Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

LOSI XXL (Roller). Did I get a good DEAL?

Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LOSI XXL (Roller). Did I get a good DEAL?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LOSI XXL (Roller). Did I get a good DEAL?

So I am picking up a roller LOSI XXL for 150 tomorrow morning. The truck is in GREAT shape from the photos and is very clean, I told the guy I only needed a roller because I will be converting it to brushless. He owns his own hobby shop and said he will sell it to me without the 454 motor for $150. It does need a steering servo and the stock radio is not with it so he's giving me some Jr2 radio or something and he has a brand new body for it. I just plan on using one of my many 2.4ghz transmitters so i'll just need to get a receiver for the truck off ebay.

SO anyway I think I got a good deal, just wondering what the going rate are for these trucks these days? I think it worked out well for me since I wanted one brushless and he took the motor off. I'll be adding a Mamba Monster ESC and 2200KV Castle motor out of a BL E-Revo.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 AM
JUCD VPR

Default RE: LOSI XXL (Roller). Did I get a good DEAL?

Is it recommended to go with a Mamba Monster ESC & 2200KV Castle motor.

Or should I just go with the LOSI recommended 1/8 Xcelorin 1300Kv Brushless motor, I can get the Losi E-XXL conversion kit for 84 bucks on ebay, plus approx 80 for the 1/8 Xcelorin 1300kv motor, or around 90-100 for the 2200KV Castle motor. then I was thinking a Mamba Monster ESC or possibly a hobbyking 150Amp ESC to save on money but i'm not sure about that yet or if the 150amp hobbyking esc would work?

Also i'd love some advice on what steering Servo I should get, i;d like a nice one but nothing crazy expensive. Any recommendations?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Mclovin350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if the truck is in pristine condition then still might have paid a bit too much, especially if it has no steering servos. From a hobby shop I'd say it's afair price
You could go with the castle 1717 system, it's a bigger motor than the monster.
I don't know much about the losi systems, but (1 you get what you pay for, do your research. (2 Lower kv is good, 2200kv seems like a bit much for that huge truck.

Good luck anyway, sounds like a fun project.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

So I am picking up a roller LOSI XXL for 150 tomorrow morning. The truck is in GREAT shape from the photos and is very clean, I told the guy I only needed a roller because I will be converting it to brushless. He owns his own hobby shop and said he will sell it to me without the 454 motor for $150. It does need a steering servo and the stock radio is not with it so he's giving me some Jr2 radio or something and he has a brand new body for it. I just plan on using one of my many 2.4ghz transmitters so i'll just need to get a receiver for the truck off ebay.

SO anyway I think I got a good deal, just wondering what the going rate are for these trucks these days? I think it worked out well for me since I wanted one brushless and he took the motor off. I'll be adding a Mamba Monster ESC and 2200KV Castle motor out of a BL E-Revo.
Remember, you need 2 servos for the steering. The stock ones suck anyway, so no biggie there. If the chassis,body and rest are in good condition, its a fair deal. It is a GREAT chassis though, you can't do better than the LST XXL as a platform, that I will say.

Here is what I would do, offer him $100 for just the roller, no servos, no motor, no reciever or transmitter and then build up from there. Your gonna end up upgrading alot of the stock parts anyway garenteed.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the XXL has upgraded servos over the LST2 - i.e. 2x JR 650's instead of the 590's.. So, they don't necessarily "suck"... 650's were an ideal upgrade for the LST2. They can also be had dirt cheap on ebay from chop shops.. Anything better is gonna cost a lot more.

BTW, FYI, Savox has a fantastic deal on servos now. Send in your old and get 20 bucks off.. I.e. you can get a 1258 for like $43 of something.... I just bought a Spektrum H6040, which is identical to the Savox 1258, for gas in DM-1, and it's wicked fast - plus 13 kilos...

https://www.savoxusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=19
Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Mclovin350z

I've found my stock xxl servos to be quite nice, not the best, but notat the topof my upgrade list either.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
JUCD VPR

I picked it up this morning for $140.

