Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

For the record...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the record...

Well, for the record, its not a direct bolt on to put an Associated .28 from an MGT onto an LST.

My mother in law wanted to buy a good .28 for my father in law for his B-Day. So i looked all over ebay and hobby shops and was really looking for a losi 454 or big red .28. They were all around $150. So, i found the Associated .28(which i have had 2 of and really like) for $134.99 shipped at tower and she bought that for him since she wasnt wanting to spend a whole lot.

I put it on Friday night to surprise him with Saturday. Got the old one off no problems, bolted the motor mount up no problems, then the trouble started. The flywheel fits back over the block of the engine some on the LST trucks. However, the block is too big on the AE engine to allow the flywheel to fit over it. So, I had to space the flywheel out with a washer slightly, and still take a dremel to the inside of the flywheel and bevel it slightly. Fit great after that, but then the front bearing on the bell was out past the end of the crank very slightly. If i snugged up the crank bolt it would tighten up on the bearing and bind so that the bell wouldnt spin. So, after some thinking, I took a long 3mm bolt, cut it to length so that it would only tighten up enough to hold everything snug with just the right amount of play and no binding. Bell and spur gears line up perfect and so i got it bolted in.

Next was the stock header and exhaust. The header is kind of big where it slides onto the exhaust outlet of the engine, and the backplate on the AE engine is big as well. So, after a little dremeling on the bottom of the header right where it slides on(not noticeable), everything fit up perfect.

I knew the header would need to be ground, but never thought id have problems with the clutch. The hard work payed off though. We got 2 tanks through the break in last night and its running awesome[8D] Cant wait to get finished breaking it in and start getting some power out of it This is his pulling truck, so the larger displacement should make a good difference for him.

Just thought id share.

Eric
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: For the record...

Good job man thats what I call adapting and overcoming! Way to keep at it!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
cummins driver

Well, it was either that, or tell my mother in law she had to send the engine back! lol

It wasnt too bad once i figured it out. It did give me a hard time for a few minutes though. This thing ought to be pretty strong once we get it broke in.

Eric
Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Well, it was either that, or tell my mother in law she had to send the engine back! lol

It wasnt too bad once i figured it out. It did give me a hard time for a few minutes though. This thing ought to be pretty strong once we get it broke in.

Eric
Some engines are tricky to mount in an LST platform truck. I know Picco's dont drop right in and fit properly either.

I'm assuming the engine you put in isn't an LRP...?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I like to hear. . . Some good old enginuity! Keep us posted and how about a Video?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
cummins driver

What all has to be done for a picco? Just curious if it has issues with the flywheel like i did. No, the engine is not an SH/LRP derivative. Its made by thunder tiger/Associated. They are pretty good engines for the price.

BigBlock- I plan on some pictures soon since I made him a roll bar I wanted to show you guys, and I would like to get some video as well maybe after we get it broke in. Sunday is going to be awesome weather, so we are going to finish the break in after church and then let it loose a little bit

Ill keep you guys posted
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I remember 2DMaxx showing how you had to put washers under the screws in the engine mount (on top) so the engine would sit a bit higher and line up right with the linkage.. I think that was all there was to it.. Been a llllooonnggg time though since he posted anything..
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

What all has to be done for a picco? Just curious if it has issues with the flywheel like i did. No, the engine is not an SH/LRP derivative. Its made by thunder tiger/Associated. They are pretty good engines for the price.

BigBlock- I plan on some pictures soon since I made him a roll bar I wanted to show you guys, and I would like to get some video as well maybe after we get it broke in. Sunday is going to be awesome weather, so we are going to finish the break in after church and then let it loose a little bit

Ill keep you guys posted
The picco bit is what HerrSavage said - you shim the engine up from the engine mount for a picco using washers or small spacers.

I figured it was the TT .28 and not the LRP, I just wanted to be sure. Most of the guys using LRP's dont have to make many mods to get the engine into the truck. TT makes those engines for AE, but have to ties to one-another AFAIK. TT engines are good engines. I have a TT .46 Pro Aero engine and I love it.

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I think I remember 2DMaxx showing how you had to put washers under the screws in the engine mount (on top) so the engine would sit a bit higher and line up right with the linkage.. I think that was all there was to it.. Been a llllooonnggg time though since he posted anything..
I think there were photos on LSTforums awhile back that showed it for those that didnt understand. Is LSTForums up on a regular basis yet? I haven't been able to login for awhile.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM
cummins driver

Well, its not the first time i've ran into problems installing an engine/motor/etc so I guess it might as well be expected to have to do a few things when changing things around. haha It wasnt bad, just a little time consuming.

