Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

gettin losi xxl. what do i need to change first??

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
c.rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default gettin losi xxl. what do i need to change first??

hey guys, getting an xxl. what are some have to do hop ups i should look into?

hows the battery for the rx?

i think it might be worth it to get some better/stronger servos?

anything else come to mind?

oh, i also do not own anything else nitro, so fuel bottle, starter etc?

thanks for the help

this is my first rc in over 14yrs.. first nitro ever...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
dzchey21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: gettin losi xxl. what do i need to change first??

I recomend steering servos, its a pretty good truck right out of the box i think, alot of people recomend taking the thing apart and loctiting all the screws, i would have to agree with that, but its all up to you, good luck with the truck mine has been a ton of fun already
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great RC. Get yourself a good 1600 receiver pack..

The truck itself is fine out of the box for starters.

Later, if you want to go crazy with jumping, etc.., get a Dynamite engine-brace. RC Raven shock springs are a great little upgrade.

For nitro, make sure you have a good 7.2V stick pack for the Spin-start, and two extra glow-plugs. One OS #8 and an OS A5/#10 would be my tips..(break in with the #8 or the stock plug...)

Read up on how to heat cycle the engine.

And yeah, get some blue thread-lock, and put a LITTLE BIT on metal to metal screws... Especially make sure the bolts holding the engine on are tight. If you loosen them though, make sure your gear mesh is perfect...(the fit between the clutch bell and spur gears...)

Check back with any other questions.. Good luck..
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Great RC. Get yourself a good 1600 receiver pack..

The truck itself is fine out of the box for starters.

Later, if you want to go crazy with jumping, etc.., get a Dynamite engine-brace. RC Raven shock springs are a great little upgrade.

For nitro, make sure you have a good 7.2V stick pack for the Spin-start, and two extra glow-plugs. One OS #8 and an OS A5/#10 would be my tips..(break in with the #8 or the stock plug...)

Read up on how to heat cycle the engine.

And yeah, get some blue thread-lock, and put a LITTLE BIT on metal to metal screws... Especially make sure the bolts holding the engine on are tight. If you loosen them though, make sure your gear mesh is perfect...(the fit between the clutch bell and spur gears...)

Check back with any other questions.. Good luck..
Might I make a suggestion? That OS #8 plug is a hot plug, however its a medium/short reach plug. I've tried them in the past in a few different engines and never had much luck. With a shorter plug, there is a slight reduction in compression which could make the engine tune and run different. This isn't the case with every engine, but at least the engines I tested with didnt run well on them. Most car/truck engines are designed to be ran on a long reach plug. If you take the head/head button off and look at where the base of the glow plug is. If the base of the plug is flush with the top of the combustion chamber, you have the right reach of plug. If its recessed in some, you should run a longer plug. That is if you want optimum performance. I believe the OS LC line of plug were long reach, and most of McCoy, and Traxxas plug are long reach. I have had pretty good luck with McCoy MC59 plugs.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To each his own. For me, I've got or have run about 7 SH engines - Mach 427s(3), SW 26(2), LRP Spec 3, Dynamite Big Red, etc.. And for me the OS A5 has been THE best plug in all of them..
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
c.rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sweet.. thanks guys. i stopped in a local shop today and checked it out for the first time.... awesome..

anyway.. i guess i was amazed at how much plastic is on it. lol. i know, i know, about not putting to much aluminum on the truck. need some flex...'

lately it seems that guys will put alum shock towers, but keep the plastic a- arms for a "weak point" ?

i can def. see myself sinking some money into this thing for hop ups etc.... lol

herr savage.. can you explain more on the 1600 batt? what does it come with stock,? is it nimh? how long will the stock one last?
can you start to notice when the batt is going low on the reciever?

i will def. start buying stuff for it, but i might take the guys suggestion and drive it for a little bit, get used to it and upgrade from there....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
dzchey21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just boil the stock plastic and you should be good to go.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're totally new, don't disassemble the whole thing and start boiling it..

A 1600 Nimh receiver battery will just have more juice and last longer than the stock one.. There are even 1700 ones now.. I think the stock is 1100..

