Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Flywheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM
dsmgfb5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel Question

What is the exact purpose of the flywheel? If I wanted to take my 454 engine out of my LST XXL and put it in my Savage X, would I have to change the flywheel.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flywheel Question

Flywheel does two things. First and most obvious (when you take things apart) is its where the clutch shoes and springs mount to. Second is the flywheel adds weight to the crankshaft which is beneficial in some ways and not so much in others.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
dsmgfb5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I were to take my 454 engine out of my LST XXL and put in my Savage X, would I have to change the flywheel on the 454 engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry forgot to answer that part. Yes you'd have to put the savage flywheel and savage clutch assembly and clutchbell onto the 454 to run it in the savage. LST flywheel is very different and more compact. If you put a savage or other 1/8 clutchbell on, it wouldn't line up with the spur gear. Using the LST clutchbell in a savage isn't an option due to the 2 speed gears on it. Bottom line, take off the LST flywheel and clutch parts and replace with savage parts. But first I would see if the roto start of the 454 is accessible when mounted in the savage.