Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST Electric conversion question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST Electric conversion question...

Has anoyone done the Electric Conversion in their LST? Iam thinking of using the Losi kit and was wondering how the results turned out. Seems very backend heavy from what Ihave seen.
Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: LST Electric conversion question...

I just bought a XXL roller and the Losi LOSB0017 Conversion Kit. I am waiting on a brushless motor and ESC before I start my build. Looks relatively easy to do with this kit. Yes it seems it may be a bit back heavy but I think it will be fine.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
sav-e-o-so
My Feedback: (18)

I have the losi kit on an lst and an lst xxl. Works fine. If you want to put I lil weight in the front just chop the battery tray and put in the front. That's what I did with the xxl. Works wonders. the lst still has the tray in the rest and wheeling like crazy.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Orcatkt

I was thinking of moving the battery tray, got any pics of hows yours is mounted? Trying to avoid the wheely like mad situation. Want to go fast
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: Orcatkt

I was thinking of moving the battery tray, got any pics of hows yours is mounted? Trying to avoid the wheely like mad situation. Want to go fast
SAV-E-O-SO .......I'm interested as well. CAn you post some photos of your build for us? what motor and ESC combo did you go with?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Don't forget about adjusting throttle control and punch control. It makes a huge difference to minimize wheelies and it otherwise doesn't impact acceleration or top speed.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: sav-e-o-so

I have the losi kit on an lst and an lst xxl. Works fine. If you want to put I lil weight in the front just chop the battery tray and put in the front. That's what I did with the xxl. Works wonders. the lst still has the tray in the rest and wheeling like crazy.
What Motor/ESC combo did you go with? I am thinking the Mamba Monster ESC with 2200KV Castle motor. The same set-up the BL E-Revo has.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Orcatkt

Got the conversion and and assembled. So far happy with how things went. Now Iam trying to decide on engines, anyone have experience with the Castle Mamba Monster Pro vs the Tekin RX8? Iknow which one has better military discount, but Iwant performance more than a little price difference.
For now the Losi conversion is mounted in straight from the kit. If I need to Iwill move battery locations around to fine tune it. Will post pictures later on.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
JUCD VPR

What did you decide on MOTOR/ESC Combo? I am still wondering which combo I will buy. I was thinking the mamba Monster ESC with 2200KV out fo a BL E-Revo?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
JUCD VPR

Got the conversion and and assembled. So far happy with how things went. Now I am trying to decide on engines, anyone have experience with the Castle Mamba Monster Pro vs the Tekin RX8? I know which one has better military discount, but I want performance more than a little price difference.
For now the Losi conversion is mounted in straight from the kit. If I need to I will move battery locations around to fine tune it. Will post pictures later on.
Man I TRIED getting my conversion done this past weekend but I hit a HUGE snag when I TRIED to pull the bolt out of the Tranny gears, it would not come out no matter what I did. Which resulted in me stripping the bolt, buying an easy out, still would not come out and then I finally just drilled the bolt head off and now i;m waiting for new shafts to come in the mail. What a PITA! Did you have any problems taking out the two bolts in the tranny shafts to install the HD gears. I got the main Diff shaft done easy but the other two took me for quite the ride, I felt like taking a sledge hammer to the truck...,correction I still feel like taking a sledge hammer to the truck!!

I decided to go with the Mamba Monster ESC and Castle 2200KV motor, same set-up out of the BL E-Revo. Once I get the shafts in the mial this week i'll see how it goes, it SHOULD be a piece of cake from here on lol I HOPE!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Orcatkt

Iended up dremeling a slot into the top of the screw so Icould use an oversize flathead. got it out, just had to replace a screw. Thank goodness for spares boxes. Fitted the single speed hub and the forward only kit while Iwas in there. So should be a nicerig when Ifinally get it running,
Have everything setup now, just waiting to put in the motor, probably going with the Castle Mamba Monster with their 2650 motor. Will post pics of the truck once it is done.
Anyone changed an LSTto run Hitec servos? Is it worth the hassle? Thinking about pulling th eJR 126MT's out in favour of Hitec 625MG. Any one have opinions?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
JUCD VPR

I ended up dremeling a slot into the top of the screw so I could use an oversize flathead. got it out, just had to replace a screw. Thank goodness for spares boxes. Fitted the single speed hub and the forward only kit while I was in there. So should be a nice rig when I finally get it running,
Have everything setup now, just waiting to put in the motor, probably going with the Castle Mamba Monster with their 2650 motor. Will post pics of the truck once it is done.
Anyone changed an LST to run Hitec servos? Is it worth the hassle? Thinking about pulling th eJR 126MT's out in favour of Hitec 625MG. Any one have opinions?
I'm still on the fence on the Single Speed Hub. For my understanding, may I ask why you went this route besides keeping the 2 speed and reverse?

So when you say FORWARD ONLY, are you really meaning your only having FWD and no reverse or are you still going to utilizing the reverse via the ESC?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Orcatkt

By going to the single speed hub Icould remove the one way bearing. Add that to the one way conversion in the gearbox (lower rotating mass) and you have better electric performance. Then you can use reverse and braking from the ESCand remove the brakes from the transmission.
So i get to remove the forward / reverse gearing, the servo and the brakes and servo. All of this is more weight off, and with the way the ESCcontrols braking etc thesedays, there should be no loss in stopping power. Hell, Ican even set ABSin my radio!
The Single Speed Hub is the key though, if you keep the two speed andthe oneway bearing you have to reverse using the gear selector.
So all up, Ican now run the truck as a simple two channel system.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 AM
JUCD VPR

By going to the single speed hub I could remove the one way bearing. Add that to the one way conversion in the gearbox (lower rotating mass) and you have better electric performance. Then you can use reverse and braking from the ESC and remove the brakes from the transmission.
So i get to remove the forward / reverse gearing, the servo and the brakes and servo. All of this is more weight off, and with the way the ESC controls braking etc thesedays, there should be no loss in stopping power. Hell, I can even set ABS in my radio!
The Single Speed Hub is the key though, if you keep the two speed and the oneway bearing you have to reverse using the gear selector.
So all up, I can now run the truck as a simple two channel system.
What is the one way conversion in the gear box? IS this something I need to buy?

