Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Losi XXL - you give me a reason to keep on going...

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Losi XXL - you give me a reason to keep on going...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi XXL - you give me a reason to keep on going...

So, I, a once staunch nitro guy, am on the borderline of just hanging up my nitro hat. After running 5th scale and brushless now for a while, the appeal of nitro just isn't as grand as it once was to me. My nitro fleet is down from about 10 cars/trucks to now 3.

However, the XXL has convinced me to keep at least one nitro MT. I just bought a used XXL and had no idea of its condition although it looked fairly clean. I broke one of my cardinal rules and just decided to run it without first taking it apart and rebuilding it. I just put fuel in it and just drove it unrelentingly. I beat the tar out of it. It should have broken. I only had to touch the HSN one time because it was slightly lean. I ran tank after tank after tank with bad landing after bad landing and 0 issues. The thing would cartwheel 5 times, and still no broken parts! The power was amazing and the engine isn't fussy.

The truck pulled like a monster, it was planted, it jumped good and gave me a super fun time. So, with a product this good, it keeps me interested in nitro. I have run Savages, Maxxes, LSTs and a bunch more and I can honestly say that this is probably the best nitro MT I have ever driven. I have never driven a Nitro MT this solid out of the box.

So, thank you XXL for keeping the nitro flame alive for me.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Losi XXL - you give me a reason to keep on going...

I know how you feel...
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Nytro97
My Feedback: (2)

I second the motion...........
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

+1
Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

So, I, a once staunch nitro guy, am on the borderline of just hanging up my nitro hat. After running 5th scale and brushless now for a while, the appeal of nitro just isn't as grand as it once was to me. My nitro fleet is down from about 10 cars/trucks to now 3.

However, the XXL has convinced me to keep at least one nitro MT. I just bought a used XXL and had no idea of its condition although it looked fairly clean. I broke one of my cardinal rules and just decided to run it without first taking it apart and rebuilding it. I just put fuel in it and just drove it unrelentingly. I beat the tar out of it. It should have broken. I only had to touch the HSN one time because it was slightly lean. I ran tank after tank after tank with bad landing after bad landing and 0 issues. The thing would cartwheel 5 times, and still no broken parts! The power was amazing and the engine isn't fussy.

The truck pulled like a monster, it was planted, it jumped good and gave me a super fun time. So, with a product this good, it keeps me interested in nitro. I have run Savages, Maxxes, LSTs and a bunch more and I can honestly say that this is probably the best nitro MT I have ever driven. I have never driven a Nitro MT this solid out of the box.

So, thank you XXL for keeping the nitro flame alive for me.
Your not the only one who feels this way. The XXL is without question the best hands down of the 1/8th scale nitro trucks.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
HerrSavage

Took my LST2 basher out for a couple tanks yesterday. Man it was awesome. Been spending a lot more time with the truggy, buggy, SC8 and DM-1 these last couple years..., so have been neglecting the big guy.., but it was awesome how my 4-year old LST2 just fired up and ran like a champ.. Realy fun too driving something with those huge ole' stock wheels and tires compared to all those tiny buggy and DM-1 tires.. Poor old guy is due for an overhaul - mostly due to slop in the steering.. But d.amn this thing just keeps going. I think the 2-speed is even original - as are the tires, diffs, cups, even all the wheel bearings..

The Big Red .28 is a nice cheap engine. Not overly powerful, but plenty powerful. Could maybe tighten the slipper for more oomph from a standstill, but I mostly run it loose-ish for jumping. I love the sound of an LST2 flat out on pavement. Those huge wheels start building up a freight-train kind of momentum.., so it takes a long time to top out, and when it does, it's hauling ass and is something you definitely don't want to have run into your leg... Sounds cool too with the screaming engines and tires..

What a d.amn good RC.

Also fun to just drive around here and there on a whim on pavement and in a field, over some bumps and jumps when and how you feel like it, without the constraints of a track. Had people stopping to take pics and several wide-eyed kids just watching with their mouths open.. Maybe I should take it out for a major thrash before the summer's over, and then give it some TLC over the winter... Already have all the parts I need.. They've been sitting in a drawer for like 3-4 years ha ha..
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
art2010

ive ran many mts although i do favor the tmaxx just because of parts. but i got 2 xxls on trade and well love at first sight. right now im building a mt with a 42cc chainsaw motor and the other one i have a axial .32 in it runs like a bad out of hell..moral of the story the tmaxx is in the closet now only run xxl
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a Losi xxl rant, but I feel that way about my Tower Terror, just beat it and beat it and it comes back unscathed. Let her sit all winter, put some nitro fuel in hit the roto start and off we go. My Lst I love it two but don't run it as much, probably because it it was one of my highest priced trucks and i dumped a load of money in upgrades into it except for the motor mount. The cheap trucks I don't mind beating on. I put all mip drive line on it, rpm arms, a SH .28, aluminum diff cases on before ever running it. I also have a old gs storm truggy that loves to take a beating, so far the only thing that stopped it was a wall. Another truck I really love is Tamiya Tnx Monster! Dam Tamiya for stop making this beast of a monster. This truck is awesome, starts great is really quick for a .18.

Unfortunately my collection is becoming antique like me. My collection is around 24 nitros and one gas. That includes a baja 5b, 8 monsters, 5 truggies, 2 buggies, 6 sedans, 2 stadium trucks, and a jato. I went to swap meets to sell some off but people wanted brand new vehicles for nothing which many of them are. I said to myself I will let them rot! Probably not the smartest idea.

What would I like now? a 4 wheel drive sc truck for indoor racing and a electric savage, the hp flux or other one. Start up cost of the truck and a charger and battery packs stops me. Another sign your getting older, when you consider what you need first instead of what you want.

Glad to hear people are really enjoying their xxl's though. Live hard and have fun!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

The XXL is a pretty nice looking truck. If I ever get another 1/8 Monster, that will be it.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
HerrSavage

Recently picked up a new 454 engine cheap, primarily for my Ofna DM-1. But for whatever reasons I decided to break it in in my currently engine-less basher LST2.. While mounting everything up I noticed a huge amount of play in the XXL transmission. It's got a good cm of play in the tranny shaft..(you can pull it in and out..) The steering too..

Anyway, pre-heated before the first start-up just now, and so far break-in has been a piece of cake. Truck still handles like a dream. I'm pretty sure I've never changed the wheel bearings since I got it new - five years ago.. Just doing some back-and-forth boring break-in runs, this truck is still fun, and handles great.. Once again, great truck.. And I still can't believe it's still going.. You know you like nitro when you can still have fun breaking in a beat-up 5-year old basher MT going back and forth for short 1/4 throttle blips ha ha...

Is anybody else still running their nitro LST2/XXL/Aftershock or whatever? I know it's winter(except for you antipodeans..), but... Today was - unusually - 10C, so I decided to go for it and get break-in started so I can run the DM-1 indoor sometime soon.. I might just leave the 454 in though for a "few" more tanks ha ha...

(Yeah yeah, I know the cooling head is sideways, but I thought, hey, it's only for break-in... Will change if I keep it in this truck much beyond 3-4 tanks..)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I sold my XXL to a friend and missed it so much that I got another one tonight. Whenever I go all electric, I miss nitro after a while. I guess I will always need to keep a nitro in the stable, at least until 1/8 gas comes around (HPI '12).
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM
mechanike

hey art2010 if your needing any chainsaw or part i have 40cc/42cc/46cc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,