Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Novarossi 528 in an lst2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Slipracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novarossi 528 in an lst2?

Hey guys i've had my lst2 for a while now and have been slowly upgrading it. I'm looking to replace the mach with the most powerful engine I can put in it. I want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing and not making a mistake! I have alot of questions which hopfully can be answered.

Questions:

Can the drivetrain handle the novarossi 8 port? the hot mod version?
Would I have to buy the rotostart version or could I convert the bump start to an hpi or losi rotostart as well?
How hard is the mod to convert the engine to hpi or losi rotostart?
Which clutch set up works the best?
I am fine with upgrading to the steel gear conversion, would this help?
Can I use the dynamite engine brace? or what would I use?
Where is the best place to buy the engine? I live in canada and alot of places seem to be out of stock

I will be using the RD logics twin stinger pipe with the engine

I would appreciate any help at all because I have no real experience with this engine.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
NitroDemon18

Default RE: Novarossi 528 in an lst2

The Nova is a nice engine but, for alot cheaper and just as much power get the LRP .28 spec 3.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
LSTVega28

Default RE: Novarossi 528 in an lst2?

Picco .28 [sm=punching.gif]
Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Slipracer

Thanks for the quick response, that is indeed my backup plan! I just really wanted to get the Nova, since it is the best overall I believe (from the research i've done). I saw some dyno results and the nova does have a minor improvement in power over the spec three but probably has more quality parts(again I would suspect but don't know personally)
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
NitroDemon18

The good thing about the LRP is you can use your stock parts on it. Spin starter, clutch, etc.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Slipracer

The spec 3 is definately the more affordable option. I haven't herd too much about the picco at all. The nova just seems to be the one that caught my eye and now I can't stop looking at it!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Racing T

Can the drivetrain handle the novarossi 8 port? the hot mod version?
It will be fine, the LST trasnmition is one of the strongest out there in the monster truck scene, just be sure to set the slipper 3/4 or 1 turn out.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: Slipracer

Thanks for the quick response, that is indeed my backup plan! I just really wanted to get the Nova, since it is the best overall I believe (from the research i've done). I saw some dyno results and the nova does have a minor improvement in power over the spec three but probably has more quality parts(again I would suspect but don't know personally)
Ya know, I think the Picco .28 dyno was around the same as the Nova .28.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well..............i do agree the motor is a bit pricey but honestly they are worth every single penny i own 3 novarossi 528's at the moment 2 of them are still not broken in and one is fully broken in there is nothing on the market that compares to these engines........sure some one can mention the STS or LRP but noting can hang with this motor........the only other motor that can compare is the picco 28 i own 2 of them (one has over 10 gallons) and they are right up there next to the rossi(the picco rev's quicker tho).......also if ude like u can buy a SERPENT MEGA 28 it is the same thing as the PICCO 28 (litterally sleeve,crank,timing ext.) but that engine comes with a grey caseing and a orange head (i like it becuase of the head) i might get one this week of a friend of mine that doesnt whant it and it only has about 4 tanks of fuel on it (and i was the one that passed the 4 tanks to break it in for him!)

the novarossi is easy to get in ull just need to buy the thunder driverdrive addapter for it so u can use the roto start it costs about 50 bucks my friend has one in a LST2 and that thing at the track is CRAZY ........ sure there is cheaper engines that make great power but if u have the money laying around to spend it on the high HP motor on the market........trust me GO FOR IT

PS there is a few versions of this motor..........the novarossi,rex,and top ARE THE EXACT SAME 8 PORT ENGINE the only thing that changed is the color of the head it changes from purple,blue,or black also the RB 528 is almost the same thing as the rossi but it comes with a orange head and is a 7port motor...... if and when u buy ur rossi MAKE SURE U LOOK AT THE BOX AND IT SAYS 8 PORT there is a 3port version for about 50 dollars less that looks EXACTLY THE SAME read before you buy!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
blackrain

i run a hot mod version in my lst2 and it is wicked you will love the motor on there i have had no drivetrain issues.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
blackrain

i actually use the drag pin from the lrp and mod the plastic casing from the lst roto start making the screw holes longer to use it on the nova. i bought both of my hot mod nova 528 from amainhobbies.com these motors you would never replace or want to upgrade there a good long term investment. when you go with a cheaper motor when the next version comes out you will want that also and there is no re sale value on a used budget engine
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
MiamizFinest