Thats one reason i was looking for a 454, as i knew it would drop right in. Wouldnt you know right after she received the AE 4.6, a 454 comes up on ebay buy it now for the same price. Oh well, doesent really matter though because i know the AE .28 is a great engine and will serve him well. Id say power between the 2 probably is similar anyways. I know my monster gt will get down the road with the stock AE 4.6 in it

Eric
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
cummins driver

Well we got finished with the breakin today. We ran 5 tanks of break in, running it harder as we went. On the 6th tank I leaned the LSN and got the HSN set right as well as the idle, and this thing is pretty dang quick Flipped it on its back once, and it will wheelie on demand in first gear. Starts good and all works well. He is really happy with it. He also scratched up the paint on the roll bar i built him when he flipped it over. haha Throttle response is instant though, and it comes right back to idle after a high speed run. We have a pull coming up this weekend, and he is going to try and get a couple more tanks through it before then, but its pretty much ready how it sits[8D]

I had full intentions of getting video, but i forgot my camera so no video yet. I may try and get some pics soon though.

Eric
Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
cummins driver

Ok, i used the in law's camera You can also see the roll bar I built him. Well worth the $5 in steel to save your engine head when you arent running a body. haha Its real sturdy and makes a good handle. It was part of my birthday present to him. haha

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60458.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1588294   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc91385.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1588295   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot47696.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1588296   Click image for larger version

Name:	rl25022.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1588297   Click image for larger version

Name:	eq87428.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1588298   Click image for larger version

Name:	qh65662.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1588299   Click image for larger version

Name:	vy48044.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1588300  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ok, i used the in law's camera You can also see the roll bar I built him. Well worth the $5 in steel to save your engine head when you arent running a body. haha Its real sturdy and makes a good handle. It was part of my birthday present to him. haha

Thunder Tiger engines are great engines. Anyone that I've known that has had one has loved it. I think the head could use a little "flair" as it looks rather boring the way it is but nonetheless should run for a very long time. They get more powerful as you get more fuel through it... They really shine after a gallon.

I like the roll bar. Did you use a bender or just heat it up and bend it by hand?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
cummins driver

Yep, thunder tiger engines are pretty darn good i think. I have had 2 of the .28's like his(1 of them in my MGT right now), and I have also had a .21 on an older MGT, and I have a brand new .21 in the box right now im just waiting to either find a use for, or sell. haha This engine has some real good power already and im sure it will get a little better still after some more fuel has gone through it. The head isnt anything special as you say, but it gets the job done and i like the color. haha

The roll bar is made out of 1/4" solid steel rod I bought at tractor supply. I just put it in the vice and bent it all by hand without heating it up. Its really not too bad to bend by hand like that, but I have built 3 roll cages out of the same stuff so far and have yet to bend one of them even by a 14lb truck landing upside down on them multiple times. I guess why i like it is because its easy enough to bend and weld up, and then you will really be doing something if the truck itself ever bends it. haha

He doesent have a back bumper on the truck because of his hitch. He got a little hasty with a wheelie today after we got the engine broken in and i got it tuned and flipped it over without the body on it Im glad he had the bar because he would have put the first scratches on that head otherwise. haha He broke the top fin clean off of his mach .26 the first or 2nd time he did that, so i figured a roll bar would be a great thing for him to have.

Eric
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yep, thunder tiger engines are pretty darn good i think. I have had 2 of the .28's like his(1 of them in my MGT right now), and I have also had a .21 on an older MGT, and I have a brand new .21 in the box right now im just waiting to either find a use for, or sell. haha This engine has some real good power already and im sure it will get a little better still after some more fuel has gone through it. The head isnt anything special as you say, but it gets the job done and i like the color. haha

The roll bar is made out of 1/4'' solid steel rod I bought at tractor supply. I just put it in the vice and bent it all by hand without heating it up. Its really not too bad to bend by hand like that, but I have built 3 roll cages out of the same stuff so far and have yet to bend one of them even by a 14lb truck landing upside down on them multiple times. I guess why i like it is because its easy enough to bend and weld up, and then you will really be doing something if the truck itself ever bends it. haha

He doesent have a back bumper on the truck because of his hitch. He got a little hasty with a wheelie today after we got the engine broken in and i got it tuned and flipped it over without the body on it Im glad he had the bar because he would have put the first scratches on that head otherwise. haha He broke the top fin clean off of his mach .26 the first or 2nd time he did that, so i figured a roll bar would be a great thing for him to have.

Eric
Yeah, scratched/scuffed heads sucks. My SH .28 LST2 flipped on me accidentally before I had the wing on it and rashed the head up. One of these days I'm gonna track down another red SH head and stick it on there.. I hate it when the heads are all beat up.. makes it look like you abuse the snot out of the rig, and I dont abuse my stuff.. just get throttle happy.. lol.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
cummins driver

Well I have some video finally. Its a pulling video though

I got his truck all set up to pull and we went last night to our first points pull of the year. He ended up winning. I got 3rd. I feel like his tires must have been better and im thinking i would benefit from some lower gearing which i already have in the works. We should be about the same power wise, so i just gotta work on my setup. But anyways, you can see it is running really strong. The guy that got 2nd place was running a novarossi .28. He better watch out for me too once i get my new gearing in and possibly make some other changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7HCu2tLFw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7HCu2tLFw[/youtube]