Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
bjhe333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro vs Electric

I know this debate must be tiring but a friend and myself were beating on our trucks the other day and his statement of why he got out of nitro for the seventh time started to annoy me. Once we furthered the discussion I posed the question would I have the same problem if I did the electric conversion? He stopped talking finally, looked at me and said I see your point. What I mean by this is anything broken on my truck after a hard day of bashing had no relation to the nitro motor. HA Here is the senerio. I have an LST1, it is getting old and the original parts are giving out one after another. My transmission finally gave out after over 5 years of continuous abuse. Later in the day my diff retainer, (also an original part) gave out which pinched the rod connecting the servos and broke that( also original). Turns out the transmission was dry, I MEAN DRY, no broken parts or gears just no lube and a shifting fork that moved. That was my fault. Poor maintenance. OK Now his truck, this is a fairly new traxxas slash 2wd running lipos. Shock tower broke(front), output yoke broke, drive pin broke, both rear shock shafts bent beyond repair, and did I mention the bearing carrier? BROKE. My point is the discussion nitro vs electric can go on forever but the fact remains that both trucks had NO issues with motor/ engine/ esc/ receiver. Thats right, the broken parts had nothing to do with electric vs nitro. So, turns out most of the stuff coming out of his mouth was because he couldn't properly tune a nitro engine. Beyond the broken parts and torn ego's what I personally got out of this is that no matter what you buy stuff will break. Have fun
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Nitro vs Electric

ORIGINAL: bjhe333

I know this debate must be tiring but a friend and myself were beating on our trucks the other day and his statement of why he got out of nitro for the seventh time started to annoy me. Once we furthered the discussion I posed the question would I have the same problem if I did the electric conversion? He stopped talking finally, looked at me and said I see your point. What I mean by this is anything broken on my truck after a hard day of bashing had no relation to the nitro motor. HA Here is the senerio. I have an LST1, it is getting old and the original parts are giving out one after another. My transmission finally gave out after over 5 years of continuous abuse. Later in the day my diff retainer, (also an original part) gave out which pinched the rod connecting the servos and broke that( also original). Turns out the transmission was dry, I MEAN DRY, no broken parts or gears just no lube and a shifting fork that moved. That was my fault. Poor maintenance. OK Now his truck, this is a fairly new traxxas slash 2wd running lipos. Shock tower broke(front), output yoke broke, drive pin broke, both rear shock shafts bent beyond repair, and did I mention the bearing carrier? BROKE. My point is the discussion nitro vs electric can go on forever but the fact remains that both trucks had NO issues with motor/ engine/ esc/ receiver. Thats right, the broken parts had nothing to do with electric vs nitro. So, turns out most of the stuff coming out of his mouth was because he couldn't properly tune a nitro engine. Beyond the broken parts and torn ego's what I personally got out of this is that no matter what you buy stuff will break. Have fun
This would have been a good final post in the last Nitro vs. Electric thread that floated around for awhile. Its quite true - It is going to break, sooner or later no matter what brand or power source. If you maintain your rig by checking and replacing the 20-some bearings in the rig, that alone would save a lot of wear and tear on the truck/car as a whole.

I don't think this thread needs to go the same way as the last one where everyone argues different reasons that one is better than the other. Its a ford vs. chevy argument that will last forever.. I have no interest in that.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But your referring to your LST vice his Slash 2WD. And if you;'ve owned a Slash 2wd you'd know they are weak and break a TON of parts if you bash them. My buddy just dumped over 500 bucks into his Slash 2WD before he finally listened and bought the 4x4, completely mdifferent trucks. His 4x4 Slash takes some serious abuse.

Your right no matter electric or Nitro they ALL break. However as a person who has owned Nitro, Gas, and Electric...no doubt electric is much easier to work with, cleaner, less finaky, less problems and this is all from my experience. I started with Nitro, moved to Gas, and now I own mostly electric burshless and run Lipo batteries, although I do have one Nitro Savage X SS. I prefer electric, cleaner and faster, less work and when you have 6+ trucks, less work is better lol but thats my opinion.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
steed2-inactive

Their both great!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
zildjanlang

Why not try getting an electric, see for yourself. If you are not happy with the other ,sell or keep it .You will loose some but not that much to stop you from wondering which is better.

There are days nitro/Gas is better, some days Electric is just right! Better to have both!