Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How on earth do you strip tranny gears with a mach 427 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

How on earth do you strip tranny gears with a mach 427 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How on earth do you strip tranny gears with a mach 427 ?

Somehow i managed to strip the stupid main bevel gear in the transmission. Somehow people manage to run 6s without problem in these things and mine breaks with a Mach 427 spinning it??? Thats one thing i have heard for a long time. How strong the transmission, etc.. is on the LST trucks. So far im not real impressed with the durability. Broken engine brace, busted fuel tank from chassis flex, and stripped tranny gears all in maybe 2 months. I have the gears ordered, and at $10 its not that bad, but it sure is a pain to have a transmission gear strip.

On the other hand, I put a Picco carb on the Mach 427 and it tunes much nicer and doesent boil the fuel anymore. Im still not content with the idle though. I can get it to idle perfect for maybe 20 seconds after a hard run, and it will idle fairly stable and then all of a sudden it drops RPM and then dies within about 2 seconds. If i wait until the RPM drop right before it dies, and i nail it, it takes off perfect. Its not loading up, not too lean, etc... Dont know if it doesent like the glow plug in it, or what the problem is.

Here are the pictures. If you pay close attention you can see the 5 or so burred over teeth on the gear. Excuse the dirty truck... Guess since the tranny is out thats a good reason to clean it a little...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec90020.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1635331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16792.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1635332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51360.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1635333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58396.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1635334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50563.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1635335  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How on earth do you strip tranny gears with a mach 427 ?

Sell it and go plunk around with your Savage. You clearly aren't getting along with it. How you managed to strip tranny gears I have no idea.. I've never managed it.., or heard of anyone else doing it. Pulling in the lo setting maybe.. Pulling is stupid anyway, and will fry clutches and gears on anything.. If you plan on being serious about pulling and doing it often - with any MT, you're obviously gonna have to do some mods and accept higher wear and tear.. It's not a natural thing to be doing with a stock RC - at least if you expect normal wear and tear.

Also, bunk on the Picco carb. It "tunes" nicer? What does that even mean, if the idle isn't better? You couldn't get it to NOT run too lean or too rich before? The whole point was the idle.. Throw your Axial in it if you don't like the Mach..

Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 AM
cummins driver

You know what; if you have a problem with me you can get over it. Im not happy with this losi at the moment and i have every right to be. I like the truck, but it sure has been a pain so far. Its my truck and Ill do what i want with it.

Pulling is stupid? I can assure you i will break far less pulling than you do jumping. End of story. My monster GT transmission has held up perfectly pulling. I have made 15 hooks on it so far and not a single issue. This losi has seen 3 hooks, has a smaller engine, and less traction. Not to mention after 15 hooks on the MGT the clutch still looks new. If the gearing is right, the clutches last forever. Its not like i was even pulling when this happened.

The picco carb tunes nicer because its not boiling the fuel! It runs completely consistently throughout the whole tank and idles perfect for about 20 seconds. With the stock carb, you had to tune it rich to run good when it was hot. So then when you first start it the next time, it was pig rich until that good old carb warmed up and started boiling the fuel again and the tune would be fine again. Right now I can start it up, and it runs the same as it would if it had been running for 3 hours. The engine performs the same and is not stupidly rich when the engine is cold. The idling down and dying im confident is not a carb issue. I can raise the idle, etc.. and make it stay running, but that way the idle is higher than i want it to be. Before it would idle high and run for about 20 seconds and die. Now it idles perfect for 20 seconds and then dies. The carb made a big difference. You dont have to believe me though. You are too brand loyal to those good old SH engines to even notice the issue.

Like I said. If you have a problem with me, then dont bother reading my posts. No skin off my back. You are always buddy buddy when i say something good about the losi, but then when i honestly have problems you act like im lying about it or something. I dont have a problem with you or your opinions; but when you come in here and tell me my pulling hobby is "stupid" and call my findings BS; well then i can tell you where to shove it!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

like i said for your fuel tank, i guess its bad luck ! lol
i never had a tranny problem in 3-4 years except a flanged bearing that failed.
people running 4,5,6s lipo doesnt either.
chasis flex, while the new era rollbar is suposed to help this, i never noticed flex problems on mine.
the way the stock fuel filter is positioned, it would clearly destroy the tank on the first big impact.
you can pull, you can bash the way you want, i dont have a problem with that.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:54 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cumminsdriver.... take the venturi out of the Picco carb...set the idle gap to .6 mm...then fire the engine up and set the LSN so the engine will idle...then progress to tune the HSN then after the engine/vehicle is heat saturated go back and return the LSN so it has a steady idle.... what your describing is textbook tuning around too much idle gap....it causes a slowly dropping idle that leads to a stall....

