Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

DX3S Telemetry question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default DX3S Telemetry question..

I know the Telemetry isnt the most accurate, but I thought for S&G's to put the sensors on. Does anyone know if the sensors that come in the DX3S radio kit are the same exact parts as what comes on the XXL? The sensors that came in my kit dont have long enough wires to run from the engine to the radio box. Are there extensions that can be had or....?

Engine is an SH .28 P6 w/ losi flywheel & clutch.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:42 AM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX3S Telemetry question..

just grab some 6 inch servo extension wires. the lhs will carry them most likely. good luck with the rpm sensor[:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: steed2

just grab some 6 inch servo extension wires. the lhs will carry them most likely. good luck with the rpm sensor[:@][:@][:@]
Does the 454 come with a different flywheel that's got enough room for the sticker for the sensor? Both of my LST2's have smaller flywheels that come on the 427's.

Anyone got a pic of their RPM sensor mounted on a stock XXL/454?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Mclovin350z

I think it's just a speed sensor, located on the front drive shaft.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

I think it's just a speed sensor, located on the front drive shaft.
My DX3S kit came with two temp sensors, and the RPM sensor. The manual shows the RPM sensor mounted on top of the engine's mount lug but I know for a fact the Losi flywheels that I have aren't large enough in diameter to come close to getting that little sticker onto.

I just assumed they used a different flywheel on the 454 to accommodate for the RPM sensor.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

rpm sensor is on the axle.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

rpm sensor is on the axle.
I'm guessing I have to find the bracket for the XXL to mount the sensor in my LST2. The brakets that came in the kit are for engine mount installations only, I think.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Mclovin350z

I took all that crap out of my xxl. The temp kept beeping at me when it reached 237, which was more like 220, and the rpm never worked when it was new.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I took all that crap out of my xxl. The temp kept beeping at me when it reached 237, which was more like 220, and the rpm never worked when it was new.
I didnt care too much about either/or, I just wanted to put them on just to see what they say. I have a venom failsafe/temp gauge on the SH .28 truck, only for the temp readout since the radio has a failsafe built in. So far the sensors are still in their original packaging and maybe they'll stay that way.

On a different note that I am concerned with... When I installed the two receivers (one SR3300T telemetry Rx and the SR300 Sport Rx) I noticed the antenna wires are really short. I know most of them come that way, so when I installed the receivers in (both LST2's) the stock radio boxes I put the receivers as close to the antenna wire hole as I could and held them in place with velcro. I ran the wire through the hole and cut an antenna straw down to be just shorter than the wire is long so I could fold the end of the antenna over the top of the straw and put a rubber antenna cap on it. It looked neat and compact, but I ran into several instances where I would hit the throttle and nothing would happen with the truck at about 50 yards away. This was on pavement. I ran it through a soccer field and had the truck roughly 75 yards away and it responded well from what I could tell. (I couldn't hear the engine at all in the grass as this distance) I did try running the truck without the rubber cap on and the wire sticking straight up but still the problem persisted. At any distance shorter than say 50 yards it responded fine. I also noticed that when the throttle wouldnt respond on the truck, the receiver did not go into failsafe mode (full brakes) so I am a little stumped. If it lost a connection, it should have tripped and set the brakes which it didnt do. I installed and setup the radio according to conventional wisdom, however I'm not real familiar with the "quirks" of the 2.4GHz radios.

Any thoughts on this? I rarely find the need to ask questions with these trucks I just dont ever have any problems with them.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Mclovin350z

Hmmm. I really don't have a clue there. All my trx systems have long antenna wires, but only about 2 inches are in a tube and I can go almost 1/4 mile no problem. Haven't ever looked at the xxl radio sytem, I just run it as is.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Hmmm. I really don't have a clue there. All my trx systems have long antenna wires, but only about 2 inches are in a tube and I can go almost 1/4 mile no problem. Haven't ever looked at the xxl radio sytem, I just run it as is.
Is the antenna wire in your XXL in a tube or just in the radio box? The weather the day I was having the problem was windy - 10-15mph, cloudy, and probably 50°. I'll probably take it to another park in the area and see if there was just some interference causing problems.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Mclovin350z

It's in a tube about 2" long, not sure how long the wire really is though.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

It's in a tube about 2'' long, not sure how long the wire really is though.
Oh okay... gotcha. Mine's setup about the same then.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
ntrain42

Telemetry is actually relatively accurate and more importantly its very consistent. With the rpm monitor you dont want to mount that to the driveshafts like they do on the LST. The pickup sticker will fly right off, better mounting it direct to the engine motormount / flywheel assembly. The temp sensor you need to make sure its mounted the the LOWEST FIN on the heatsink. The battery voltage obviously is incorperated into the rx. And they make plenty of extension wires for rx's etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

Telemetry is actually relatively accurate and more importantly its very consistent. With the rpm monitor you dont want to mount that to the driveshafts like they do on the LST. The pickup sticker will fly right off, better mounting it direct to the engine motormount / flywheel assembly. The temp sensor you need to make sure its mounted the the LOWEST FIN on the heatsink. The battery voltage obviously is incorperated into the rx. And they make plenty of extension wires for rx's etc.
The only problem with mounting the RPM sensor in either of my LST2 trucks is the fact the losi flywheels are too small in diameter to get the sticker onto and get the sensor close enough. I would have to change flywheels in order to mount the sensor on the motor mounts.

I could probably make something to fit, but I dont have a tap that small. Those screws have to be 2-56 or thereabouts.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Telemetry is actually relatively accurate and more importantly its very consistent. With the rpm monitor you dont want to mount that to the driveshafts like they do on the LST. The pickup sticker will fly right off, better mounting it direct to the engine motormount /flywheel assembly. The temp sensor you need to make sure its mounted the the LOWEST FIN on the heatsink. The battery voltage obviously is incorperated into the rx. And they make plenty of extension wires for rx's etc.
The only problem with mounting the RPM sensor in either of my LST2 trucks is the fact the losi flywheels are too small in diameter to get the sticker onto and get the sensor close enough. I would have to change flywheels in order to mount the sensor on the motor mounts.

I could probably make something to fit, but I dont have a tap that small. Those screws have to be 2-56 or thereabouts.
Might want to look it over again, I could get my rpm sensor to the flywheel with the sticker without any real modification done. You have both the long and short sensor arm right?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Telemetry is actually relatively accurate and more importantly its very consistent. With the rpm monitor you dont want to mount that to the driveshafts like they do on the LST. The pickup sticker will fly right off, better mounting it direct to the engine motormount / flywheel assembly. The temp sensor you need to make sure its mounted the the LOWEST FIN on the heatsink. The battery voltage obviously is incorperated into the rx. And they make plenty of extension wires for rx's etc.

Might want to look it over again, I could get my rpm sensor to the flywheel with the sticker without any real modification done. You have both the long and short sensor arm right?
My kit came with two mounts for the RPM sensor. 1 for big blocks and 1 for small blocks. There isnt enough room for a sticker to fit on the outer part of the flywheel and where the sensor ends up bolting onto the motor mount, the photo eye is about 1/8" to the outside of the flywheel's edge. The flywheel is just too small in Diameter. I am pretty sure I need a different flywheel. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow if I have time.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
millzee

just for giggles when I was bored the other night I stuck my eagle tree in my XXL and was amazed to find the telementry speed was almost spot on with the gps speed, might have been a fluke, but it sure showed me that it's very accurate when all your settings are done right.