Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

how to break in my xxl motor....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM
c.rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to break in my xxl motor....

ok guys, give me some links, help etc.. the guys at the shop said to let it idle for the first tank, then for a couple of tanks blip the throttle, varying length and time on each tank.

i know this is a touchy subject. lol. just looking for some differant opinions to find the one i want to use.

i guess im looking for the method to give me the most longevity out of the motor. im not racing it, or anything like that. so im not concerned in breaking it in "hot" to get that extra 1/16th hp.... lol
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: how to break in my xxl motor....

do a search on "heat cycle break in"  Good method used by many.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
dzchey21

Your hobby shop is right

Most people recomend idling for the first 5-10 minuts to get the bearings seated in before the engine sees any rpms.

THen set the truck on the ground make some ovals blipping the throttle, but dont hold high rpms for very long, its a good idea to get a temp gun and check temps, once you get to about 200 let it stay at 200 for about a minute then shut it off putting the piston and bottom dead center to cool

THe part im not sure on is some have said let cool all the way down, others say to about 150 then restart and make circles.
I think the most important part is you want to get some heat in the engine, but not too much, you also want to be sure you are running a rich setting, but not so rich that the engine cant get any heat to it, and dont hold any particular rpm for a very long time.

Pretty much work on that for about 5 tanks of fuel and you should have it pretty good, there was a thread on lst forums that was pretty good, stated basically what i just said but i little more in depth.

I dont really think there is a wrong way to break it in other than getting it really hot, or over reving the engine in the begining.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My opinion:

1.) Take out plug. Look down in engine, rotate flywheel to point where piston is at absolute bottom point. That is BDC. Then scratch a notch on your flywheel at 12:00. This way, when you rotate the flywheel with the notch at 12, you know the piston is at BDC.
2.) Put a sock around the cooling head.
3.) Start the engine. Plop it on the ground. No more than 1/3 throttle slow blips in slow, boring figure-8's..(or just back and forth.. Go easy, your diffs also have to "break in" - or seat..) Check the temperature(You need a heat-gun, obviously..) You want it to get to 200-225F. If it gets there too fast, take the sock off. If it takes too long, lean the HSN ever so slightly, in 1/12 increments. Once the engine gets to that temp range, shut off engine, and immediately rotate flywheel to 12:00.
4.) Bring yo-yo or book to read, maybe a banzai tree to trim, do push-ups, wax on, wax off, etc.. Wait for the engine to cool completely.
5.) Repeat this process about ten times.. Always driving with very slow throttle blurps not more than 1/3 or so. Lean the HSN a tad if it's really puking out a lot of fuel. Most important is to get temps to 200 or slightly over, shut down, let cool, repeat(as the cycles go by, I generally let it go a bit longer, maybe even a whole tank after 4-5 cylces if temps are staying where they should.) This is heat cycling.
6.) No full throttle craziness in the first half gallon. After that, lett'er rip.