Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Engine Options 2012?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Options 2012?

So I haven't even run my LST2 that much this year. The Big Red 28 in runs just fine too. Been browsing some online shops though, and see all these RB .28's I've never heard much about, and which are cheap..

Anybody run an RB or newer Novarossi .28 in their LST2?

I know, I know, I generally run LRP's - and the Big Red at the moment... Just wondering if any of these others are all that good..

If I do get another engine, it'd probably be an LRP 30. Just wondering about these RB's and Novas..

Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM
iexion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Engine Options 2012?

Don't quote me on this but I thought all the pros we're running RB engines. If its cheap why not?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RB has changed a lot in the last few years - lots of really cheap stuff from Asia. Some of the Asian stuff, like the K10/K11, is pretty good.. Some of them are so cheap though you have to wonder. They also have so many engines with so many names it's really hard to keep track... Especially 21's for buggies. Was surprised though to see they also have several .28's....
Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All the stock 28's are dogs....... they have the timing on the engines too low to make any serious power......These italian engine companies don't have much faith in the tuning skills of the MT crowd so they back the timing down to make the engines more forgiving to tune...... The engine designs are awesome, but they are detuned quite a bit from their full potential.....
Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
ARDV8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: supertib

All the stock 28's are dogs....... they have the timing on the engines too low to make any serious power......These italian engine companies don't have much faith in the tuning skills of the MT crowd so they back the timing down to make the engines more forgiving to tune...... The engine designs are awesome, but they are detuned quite a bit from their full potential.....
If you have the cash then ask Supertib about his Clockwork Picco 28 - I did, bought one, and seem to have a stupid grin on my face for days after running it. These engines are really well tuned, none of the bad things you normally associate with Nitro, just easy starting, nice tune, awesome power. I have an LRP 28, which as is known is a quick motor, but it is a snail compared to my Clockwork Picco
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Breaking in a new 454 I got really cheap, and really happy with my choice.. Only have four tanks through it, and during the last tank I was getting on the throttle a bit, and after shifting to second the truck started going out of control almost..(on pavement..) Very happy.. 89 bucks new..

If I were to get anything else for next year for my LST2's, it'd be an LRP 30. I'm comfortable with the LRP engines for bashing MT's - good price, easy to break in and tune, and if one blows up, no biggie - they're cheap.. I don't care about hopping my MT's up to the nines. Just want them to run and be uncomplicated, and for me the LRP's are perfect for that..

There are a bunch of the RB 28's going cheap here at the moment.. (as in 100 bucks..) But even then, I'm pretty decided - no need to stray from what I know does the job..

Just invested in a new buggy for racing anyway..

I'd be keen to see a vid of yours though..
Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM
ARDV8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Breaking in a new 454 I got really cheap, and really happy with my choice.. Only have four tanks through it, and during the last tank I was getting on the throttle a bit, and after shifting to second the truck started going out of control almost..(on pavement..) Very happy.. 89 bucks new..

If I were to get anything else for next year for my LST2's, it'd be an LRP 30. I'm comfortable with the LRP engines for bashing MT's - good price, easy to break in and tune, and if one blows up, no biggie - they're cheap.. I don't care about hopping my MT's up to the nines. Just want them to run and be uncomplicated, and for me the LRP's are perfect for that..

There are a bunch of the RB 28's going cheap here at the moment.. (as in 100 bucks..) But even then, I'm pretty decided - no need to stray from what I know does the job..

Just invested in a new buggy for racing anyway..