Oh and i just noticed u mentioned the RD logics dual stinger pipe..............DONT GET IT those things lean out the motor to much and you dont wanna blow a almost 400 dollar motor the best pipe for that motor is the novarossi 9886 top end pipe.......the motor has plenty of bottom end so you really dont need bottom end pipe (if its for bashing ofcrouse) that cost me about 70 something dollars (yes its pricey) but from what i see i dont think it was worth it since the OFNA 086 pipe perferomed exactly the same (i have i think 5 of these pipes i tryed them all) and the ofna version is alot cheaper so u could save a few bucks there

if ur going to race ur LST tho I WOULD SUGEST the JP-3 i tryed it on my novarossi one day and HOLY CRAP THAT THING WAS QUICK that thing pulled out of the hole like a REAL MOSTER and screamed on the top end.....i wanted to leave it on there but i needed the pipe for my offroad track buggy ........it left me is such disbelive that ive bein wanted to buy a JP-3 for a while now but since i have so many projects gonig on i havent wanted to spend the money

you dont here much people running that JP3 on the novarossi but dam that pipe/engine combo is one sick combanation!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: blackrain

i actually use the drag pin from the lrp and mod the plastic casing from the lst roto start making the screw holes longer to use it on the nova

ive seen something like this done before i know a guy that has a HPI roto start on his.........i have no idea how he did it but he fited it in...............ive never had to use one of these methoeds since the 3 rossi's i have are all set for starter boxes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
blackrain

i run the jp2 on both my novas right know im mainly focusing on my new buggy
Old 06-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Slipracer

Ok thanks for all the responses! I'm thinking i'll get the hot mod version then but i'm not sure if I need to buy the rotostart version or the bump start version? I will be converting it to either the hpi or losi rotostart. If you can do the conversion with the bump start nova I will buy it due to the lower cost! For the engine brace can I use the dynamite one (dyn7214b) for this engine? As for the rd logics pipe, I just bought it! so I was going to use it on the nova but if there is a chance it could do damage I won't! I looked on amain's website but they don't seem to be in stock...so i'm trying to find a place where I can get one. thanks for the help and keep it comming

edit, what clutch set-ups do you guys find works the best?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Slipracer

I was just totalling it up and this engine is getting to be extremely expensive! I'm thinking if it get's too out of hand I might have to use my back-up plan and just get the spec 3 and possibly some other upgrades with the left over money.

blackrain- I noticed you had both the nova and spec 3! how do you find they compare in overall performance and reliablity?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
blackrain

they both are very reliable and easy to tune, but the nova will blow it away. i would have bought a third nova instead of the spec 3, but i just couldnt spend that kind of money a third time around. the lrp spec 3 is a very good motor for the money and i know it wont have the life span of the nova so i put it on the truck that i dont drive the most frequently.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
blackrain

if your still fairly new to this hobby i would say get the spec 3 first its a excelent engine with great power for the money. but one of the problems i see with the lrp is that its become so popular at its price point when you need to do a re build parts tend to be on back order. also a hot mod nova piston and sleeve is 200 bucks so dont mess up
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Slipracer

What clutch and shoes do you run with your novas? On the lst2 do you use the stock spur gear and engine brace?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
blackrain

mugen aluminum clutch shoes everything else is stock
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Slipracer

Well that's a bonus...I can afford to buy the nova I just think if I need to buy the engine, clutch, shoes, pipe, upgrade gear conversion it would be too much! I'm going to think it over and most importantly try to find a place which has them in stock!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
blackrain

i bought mine at amainhobbies.com
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Slipracer

I checked there but the rotostart version isn't in stock. They have the bump start version though, is that the one you bought and converted? I think i'm just going to do something similar to what you did so I can use the losi rotostart. I'm just unsure as to which one to get bump start or roto! I don't want to buy the bump only to find out it can't be converted!! Do you know which one I should get?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
blackrain

you need the roto start version mine came with that same setup the shaft on the tiger drive that goes into the oneway bering wore out and it wouldnt grab the one way bering so i switched to the lst roto start
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Slipracer

Ok that's good to know! I would have probably tried to save some money and then not been able to use the engine[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.