt find it and he called me today and said he found the other box of parts like the battery for the reciever and the roto start... The truck is in great condition, all new servos, brand new engine, and brand new radio and uprgraded steering and upgraded break pads just the small things that are killing me....
Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
cummins driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So are you breaking in the engine?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

Sounds like the spur gear and clutch bell are meshed too tight. This can be tricky because of the two sets of gears and a little side to side slop in the motor mount holes.

You may also have some binding with the stock metal brake disc setup. Hold the front end up and roll the truck forward on it's back wheels....Does it bind or hang up?

1QwkSport are you saying my xxl can't be made rear steer? It has the spot for a servo.
You can convert your XXL to rear steering, but you would have to switch the rear suspension arms and axles to LST1/Aftershock. It just so happens I still have my aftershock suspension from when I converted my AFT to LST2. On the AFT, there was a turnbuckle from the steering knuckle to the chassis somewhere. (I don't remember exactly where)

Closeup of one side:

Here's all 4 "wheels". Notice the black and silver wheel nuts? On an aftershock, the black nuts are left-hand threads and silver are right-hand. Hex size is 14mm.

The above setup is what you'd need to do rear steering. You would only need one set of two - you could keep your LST2/XXL front end as-is. I don't know what else would be involved to do it (linkage-wise) as I was advised to not do the conversion. Servo twitch could send the truck right into something it shouldnt if it were to happen.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
mkruse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not positive if it was broken in or not, I think it was broken in or was in the proccess of being broken in because there was nothing on the engine like scratches and the seal for the exhaust didnt really have any grease so I am not positive.

Search this Thread