I'd be keen to see a vid of yours though..
No worries - I'll get a video of mine over Christmas, got another with the LRP 28 in so will be able to see them running together - both are fine engines, but the Picco is better, but then again it costs more. I had the cash from a couple of sales so stuck my neck out and bought one, for me it was a good choice, and does give unrivaled power, however, if I hadn't my LRP would have done me fine
Old 12-24-2011, 05:01 PM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the lrp 30 in a savage x and am very happy with the engine, broke in beautifully, lots of power, easy to tune, but theres a hiccup to this engine. it seems to load up with fuel during idling, if it idles for any length of time it fills the bottom end with fuel. once you clear that fuel out its so crisp and powerful outta the hole the lsn must be set right. but any idling starts to fill the bottom end with fuel again. other than that, i love the engine. Its quite an improvement over the f4.6, allthough my f engine can idle all day long. I am considering getting a full mod picco 28 for my revo from niel. Its up in the air. From what i have heard they tune beautifully, break in easily (hand lapped piston) and loads of power. not too concerned about the driveline as 1. I like repairing as much as driving and 2. the driveline handles the mmm in the erevo albiet the trans differences. -scott
Old 12-25-2011, 06:43 AM
ARDV8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: steed2

I have the lrp 30 in a savage x and am very happy with the engine, broke in beautifully, lots of power, easy to tune, but theres a hiccup to this engine. it seems to load up with fuel during idling, if it idles for any length of time it fills the bottom end with fuel. once you clear that fuel out its so crisp and powerful outta the hole the lsn must be set right. but any idling starts to fill the bottom end with fuel again. other than that, i love the engine. Its quite an improvement over the f4.6, allthough my f engine can idle all day long. I am considering getting a full mod picco 28 for my revo from niel. Its up in the air. From what i have heard they tune beautifully, break in easily (hand lapped piston) and loads of power. not too concerned about the driveline as 1. I like repairing as much as driving and 2. the driveline handles the mmm in the erevo albiet the trans differences. -scott
Check all of your fuel lines for cracks, and make sure they are seating well on the connections. Also check your fuel tank for cracks, your clutch for proper alignment as well
Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 PM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks bud, will give it a once over. cheers
Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not in the market for a car engine just yet.. None of mine are wore out yet, though I have thought about putting my ported Mach 427 in the Jato after I run it some on a stock 3.3. If that happens, I'll be shopping for a new .26 or .28 for the LST2. I've been happy with my SH based engines performance, but after dealing with some Italian made Super Tigre aero engines, I'm considering an Italian car engine this time. The fit and finish on those engines is superb, and they run very well. I will not buy anything OS, or Axial. Just my personal preference.

Are there any Italian manufacturers other than Picco that are highly regarded and perform well? I don't race, so I dont worry about fuel economy or anything like that. Just brute snort for bashing at the park and whatnot.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

that is the issue I found too with the non insulated carbs.... to make them run decent the low end needs to be set very rich...so rich in fact that it wont idle very well...if you try to tune for a good idle when sitting the engine will be far too lean to run properly...no matter what you do you will struggle to find a sweet spot in the tune...myself I could not get my 30 to tune properly which is a big reason why I am not a fan of the engine....
Old 12-26-2011, 12:40 PM
ARDV8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:

that is the issue I found too with the non insulated carbs.... to make them run decent the low end needs to be set very rich...so rich in fact that it wont idle very well...if you try to tune for a good idle when sitting the engine will be far too lean to run properly...no matter what you do you will struggle to find a sweet spot in the tune...myself I could not get my 30 to tune properly which is a big reason why I am not a fan of the engine....
Hey Neil - did you receive my PM?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

The Nova 28-7 is the one you will want....OFNA has pretty much stopped bringing in the Picco 28's.... So we decided to put some time into the Nova 28-7 and I can say we couldn't be happier...... The Nova does cost a little more then the Picco, but it is the nicer of the two engines by a fair margin...... Build quality/fit and finish is superior on the Nova, the Nova also has a much nicer carb and is extremely easy to tune...little details like a o-ring in the backplate to seal the OWB shaft, included turbo head, included multi angle roto backplate, 4 included venturi's, included turbo plug, included roto wand......The Picco is a standard head, pullstart, no plug included...to upgrade the Picco to turbo head and roto plus buying a glowplug puts you right at the price of the Nova anyways .......... Performance wise both have the same hard hitting bottom end, both have killer midrange, but on the topside the Nova tears the ass off the Picco.....This engine is a real speed monster, when we run it in truggy it even kills my 2.5 HP mod OS 28 , the OS has great pop, but just can't match the revs of the Nova.............In the end tho what really sets the Nova apart from everything else is how easily it tunes...They are ridiculously forgiving to tune....
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ARDV8

