Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

First losi truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First losi truck

Hey guys,

well i got my first losi truck tonight, i traded a new stampede vxl 2wd, for a brand new aftershock ltd edition.
wow they are big trucks eh, is there anything i should check over first? whats common to watch out for? and is the engine a decent well running engine, not to concerned about power but more driveability, are they finicky? do they hold a tune? are the common to blow up?

thanks for any insight guys.
scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50705.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1568409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77078.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1568410  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: First losi truck

I don't understand how you pulled off that trade?! Nice work.

SUPER trucks. I have had LSTs, LST2s, XXLs and now have an XXL, Mega Baja and LST2. They are solid platforms and the engines aren't that finnicky. The Mach engine in my XXL only gets tuned once in a while and it runs perfect. I have had great luck with Mach engines in general.

Just run it for a while and get used to it. Before you run it, go through all of the screws and make sure they are tight. Read the manual. Good to go.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

locktite all drivetrain set screws, check your gear mesh, and have fun !

is that a black head m26 engine ? if so, i had one and it was a great engine ! same power as my axial 28 but with less problems/easy tuning.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 AM
steed2-inactive

yes it is a black head m26, the only thing that has me a little concerned is when i roll the trick back and forth, the transmission seems "rough"?? the gear mesh is pretty snug, but does have a little play, i may adjust it tonight, it just seems rougher than my savages when i roll the truck back and forth?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

It should be able to roll back and forth if the brake isn't set with relative ease. Definitely investigate the gear mesh. Pull the motor away from the spur gear first and roll the truck by spinning the spur gear by hand. If it is good to go, reset the gear mesh and you will be good to go. It isn't uncommon to have a gear mesh issue on either the 1st or 2nd gear if the motor is installed at a slight angle.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

yes what dale said or the tranny might need to run some to get 'broken-in'.
one of my tranny with reverse was kinda rough when new but after a couple tanks its smoother.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: steed2

Hey guys,

well i got my first losi truck tonight, i traded a new stampede vxl 2wd, for a brand new aftershock ltd edition.
wow they are big trucks eh, is there anything i should check over first? whats common to watch out for? and is the engine a decent well running engine, not to concerned about power but more driveability, are they finicky? do they hold a tune? are the common to blow up?

thanks for any insight guys.
scott

So you traded a new VXL stampede for a new Aftershock? How much is the stampede worth exactly?

Either way the LST platform is superior. Its a good trade in my book.

Curious, does the aftershock use the XXL extended chassis or the regular LST/LST2 chassis?

If you want rock solid durability with it, then at the very least get RPM A-arms and a New Era roll cage. Its money well spent.

And, be SMART, break the entire truck down, boil all the plastic parts and rebuild it. RTR vehicles are ALL BUILTLIKE*****. I can pretty much garentee you will find things not built to the best standards. Get yourself some blue and red loctite and diff shims and rebuild the entire truck. In the long run you will be glad you did.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the Losi Aftershock is 50-100 bucks more than a VXL Stampede at 300. I believe the aftershock runs 350-400. I say you got a killer deal and I think you'll enjoy the aftershock a lot more than a 2wd Stampede. Good deal!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
steed2-inactive

yea i traded the guy as quickly as possible before he changed his mind, it was for hit wife but she wanted a smalled brushless truck with reverse, when i seen the add on kijiji, i jumped all over it. went and traded him before he changed his mind. i think i may look into the lst2 upgrade kit. what does boiling the parts do? and how long do you boil them for?
i ran my savage parts through the dishwasher once and some of the parts (mainly the skid plates) seem to have expanded.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
c.rod

anyone got any links on diff shimming and gear mesh tuning?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
dzchey21

From what i understand boiling the parts introduces more moisture to the plastic parts, allowing them to be more flexible and resist breaking on impact, I have boiled my parts and i honestly quit breaking stuff.

What i did to boil them is got a big pot of water, enough for all the parts i wanted to do, all at the same time, brought it to a full boil, pulled it off the heat and imediatly dropped in the parts, then just let them sit in the hot water untill they cool off to room temperature, I have heard of boiling them for 10 minutes, and bringing them to a boil slowly and then cooling slowly but the most comming method i found was just like i described, and it truely seams to work. Maybe some others will chime in.

Sounds like you got a smoking deal on that thing, i wish i had an lst2 or an aftershock to mess around with, Good luck with the truck!!!