Overall the trucks condition is near excellent, I think there is one or two little scratches on the chassis and that is it, very little wear it almost looks new and is super clean like it hasn't been run much. Included was a brand new body and a used body with not much wear, new pack of servo savers, brand new F/R bumpers (the F/R bumpers actually on the truck are like new as well) and a few other small parts. Overall i'm pretty happy with the buy. I think it's going to be a great truck and i'm looking forward to the build. Here are a few pictures...

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
HerrSavage

I'd call that a good deal... Enjoy..
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

If I'm not mistaken, the XXL has upgraded servos over the LST2 - i.e. 2x JR 650's instead of the 590's.. So, they don't necessarily "suck"... 650's were an ideal upgrade for the LST2. They can also be had dirt cheap on ebay from chop shops.. Anything better is gonna cost a lot more.

BTW, FYI, Savox has a fantastic deal on servos now. Send in your old and get 20 bucks off.. I.e. you can get a 1258 for like $43 of something.... I just bought a Spektrum H6040, which is identical to the Savox 1258, for gas in DM-1, and it's wicked fast - plus 13 kilos...

https://www.savoxusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=19
No, not necessarily so. My XXL came with a pair of analogZ590's, they absolutely suck. I am also very familiar with the analogZ650M's, they aren't much better. The "claimed" specs are .17 transit speed with 142oz. of torque(and holding torque is under 50oz. each), but a pair of them still can't even center the steering on an XXL standing still.

Savox servos are way overrated. The only 2 worth a cr@p are the 1267 and 1268MG, and even with the $20 off, they are still over priced. You can pick up a pair of Tower Hobby TS 170's for around $160 shipped when you use a tower coupon. All these are are Rebadged Hitec 7955 servos featuring full ball bearings,coreless motor,titanium gearset are DIGITALand the specs are excellent. .15 transit time with 333oz of torque at 6v. They also unofficially run at 7.4 volts as well and the specs are .12 transit with 408oz of torque each. Best bang for the buck on the market now IMO.

The next best bang for the buck is the G&P sales digitalPower plus pro servo. About $45 shipped. .13 transit speed with 208oz torque at 6 volts. Anything less than 400oz torque on the steering servos combined though for the XXL is less than ideal.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
ntrain42

$140 is a good deal. 2 bodies with one new($50)? And an optional F/R swaybar set($15)? Yeah, thats more than a fair deal. Just be sure to break the truck down FULLY and rebuild it.

Also, BOIL all the plastic parts for an hour roughly, you will make em 10 times stronger by doing that. I say you made out well.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
HerrSavage

I run a Hitec 5955 in my SC8, and the Hobbico C170 in my DM-1*. They ARE my favorite servos.

Still, two of them even with a discount is roughly TWICE the price of the two Savox... $160 bucks for steering in a basher MT for steering is a lot IMO.. If your basher MT is your primary RC, then go for it...

I run all 590's in both my LST2's.. I do think they kind of suck, and are unreliable. BUT, they are cheap enough to replace, and for bashing, with a well-charged battery, they get the job done well enough... - both in my basher and in my racer.. I can live with them. My LST2's are not my main RC's as far as dumping money into them, so servos for them is one place where I accept cuts in performance - and price... I have 2-3 in the drawer as backups, and that will see me through the lifetimes of both...

Furthermore, with Hitecs you have to change the linkages with other parts, etc...

*The Hobbico seems to me noticeably slower than my Hitec....
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
ntrain42

I run a Hitec 5955 in my SC8, and the Hobbico C170 in my DM-1*. They ARE my favorite servos.

Still, two of them even with a discount is roughly TWICE the price of the two Savox... $160 bucks for steering in a basher MT for steering is a lot IMO.. If your basher MT is your primary RC, then go for it...

