Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 Steering Servo Question

Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
  #1
HerrSavage
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LST2 Steering Servo Question

Had a steering servo go, and since I only have two High Torque Losi servos (supposedly the XXL and 8T 2.0 RTR steering servos) as spares, I went in to change both..

But they don't fit!! Huge battle getting them in there, dremelling crap, breaking the receiver antenna, etc.. and they don't even line up!! ***? I thought these were JR's just like the 590's (thought they were Losi-labeled JR650's..)and assumed they'd drop right in....

Help?...
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 AM
  #2
Muskokarc
 
Muskokarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Huntsville, ON, CANADA
Posts: 490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

In what way are they not lining up??
Muskokarc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
  #3
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,011
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question


Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Had a steering servo go, and since I only have two High Torque Losi servos (supposedly the XXL and 8T 2.0 RTR steering servos) as spares, I went in to change both..

But they don't fit!! Huge battle getting them in there, dremelling crap, breaking the receiver antenna, etc.. and they don't even line up!! ***? I thought these were JR's just like the 590's (thought they were Losi-labeled JR650's..)and assumed they'd drop right in....

Help?...
Unless you have a very early chassis plate, or if the tooling was dull that punched the servo holes out, they might be a tight fit. I use Hitec HS645MG servos in one of my LST2's and they fit the holes fine, but I find it easier to install them with the top of the servo case removed and reinstalled in the truck. The 645MG servos measure 1.59"x.77"x1.48" whereas the JR Z650 servo measures 1.55"x.73"x1.46".. By rights, the JR/Losi's should fit easier (and maybe without disassembly) than the 645mg's.

The steering bellcranks kind of get in the way of the servo install, so I pull the pins and push the bellcranks out of the way. I had to dremel one of the belcranks to clear the servo case on one side, but not much.

I'm surprised yours dont fit. Other than pulling the servo apart, I didnt find it very troubling to get the 645's in.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 AM
  #4
HerrSavage
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

I finally got them in, but now the servo arm doesn't line up right. These new servos sit higher or something..
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 AM
  #5
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,011
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I finally got them in, but now the servo arm doesn't line up right. These new servos sit higher or something..
Getting them in is 3/4 of the battle. Readjusting all of the steering linkages is the annoying part. I originally thought it to be a bit off that the steering servos are angled down in the front. I couldn't figure out why they sat funny when I installed them until I looked at the other LST2 I have and the mounts themselves.

Could you snap a picture of the servo horns not lining up? I'm curious as to how your truck is set up with those servos.

1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 AM
  #6
HerrSavage
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

F' it.. Just gonna' pick up another Z590.. Found two on a local forum for 20 bucks...

Just wish I would have known beforehand.. I think I left chunks of skin hanging up in there..
HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 PM
  #7
HerrSavage
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Irgendwo, GERMANY
Posts: 10,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

So, here's a pic.. You kind kind of see the THREE problems with how they line up:



1.) The arm from servo arm down to bell-crank is at an angle. I lengthened the arm a few turns to reduce the strain. Still, it's at an angle, probably unhealthy for the link on the servo arm itself.

2.) I had to dremel the bell crank arms to clear the servo deck... Barely..

3.) The links on the servo arms just barely fit under the front (heavy duty) skid plate.. Filed them down, they should fit now..

Anyway, I've just bought two Z590's, but honestly, after the enormous hassle of getting these new servos in there, I think I might just take my chances...

Anybody got any suggestions for how to improve those chances before I put it all back together?....

I think the main issue is the angle of the arm from servo to bell crank... I could I suppose file down the rear plastic servo mount and thereby reduce the slanted angle at which the servo sits....

HerrSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 AM
  #8
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,011
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question


Quote:
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

So, here's a pic.. You kind kind of see the THREE problems with how they line up:



1.) The arm from servo arm down to bell-crank is at an angle. I lengthened the arm a few turns to reduce the strain. Still, it's at an angle, probably unhealthy for the link on the servo arm itself.

2.) I had to dremel the bell crank arms to clear the servo deck... Barely..

3.) The links on the servo arms just barely fit under the front (heavy duty) skid plate.. Filed them down, they should fit now..

Anyway, I've just bought two Z590's, but honestly, after the enormous hassle of getting these new servos in there, I think I might just take my chances...

Anybody got any suggestions for how to improve those chances before I put it all back together?....

I think the main issue is the angle of the arm from servo to bell crank... I could I suppose file down the rear plastic servo mount and thereby reduce the slanted angle at which the servo sits....

From looking at your picture, I see you installed the rubber isolators and brass spacer rings. My original LST2 didnt have them installed on the Z590 servos, so I didnt install them when I put the 645MGs in the other one. That will drop the servo "down" giving you more space between the servos and the front skid plate, and may change the angle on the servo linkages.

I dont recall if my linkages were angled like yours are, but like I said... I didnt use the isolators. I'll pull my front skid plate off and post a picture of my 645's and the linkages.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:22 AM
  #9
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,011
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LST2 Steering Servo Question

Here are 3 pics of my servo/linkage install, with only the front skid plate removed. My linkages look to be at more of an angle than yours, but without the spacers installed, the height and angle of the servo seem to be correct. I didnt have any binding when I put it in, I just had a tricky time getting the control horns lined up perfectly straight since the truck was built completely from spare parts.

I had to shave the bellcrank down a little on the one side as well, to clear the servo case. I didnt need to take much off - no biggie. The case of the 645 is just a little bit taller than the 590/650's..

These pics are 800x600.. If they're too big, let me know and I'll resize them.




1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:09 AM.