And yes Picco makes a better carb then SH does...no questions there..... the fanboys will go ballistic over me posting it, but I really don't care .......
Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 AM
cummins driver

Thanks Impala. I didnt come in here and do any brand bashing. Sometime you just get frustrated and want to vent, right? I have noticed very few people have this problem, so must just be my good luck.

Supertib- Ill try taking the venturi out and resetting the gap, but i dont really think thats the problem. I know what you mean about the idle gap, but i seriously have been from one extreme to the other trying to get this thing to idle good. It idles consistantly and then just dies without warning. Its not really a high idle that steadily goes down hill. It drops down to a perfect idle after a WOT run and at any point with it sitting there idling, it will take off like a banshee. But if you let it idle long enough it will be steadily idling, then just drop off and die within about 2-3 seconds. I will try taking the venturi out and retuning though. What would taking the venturi out do for me? I may get a video of what its doing right now and post it up. Of course i have to fix the transmission first. I consider myself a pretty darn good tuner to be honest, and this thing is performing flawlessly; it just wont sit and idle for a long time like my other engines will.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Thanks Impala. I didnt come in here and do any brand bashing. Sometime you just get frustrated and want to vent, right? I have noticed very few people have this problem, so must just be my good luck.

Supertib- Ill try taking the venturi out and resetting the gap, but i dont really think thats the problem. I know what you mean about the idle gap, but i seriously have been from one extreme to the other trying to get this thing to idle good. It idles consistantly and then just dies without warning. Its not really a high idle that steadily goes down hill. It drops down to a perfect idle after a WOT run and at any point with it sitting there idling, it will take off like a banshee. But if you let it idle long enough it will be steadily idling, then just drop off and die within about 2-3 seconds. I will try taking the venturi out and retuning though. What would taking the venturi out do for me? I may get a video of what its doing right now and post it up. Of course i have to fix the transmission first. I consider myself a pretty darn good tuner to be honest, and this thing is performing flawlessly; it just wont sit and idle for a long time like my other engines will.

Ahh..it just might be worn then...or have some interruption in the compression.....
Old 07-15-2011, 06:05 AM
cummins driver

Thats kinda what im thinking. It starts right back up though, so its not really like a worn piston/sleeve. Is it possible the plug need to be hotter? Its a medium plug but maybe it would idle better with a hot one? Its really not a huge issue because normal bashing it doesent need to idle over 20 seconds normally, but it just irks me i guess. Picco carb is way better than the stocker though. Very consistant running and no more boiling! I appreciate you helping me out with that
Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 AM
cummins driver

As for the gears i remember a while back it got hung between forward and reverse. I blipped the throttle a little too hard and it caught reverse when i did and jerked backwards pretty hard. Im thinking that could have cause the bevel gears to skip then and they just got worse until it finally gave up last night? Thats really the only thing i can think of. Id take reverse out, but i have found out i like reverse pretty well on this thing
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
cummins driver

Well, I have the thing running great again. Tranny gears are fixed and I bought an Associated Monster GT body and reamed holes for the Losi body posts. Looks absolutely awesome with the chrome 420 wheels and tires. Im letting my wife pull this truck and she managed to pull off the win with the little mach 427 powering its way past a 5.9(.36) Savage XL, and another Losi LST2 with a Novarossi .28. I had some setup issues out of my monster GT since im trying some new tires, so i hope to beat her next time, but i was very proud of her win and she was so excited to get a trophy

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaksYNV90k

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaksYNV90k
[/youtube]

And some pictures with the new body and weights out front[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1640072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68363.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1640073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12929.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1640074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78988.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1640075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23350.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1640076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri68623.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1640077  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

congrats to your wife !
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Well, I have the thing running great again. Tranny gears are fixed and I bought an Associated Monster GT body and reamed holes for the Losi body posts. Looks absolutely awesome with the chrome 420 wheels and tires. Im letting my wife pull this truck and she managed to pull off the win with the little mach 427 powering its way past a 5.9(.36) Savage XL, and another Losi LST2 with a Novarossi .28. I had some setup issues out of my monster GT since im trying some new tires, so i hope to beat her next time, but i was very proud of her win and she was so excited to get a trophy

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaksYNV90k

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaksYNV90k
[/youtube]

And some pictures with the new body and weights out front[8D]

way to go dude....

how is that Picco carby doing ?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
cummins driver

Thanks! Its doing awesome man No more boiling fuel, thats for sure Tune is very consistant. It was a few days before the pull that i had ran the truck. Fired it up when we got to the pull to make sure the tune was right and it was spot on. Didnt even have to make any adjustments, and now it runs the same cold or hot where as before you had to have it warmed up real good to run decent at all.