Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

See no alternative - have to go single-speed on my LST2 Track-truck

Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

See no alternative - have to go single-speed on my LST2 Track-truck

Old 08-20-2011, 03:27 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default See no alternative - have to go single-speed on my LST2 Track-truck

So, my second LST2 I had modded for the track, and it actually handles great - near truggy-like.. Muggy shocks, sway bars, wing, truggy tires, racer body - that's about it. Anyway, I had over the year or two I ran it TONS of 2-speed issues- so many that I finally gave up and hung the truck up for parts a while back. I've tried to sell the roller a few times, with no luck, and I'm not going to give it away(I'm in Germany, so don't ask to buy it in the States...)

Anyway, I have a ton of LST2 parts, and like having a low maintenance truck I can just throw on the track and not care if it it gets thrashed. Cheap Mach or Losi 454 in the thing, stock pipe, and off it goes. Thing is, I don't want to EVER hit the gas again and just have that engine rev with no movement. So I guess that means single-speed. I REALLY like having the shift, and don't like the idea of sacrificing all the low or top end a single-speed will entail, but I see no alternative. The 2-speed IMO just does NOT work with truggy tires. I went through three trannies and a good 3-4 complete 2-speed sets. And it ALWAYS f-ed up. My stock-wheeled basher LST2 has no issues.

Anyway, so what all is required to convert to single-speed? (cheaply and simply..)

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 AM
HerrSavage

Default RE: See no alternative - have to go single-speed on my LST2 Track-truck

Well, I threw the Big Red in out of my other LST2, and put on Losi Terra-Pins, and............................................... it runs flawlessly.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Every now and then I'll have that happen where you hit the gas and it doesn't move. I've found either the slipper clutch but is too loose or the glaze on the 2 speed shaft causes slippage. I haven't tried smaller tires on them yet though.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 AM
HerrSavage

Truggy tires were just a nightmare, almost always.. New tranny, new 2-speed, new clutch, checking grub screws, you name it.. It's a shame too - because it really would have been nice to be able to run on a track when I run buggy... I suppose I could go to single-speed some day, but right now I don't feel like investing even in that. It runs great with the Big Red and Terra Pins as is - just not for a track cuz the tires are too big and mushy..
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
nitrojimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to jack your thread, but how come you can't use that single speed hub meant for brushless trucks?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I did this with a nitro Revo that I converted to electric because I wanted reverse. Same principal. You just lock the second gear somehow. There is a centrifugal clutch that engages the second gear. Lock the gear to the centrifugal clutch with JB weld or a few small fasteners. Then, remove the first gear, and then adjust your 2nd gear spur/pinion ratio for best all around performance.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: nitrojimbo

I don't want to jack your thread, but how come you can't use that single speed hub meant for brushless trucks?
The LST Brushless conversion still uses the 2 speed transmission; at least the conversion offered by Losi anyways.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
HerrSavage

You must lose speed with a single speed conversion though...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

You must lose speed with a single speed conversion though...
Well, its a tradeoff. Low end torque v. speed. Something is gonna give with a single speed conversion. If you leave the 2nd speed gearing as is, you won't lose speed, your truck just won't have the same oomph from a dead stop. Conversely, if you regear to regain torque, you will lose top speed. That's why I say, figure out how fast you need to go and find a combo of pinion/spur that gives you a good compromise.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
HerrSavage

I'm not really willing to sacrifice one or the other. So I went and put Terra Pins on.. No good for the track, but the truck works like it should... Will wheelie if I want it to and lay on down low, and will wind out in 2nd nicely.., the way it should. In vids I've seen, even with modded OS 28's or whatever, single-speed nitro LST2's just don't cut it afaic. No top end.