Yeah, just get it and run it... Post some pics..
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: c.rod

hey guys, getting an xxl. what are some have to do hop ups i should look into?

hows the battery for the rx?

i think it might be worth it to get some better/stronger servos?

anything else come to mind?

oh, i also do not own anything else nitro, so fuel bottle, starter etc?

thanks for the help

this is my first rc in over 14yrs.. first nitro ever...

Smart choice with the XXL.

The stock rx battery is actually fine. If you want to swap though, go with a 6.6v LIFE battery that can fit up front in the rx box(there are a couple that will). You will save a bit of weight and resdistribute a bit of weight up front which is good.

Stronger servos in my book are highly recommended. Best bang for the buck are the Tower TS 170's. They are just rebadged Hitec 7955 servos and you get get em for significantly cheaper money(about $70 a piece using a tower coupon). If this is too much money look at the PPP servos for $45 shipped each. These will also do the job just fine having over 200oz. torque each. If your going to upgrade the servos though, just make sure EACH servo has at LEAST 200oz torque as a bare MINIMUM. The 250-300 range though is highly recommended.

Your xxl already comes with a starter and I think a fuel bottle as well.

As for other upgrades, first thing you should do other than the stock servos are to upgrade the A arms to the RPM units. They are cheap and near bullitproof. Some people will also say to upgrade the engine brace as well. Another cheap upgrade under 15 bucks. Past that, you should BOIL(makes parts much more durable from hard impacts)all the stock parts and rebuild the truck, they are built like ***** from the factory.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

A 1600 Nimh receiver battery will just have more juice and last longer than the stock one.. There are even 1700 ones now.. I think the stock is 1100..

If he is totally new, then he SHOULD dissasemble it and boil the stock parts. At least he will know how the truck is built, how to troubleshoot it and get a much better feel for what he has.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
dzchey21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i agree on the dissasembling the truck, he might wait till after the first gallon of fuel to have fun, but after that my truck really started to come apart, set screws for the driveshafts and stuff like that, so i took mine all apart, cleaned and oiled the diffs, i know for a fact the thing is going to hook up better now that there is oil in the diff instead of grease. Also i found some cracked parts and stuff that i would have never seen had i not taken it all apart.

I sure feel better about the truck now, i can have the diffs out in less than 5 minutes (love to see savage guys do that LOL) i also know how things work a little better and what to look out for if i have a big head on wreck LOL

Anyway enjoy the truck Ntrain is pretty much spot on about most things so he is good to listen too.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 PM
c.rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for all the help guys. im def. gonna get a new era roll bar, engine brace, to start.

then im sure ill end up getting the new servos after i drive it for a little bit.

im not worried about taking it all apart. i have very good mechanical skills, i work construction for a living, do my own real car maint. etc. etc.... so im not a stranger to wrenching on things. plus i actually built a kit, tamiya awd car about 12yrs. ago... man that seems so long ago....lol

no one really answered my one question..

how long with the stock battery last between charges for the rx?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I disagree about having to disassemble the truck. Checking and tightening all screws is enough. However, if you insist on doing it, definitely get yourself some good tools for Losi screws... That's a must.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ntrain42

Quote:

If he is totally new, then he SHOULD dissasemble it and boil the stock parts. At least he will know how the truck is built, how to troubleshoot it and get a much better feel for what he has.

And in the process unnecessarily wear down the plastic the screws go into, and almost definitely strip some screws.. I seem to strip a 1/16 screw every time I work on my LST2's.. And yes I have decent tools and yes I'm careful.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 AM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I disagree about having to disassemble the truck. Checking and tightening all screws is enough. However, if you insist on doing it, definitely get yourself some good tools for Losi screws... That's a must.
Good tools I agree are a must, but I actually stay away from the overpriced "RC/hobby" allen wrenches. They are rediculously overpriced, and even the best ones I found wear out fast. The best(using a hardened steel that dont strip screws)for the money spent you will actually find at a Sears store using Craftsman allen wrenches.

A. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

B. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G10

C. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

These can also be bought individually if needed as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 AM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:

Between the 2 LST XXL's I have, I have rebuilt em both over a half dozen times. I have yet to strip or wear out any screws or plastic, even the screws securing the engine brace(use a good handheld butane torch to heat up the screws first)which prove to be difficult to remove without a micro torch. Its all in the details. The most common form of stripping out the plastic is due to over tightening of the screws into the plastic to begin with, another reason to carefully dissasemble the truck and rebuild, so when the truck is put back together no screws are overtightened. Screws should be hand tightened with care. And the biggest reason for stripping out the small 1/16" hex heads is due to poor quality or worn(read rounded)allen wrenches being used. Myself, I only use Craftsman ball hex or allen wrenches. I bought a set of dubro and Hudy wrenches(Hudy was $$$$) and they ended up wearing out literally after a few dozen screws. I found em worthless. Especially the Dubro which wore out in a single afternoon session.

And in the process unnecessarily wear down the plastic the screws go into, and almost definitely strip some screws.. I seem to strip a 1/16 screw every time I work on my LST2's.. And yes I have decent tools and yes I'm careful.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 AM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

thanks for all the help guys. im def. gonna get a new era roll bar, engine brace, to start.

then im sure ill end up getting the new servos after i drive it for a little bit.

im not worried about taking it all apart. i have very good mechanical skills, i work construction for a living, do my own real car maint. etc. etc.... so im not a stranger to wrenching on things. plus i actually built a kit, tamiya awd car about 12yrs. ago... man that seems so long ago....lol

The stock nimh battery with a good charger will top off around 1200mah which is good for about 45 minutes worth of runtime. A 1600-1700mah battery will get you an hour roughly.

Dont forget to grab RPM A-arms. They are CHEAP. Combining them with the engine brace and New Era roll bar will make the truck pretty darn rugged. Replacing those stock steeringservos will do a world of good too.
The stock steering servos are better suited for throttle brake and forward/reverse shifting duties replacing the REALLY CHEAP ones that currently do those tasks.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with you there: I think Hudy tools suck.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 AM
c.rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok. thanks again guys. i finally got the answer. so most of you have at least on extra rx battery with you if your gonna be out for a while?

ill probably get those tower hobbie servos
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Warning - I was too lazy to cut out all of the extra quote stuff..
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The only screws that seem to strip out on me is on the sway bar links. I dont use t-handle allen wrenches, I find the small L-shaped wrenches to twist and round-off less than the t-handles ones. The key is getting a good quality kit. The cheapo allen key kits that they have at places like menards and home depot aren't sized properly and have a sloppy fit. I have a craftsman kit that is a bit better on fit, but round off easier on the really small ones. The next set I buy will probably be Macs or Snap-On.

My take on stripping screw holes into plastic - if the hole is into a load bearing part of the truck I'll fill the hole with a good epoxy, and screw the screw in to its seated position. Let fully cure and just unscrew the screw to break it loose. Epoxy doesnt bond well to metal that isnt roughed up so the screw comes right out. If the screw hole in question isnt in a load bearing part, I'll just use a drop of CA and put it in and leave it. I've even gone as far as using Epoxy putty to hold the steering knuckle together so I could keep running it. (hit a mailbox, broke the plastic tie-rod tab off). Sand it up, goop the epoxy on and it'll stick. BUT if it doesnt get overtightened and stripped in the first place, you won't have this problem. (overtightening the screws will not make you hit more mailboxes, unless you're a really bad driver.. lol)

Quote:

Quote:

The stock nimh battery with a good charger will top off around 1200mah which is good for about 45 minutes worth of runtime. A 1600-1700mah battery will get you an hour roughly.

Dont forget to grab RPM A-arms. They are CHEAP. Combining them with the engine brace and New Era roll bar will make the truck pretty darn rugged. Replacing those stock steering servos will do a world of good too.
The stock steering servos are better suited for throttle brake and forward/reverse shifting duties replacing the REALLY CHEAP ones that currently do those tasks.
Do the XXL's come with the 590 servos like the LST2 did or are they using different ones? The 590's are metal geared which is nice but at 80oz-in each, they aren't powerhouses. Some guys like spending cash on super torque servos (200oz or more) and in a 13lb truck, I personally dont see the need. I really like my HT 645MG servos - at around $35ea. they dont break the bank and provide plenty of turning power in a basher truck. Running a Maxamps 1600MAh peaked, I get 6.6-6.7 volts and it will turn big joes on a paved surface sitting still. Thats strong enough for me. Not to mention these maxamps packs I have will last me longer than an hour.. I get more like 5-6 hours of constant run-time. I have 2 or 3 losi 1100MAh packs but they dont have enough life left in them to last longer than an hour.