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I did ! I was there already ! How is your 28 doing ? getting smoked by any LRP 30's ? LOL J/K
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, i am heading to your site to look at this nova. thanks again. I will be buying an engine from you, guaranteed, my only issue right now, is finding an engine mount as of current new era isnt showing any stock. once i find one, ill be ordering an engine. thanks again for the advise. oh, what about replacement parts availability?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

ok, i am heading to your site to look at this nova. thanks again. I will be buying an engine from you, guaranteed, my only issue right now, is finding an engine mount as of current new era isnt showing any stock. once i find one, ill be ordering an engine. thanks again for the advise. oh, what about replacement parts availability?

I can get you a M2C mount maybe.... I might even have one
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, so i checked out the engine, its not cheap but i own a transmission shop, so i completely understand "you pay for what you get". Neal, if it was you what would you put in the revo, a nova 28 or your nova 21?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

ok, so i checked out the engine, its not cheap but i own a transmission shop, so i completely understand ''you pay for what you get''. Neal, if it was you what would you put in the revo, a nova 28 or your nova 21?

Well the the Revo would be absolutely wicked with the .28 but i fear it may be pushing the drivetrain pretty hard ( tho today's Revo can run 6S apparently )...A modified quality .21 would really fly and would be better mated to the drivetrain of the truck....These modified Nova .21's are nasty powerful with a big RPM range...you wouldn't need to run toio tall of a gear and would still get crazy top speed, plus crazy bottom end.....Myself i would probably run a .21 like a Bonito or a P5XLT....tho of course I would also run the .28 just to see, but its easy when you own both engines....But if i were to choose one it would be the .21......in a light machine like a Revo a mod .21 is going to be bananas as it is....
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
ARDV8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ARDV8

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I did ! I was there already ! How is your 28 doing ? getting smoked by any LRP 30's ? LOL J/K

I get smoked by pretty much everything, until I fire it up then for some reason nothing over this side of the pond I have encountered seems to be able to keep up. Took a race with a street car, it was faster top end only because I reached the limits of the gears in the LST, but until that time it lead lol

BUT - quite concerned to read your comments about the Nova 28-7, looks like now my Picco is not the kick ass motor it was compared to the Nova 28-7, but as my LST is pretty much just about controllable with the Picco, the Nova 28-7 must be running methanol lol
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok. sounds good. i really want to go with the new era kit as you can still run a pull starter. let me source one and decide on the 28 vs 21. ill be in touch.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

ok. sounds good. i really want to go with the new era kit as you can still run a pull starter. let me source one and decide on the 28 vs 21. ill be in touch.

No race .21 is pullstart...... .28 is your only option......I dont even know what kind of pipe you can use on that kit.....it mounts the engine really goofy in the truck...if it was me I would use a bumpstart not a pullstart....I Am not a fan of the New Era Kit, it makes the linkages way too goofy for me to want to work with...
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok i see what you mean. i agree on the linkages too. they look very weak.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

ok i see what you mean. i agree on the linkages too. they look very weak.

I have seen a couple of those New Era kits in person and they all looked and functioned poorly....it really looks ghetto rigged when you see it live....the pipe doesn't fit nice, the linkages don't fit nice, and the engine just looks silly all jacked up and tilted over.....
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Woo-hoo... Took my Big Red-LST2 out today, and managed to get it started at about 4 degrees C... The engine was absolutely ripping.. OK, a bit lean at first with the cold air.., but I richened it, and with temps at about 245F, it was really ripping...

Til I lost a steering servo and smacked a metal fence.. Broken A-arm, etc.. [X(]

Engine was awesome though.. Starting to think I'd underrated it.. Maybe it just took more fuel to get through it.. Probably at two gallons or so, and it's going really well...

Search this Thread