I run all 590's in both my LST2's.. I do think they kind of suck, and are unreliable. BUT, they are cheap enough to replace, and for bashing, with a well-charged battery, they get the job done well enough... - both in my basher and in my racer.. I can live with them. My LST2's are not my main RC's as far as dumping money into them, so servos for them is one place where I accept cuts in performance - and price... I have 2-3 in the drawer as backups, and that will see me through the lifetimes of both...

Furthermore, with Hitecs you have to change the linkages with other parts, etc...

*The Hobbico seems to me noticeably slower than my Hitec....
How do you get twice the price for a DECENT savox servo pair? Even with a $20 off discount, a pair os still $150 plus shipping.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
HerrSavage

The 1258's are like 43 bucks apiece... So, nearly twice if you get a pair.. Throw in the extra servo-horns and whatever you need for the Hitecs, and it works out.

(Not sure if the Savox have the same teeth-count as the JR... Just assuming that since Spektrum rebrands the Savox... So could be moot about saving hassle running Savox..)

He could also just get three(one as a backup) stock 650's for $70 shipped, and invest the rest elsewhere.. (and not have to mod anything..) All a question of budget and priorities...

I agree Hitec 7955's are the best, and that the Hobbicos are good value, but it's still a lot of money just for steering on one basher RC, that being overpowered with brushless won't ever really need top-end servos if it's only for bashing and high-speed runs... For racing, OK...

Anyway, everybody's got different budgets and priorities.. Whatever floats his boat...
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
JUCD VPR

Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm not looking to dump a bunch of money into the steering. I think Stock would probably work for me but I might look into the "G&P sales digital Power plus pro servo" you suggested. It all depends if I come across a steal on ebay for some stock ones, I may just go the cheap route. I'd rather dump the money into the motor/esc and the cheaper the better for right now. Down the road I can always upgrade to a higher quality servo if I need to but for bashing I don't think that will be necessary right now. I don't do any racing, I just bash the living hell out of all my trucks and do speed runs/hill climbs and such.

Again thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
JUCD VPR

Are these the servo's you suggesting?

http://www.powerplusproservos.com/

I may upgrade my CEN GST to these as well....not a bad price.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Mclovin350z

Aren't hitec servos 24 spline and jr 23 spline?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
HerrSavage

Yep.. If you want to run Hitecs, you need MGT servo-horns or something...
Old 02-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Mclovin350z

That's right, I just saw it on the tube.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
ntrain42

Yep.. If you want to run Hitecs, you need MGT servo-horns or something...
Like: LOSA99033 or ASC25166

Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
HerrSavage

Do those Losi arms really work on an LST2? Or is that just a normal Hitec-tooth-count servo arm with a Losi label on it?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
JUCD VPR

What are the stock Steering Servo's that come on the XXL?

I may go the cheap route since this is just a basher. I have quite a bit of money I'll need to dump into the BL Motor and ESC conversion so I don;t want to spend too much right now. I think I'll go stock for now and upgrade down the road to those 50 dollar servo's.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
HerrSavage

The stock servo arms are for JR servos, so have a different teeth-count than Hitec servos.. I'm pretty sure you need special servo-arms for the LST2/XXL set-up - i.e. it's not just a question of putting on a standard Hitec servo arm...

But anyway, I think going with stock servos for bashing is just fine.. Just pick up a third for backup...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
ntrain42

The stock servo arms are for JR servos, so have a different teeth-count than Hitec servos.. I'm pretty sure you need special servo-arms for the LST2/XXL set-up - i.e. it's not just a question of putting on a standard Hitec servo arm...

But anyway, I think going with stock servos for bashing is just fine.. Just pick up a third for backup...
The 2 part #'s I gave work with the LST/LST2/XXL. The one by Losi is made by losi using a spline count for hitec servos. I use em.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
JUCD VPR

Cool, will do thanks.

I just piked up two off ebay for 13 bucks each so that wasn't to bad.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

The 2 part #'s I gave work with the LST/LST2/XXL. The one by Losi is made by losi using a spline count for hitec servos. I use em.
How do you use a standard servo arm on a Losi MT without having to redo the whole linkage setup?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.