I agree on using the stocker steering servos for Throttle/Brake duty - I value braking power.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The older LST XXL's used JR 590 servos, the newer ones now use a rebranded "Losi" 828 servo, which I believe has a "rating" of 140oz per each servo, but I dont see any difference in turning torque and they still aren't capable of centering the MT tires at a standstill. If your using servos that have enough torque to center the wheels at standstill, then you have "enough" torque from your servos. This is my guage for minimum required torque. Myself personally, I like a bit more than the bare minimum which is why I use a pair of rebadged HT 7955's(Tower Hobby TS 170's). They get the job done and then some a few times over.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

The older LST XXL's used JR 590 servos, the newer ones now use a rebranded ''Losi'' 828 servo, which I believe has a ''rating'' of 140oz per each servo, but I dont see any difference in turning torque and they still aren't capable of centering the MT tires at a standstill. If your using servos that have enough torque to center the wheels at standstill, then you have ''enough'' torque from your servos. This is my guage for minimum required torque. Myself personally, I like a bit more than the bare minimum which is why I use a pair of rebadged HT 7955's(Tower Hobby TS 170's). They get the job done and then some a few times over.
If the price is right, then I say go for it. There are good deals abound. I shop around where I can and with my luck (murphy's law sucks) I end up buying parts right before or right after a sale... go figure.

The two parts I hate having to shop for: Engines and Servos/radio gear. The stuff that tends to hurt my wallet the most.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
ntrain42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Quote:

The older LST XXL's used JR 590 servos, the newer ones now use a rebranded ''Losi'' 828 servo, which I believe has a ''rating'' of 140oz per each servo, but I dont see any difference in turning torque and they still aren't capable of centering the MT tires at a standstill. If your using servos that have enough torque to center the wheels at standstill, then you have ''enough'' torque from your servos. This is my guage for minimum required torque. Myself personally, I like a bit more than the bare minimum which is why I use a pair of rebadged HT 7955's(Tower Hobby TS 170's). They get the job done and then some a few times over.
If the price is right, then I say go for it. There are good deals abound. I shop around where I can and with my luck (murphy's law sucks) I end up buying parts right before or right after a sale... go figure.

The two parts I hate having to shop for: Engines and Servos/radio gear. The stuff that tends to hurt my wallet the most.
Those 2 items/upgrades also end up being what gives you the biggest bang for the buck too.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Quote:

Those 2 items/upgrades also end up being what gives you the biggest bang for the buck too.
I agree.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't quite agree.. - but that's just me(so I'm not arguing.. Just saying..) I have had great great times with my basher LST2 - back when it had the stock Mach in it, then with the LRP Spec 3, now with the Big Red, and with the stock Servos it's had all along. For bashing what I care about most is getting air and hopefully making a video of it.. That's what I like to do.. Being able to brag about torque stats for my servos is kind of lower down the priority-ladder - again, for me anyway. For bashing, I personally would put for ex. the New Era roll-bar and RC Raven springs higher on the list. Also, I don't think RPM's are all that necessary, when you can get some stock arms for peanuts on ebay..(I have RPM's with Lunsford titanium links on my basher btw.. Still, I don't think they're really necessary...)

No doubt Hitec titanium geared servos are better, but that's a lot of money to put into steering on a basher MT for me, just so it will "center the wheels at standstill" - which, face it, accomplishes nothing.. It's while moving that steering matters. Put us out in a field and yeah the good servo-ed truck will outperform mine a bit.. But it's the speed that will matter more than the torque.. And I mean, if all you need is to line of up for a ramp or a hill to climb, the stockers get it done... And no steering servos matter for wheelying down the street....

I do believe in having good servos in racing gear, just cuz you don't want to lose steering in the middle of a race.. If in the middle of a bash session, OK, I'll switch in a $20 stocker...

I stopped using allen keys years ago, but have still had two Hudy 1/16 tips break off in the screw. And BOTH times I was very careful and concentrated to make sure everything was straight, that I didn't over-torque it, etc.. Still, snap!!! Brittle junk..

Search this Thread