Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

losi aftershock questions

Old 11-05-2011, 09:41 PM
noobie974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default losi aftershock questions

Thinking of geting a Aftershock ive been reading thru the fourm and wanna confirm some info. and i know some will say go after the xxl but almost 700 out of the question

My questions are i know shock it has some flaws like the 2speed and the pipe to name a few.
but i was wondering if i got it could i just put the xxl 2speed assembly and pop her on or do i need the whole transmission. and i see the xxl chassis on ebay for 10bucks could i just buy that and getlongercenter drive shafts then just bolt everything else to it?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: losi aftershock questions

Yes to all your questions - you can buy that stuff from ebay and bolt it on..

IMHO I would forget about the XXL chassis.. It doesn't bring much - just makes it a tad longer. Better ways to spend your money.. The XXL transmission has reverse, and a better gear ratio for more speed..

And FYI, the XXL can be had for under $600 at overdriverc.com ... That too is a lot of money I know, but you really do have top-notch stuff right away, so that six months down the road, you may well have ended up spending more upgrading your Aftershock than if you had just gotten an XXL right away.

The AS btw also has 14mm hexes I believe, MUCH thinner arms and driveshafts, etc..
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM
noobie974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

from what i can tell there drive systems are the same other then the transmission and the arms id just buy rpm
Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, there's quite a bit more to it than that. The cups, the shafts, the carriers and C-hubs - all beefier with the LST2.. Look up the LST2 upgrade kit and look at how much is there...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree with hersavage here, this is kinda like buying used, Were you end up putting more into the used rc than it was worth new. i own the aftershock and its a decent truck but there is a reason for the price compared to the xxl. do some homework, price the aftershock, add the extended chassis, lst2 upgrade kit, and a more powerfull engine like the lrp 28. then compare that to the xxl price. (the xxl comes with the lrp 28) on top of all that the radio gear that comes with the xxl was worth 250-300 2 years ago when i bought it for my savages. if you do go for the aftershock, i would recomend grabbing a better pipe, and run a separate servo for the brakes. i am a die-hard savage fan, and they are my favourite trucks but i will say even the aftershock (being losi's bottom line mt) handles way better than the savage. for the money its a good truck. also i think you can get a different head button for the m26 engine, but not sure. cheers and happy shopping.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: steed2

I have to agree with hersavage here, this is kinda like buying used, Were you end up putting more into the used rc than it was worth new. i own the aftershock and its a decent truck but there is a reason for the price compared to the xxl. do some homework, price the aftershock, add the extended chassis, lst2 upgrade kit, and a more powerfull engine like the lrp 28. then compare that to the xxl price. (the xxl comes with the lrp 28) on top of all that the radio gear that comes with the xxl was worth 250-300 2 years ago when i bought it for my savages. if you do go for the aftershock, i would recomend grabbing a better pipe, and run a separate servo for the brakes. i am a die-hard savage fan, and they are my favourite trucks but i will say even the aftershock (being losi's bottom line mt) handles way better than the savage. for the money its a good truck. also i think you can get a different head button for the m26 engine, but not sure. cheers and happy shopping.
The stock servos are not real strong, though its not necessary to run a seperate servo for the brakes. The brakes work very well with a good 80oz in servo. I changed out the metal brake pads for the high performance LST2 brake pads which made a huge difference in noise and stopping power over the stock parts using the stock servo. I had an Aftershock, paid $350 new for it, added in the LST2 upgrade kit for $125 and a set of Big Joes and I had an LST2 with decent power for about $140 less than a new LST2 costed. The M26SS uses a high compression head button, the same one the Teal 427 uses. Being a 3 port engine, its mainly aimed for better low end vs. a 6 port engine though a port job really woke it up. I was very happy with the M26SS engine, once I ditched the stock pipe in favor of an HT pipe.

For the price, its a good entry level 1/8th scale MT. Is it as tough as an LST2 or XXL? No. Will it bash good? Yes, IMO. I had a lot of fun with it, and it was a lot faster than I thought it would be. The axles, arms, C hubs are a good bit beefier than the LST/AFT parts. The LST2 upgrade kit came with new chassis rails, though my AFT came with the same identical rails so I never changed mine out.

Muggy suspension makes an LST handle like a dream, too. 100% better than the LST2/XXL suspension arrangement, IMO.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
noobie974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i can get this for 300 NIB+shiping

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSB0015

would it be worth looking into over the aftershock? are parts interchangeable and is there in any problems with the older models

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Muskokarc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can get it for the price it would be worth going for.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:39 AM
noobie974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

anyone?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can get a NIB LST2 for $300, you better grab it. That's a hot price for one. My LHS used to sell them for $619, but since the xxl came out they dropped the price to $519.

I have 2 lst2s and I love em. I chucked reverse and low range though.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Absolutely.. Get it..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM
noobie974