I think I am going to go this route too, sounds much easier....does the single speed hub come with directions on how to do it. Is it pretty simple?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Orcatkt

The forward only kit removes the reverse gears and the low speed gearing from inside your transmission.  Then the Single speed hub replaces he slipper etc for the spur gear.  This is a fairly easy change, remove slipper, bolt the spur to the new hub, install new hub on the shaft.  Doesn't take a lot of work.  But it makes the setup much better for electric! 
Only thing I would like is to figure out how to have the two spur gears attached without running the slipper, but still I am expecting enough power to make it plenty fast as it is
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
JUCD VPR

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I ordered the Forward only conversion and the single speed hub today. This conversion is getting a bit pricey, i'm hoping it'll all be worth it once I get it all together! Wait for parts again lol....
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
compcast

anybody know what iis the top speeds for a brushless lst an anyone tried it with losi 59t spur
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Orcatkt

Honestly no idea on top speed. I dont expect it to be slower than the axial 32 Ihad in the thing. Waiting on themotor and ESC at the moment. Heres a couple of pics of it just now though. Only concern Ihave is will the front stay down, wont know that to I have the motor in and slipper set. Looks like I will be sticking in a Tekin RX8 at the moment. Pricing is better and right now that is enough for me lol. Yes the Autobot logo is cheesy, and that is why I did it... and my two boys love it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78204.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1591188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73334.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1591189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18692.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1591190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11311.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1591191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf52074.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1591192  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 AM
JUCD VPR

I just put mine all together. I will see how it runs Sunday, i'd go test it tomorrow but were supposed to get rain most of the day BOO! lol

I also decided to mount the battery tray in the front of the truck. The added weight in the rear end worried me so I just put it up front. I also added the Losi Wheelie bar and painted up a nice F-650 body for it. I'm excited!

Did you get your motor yet?

I love the GMC Topkick body. I have the exact same one I run on my Flux Hp. The transformers emblem is sweet. My body did not come with one. Looks good man!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
JUCD VPR

Orcatkt - How is the progress man? I got my BL XXL Conversion all done and it is all up and running great! I mounted the battery tray in the front and moved the receiver box in the rear. I like it better this way and the added weight in the front helps but It's not much considering how much power this baby has but i'm glad I moved it, added weight in the rear would just make the wheelies worse.

Now all I need is the rain to STOP so I can go run it hard and really get it tested out. I did a few short passes and man this thing RIPS IT!! I went with the F-650 body and painted it Silver installed the Mamba MOnster ESC and 2200KV Castle Motor (set-up out of a BL Revo). Installed the wheelie bar, forward only conversion, and the single speed hub! I plan on making a thread on it once I get it all tested. The Losi E-XXL is ready to take on the BL E-Revo
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Orcatkt

Mine has been sitting waiting for me to get off my butt. Just need to order the motor (and receiverif Idon't have the spare one Ithink Ido!)and plug it in but keep distracting myself with other projects. Probably will order it next week all going well, the Tekin has some nice pricing on it, and it looks good in the red, but Ido like the Castle green like in my shortcourse... ohh desicions!!!
My son and Imade the Transformers logo, printed it out on laminating paper, cut, peel! instant cheap paint mask. Now Ijust have to get it running in time for the Diggers Dungeon racing next month...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Orcatkt

Ok, so Ifinally got a motor!!! Castle Creations 2200Kv on the Mambo Monster Max. Green is sooo puurty.
Anyway, photos attached, need to pick up a receiver and a single speed hub(lost the other one ) solder in the EC5'sand hopefully running this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98121.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1606846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56664.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1606847   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98715.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1606848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46234.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1606849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om93720.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1606850  
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM
JUCD VPR

Lookin good man. Wait till you experience the power of that 2200KV motor! Wheelie city! Might want to consider moving your batt trays up front, thats what i did.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Orcatkt

Yeah,Ialready was looking at that one. How did you get the receiver box to mount? Drove it aruond hte house yesterday to test the electrics work. Still have the one-way bearing attached, new Single Speed is not here yet but still everything works!!
Have a receiver batt attached beacuse the Futaba / Castle things dont seem happy together, will fit a proper BEConeday but for right now it is close to being a full runner!
Oh yeah, rewired the ESCto take 2 batteries instead of one. That way I can run 2cells, 3cells, or a singl 4, 5, or 6. Just fit a shunt when Iam running only only battery and bob's your uncle!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
JUCD VPR

Yeah, I already was looking at that one. How did you get the receiver box to mount? Drove it aruond hte house yesterday to test the electrics work. Still have the one-way bearing attached, new Single Speed is not here yet [img][/img] but still everything works!!
Have a receiver batt attached beacuse the Futaba / Castle things dont seem happy together, will fit a proper BEC oneday but for right now it is close to being a full runner!
Oh yeah, rewired the ESC to take 2 batteries instead of one. That way I can run 2cells, 3cells, or a singl 4, 5, or 6. Just fit a shunt when I am running only only battery and bob's your uncle!
I moved the receiver box to the rear of the truck and just drilled some holes in the chassis and used the existing screws and screwed it in. Very simple. You will need an extension wire to be able to plug in the steering servos though. Yah I run Deans connectors and run 2 - 3S 5000mah Lipo's in mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.