Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Converting My Losi LST2 To Electric - On The Cheap

Old 08-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Tommygunn792

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Converting My Losi LST2 To Electric - On The Cheap

I'm after some advice for converting my LST2 to electric. Essentially I want to keep the speed the same as what it is with the Mach engine so I need some yay or nays on my choice of componentry.
I'm doing this on the cheap so no Castle Creations and that sort of thing.

Hobbyking 150A ESC
Turnigy Trackstar 1/8th Sensored Motor 1900Kv
Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 4S 65~130C Lipo Pack
5 Pairs of EC5 Connectors
Hobby King HKSS programming card for HK 150A ESC
25T/5mm 48 Pitch Hardened Steel Pinion Gear

My questions are:
1) Is the combination of the motor Kv, pinion and 4S battery sufficient to equal the performance of the LST2 when fitted with the Mach engine?
2) Are the size of the EC5 connectors able to handle the power?
3) What wiring should go between the components i.e. ESC to motor? I have some 12awg, sufficient?
4) Is it true that the motor, which is 4 pole, will work with the ESC as long as I do not use the sensor lead. It states the ESC will be damaged if used with this 4 pole motor.
5) Should I just go with one of their ready to go 150A combos?

Any other views/opinions?

Thanks,
Tom.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1) Is the combination of the motor Kv, pinion and 4S battery sufficient to equal the performance of the LST2 when fitted with the Mach engine?
No, this combination won't yield performance similar performance to the nitro version. The top speed will only be about 32mph.
2) Are the size of the EC5 connectors able to handle the power?
Yes the EC5 connectors are big enough. I find them a little hard to separate as they kinda lock in. I prefer Traxxas but use what you're comfortable with.
3) What wiring should go between the components i.e. ESC to motor? I have some 12awg, sufficient?
I believe Castle uses 10awg but 12awg should be ok.
4) Is it true that the motor, which is 4 pole, will work with the ESC as long as I do not use the sensor lead. It states the ESC will be damaged if used with this 4 pole motor.
I have no idea but if the esc manufacturer says don't use this motor I wouldn't use it period. Some people rave about Trackstar, I however keep seeing posts about them running hot. The LST2 is a heavy truck that will heat up a motor more, and you get what you pay for. If it was me I'd spend a little more for a Hobbywing 1800kv combo or at least a Leopard motor.
5) Should I just go with one of their ready to go 150A combos?
I'd forget Trackstar and go Hobbywing 1800kv combo or Hobbywing esc and Leopard motor on 5s.
Any other views/opinions?

The LST2 uses mod1 pitch gears not 48p like you listed for the pinion. I also need some more details to help work out the gearing. What size diameter tires are you running? Any mods to the transmission like the "gear flip"? Are you going to use the Losi conversion kit, RC-Monster, TDR or make your own motor mount?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hobbyking esc's have always been hit or miss, usually more miss. I read on the site they are 2 pole only, no 4 pole motors. That really sucks as 4 pole has more torque and greater efficiency. A 2 pole just can't push a big heavy truck like the LST around very well. I know they are more money but a. Hobbywing combo is about $200 vs about $150 for what you linked which would be marginal in a LST. I've seen more than one person with a Hobbywing 1800kv combo in their LST that were very happy with the results.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Tommygunn792

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maj_Overdrive,
Thanks for your input.
Concerning the Kv, pinion and batteries I'll tweak things a bit using the RC Speed Calculator.

I think I will go with a combo and this ONE seems quite promising and is apparently a Hobbywing rebrand.

I have the gearbox FOC'd in the standard configuration and I think I will go with an RC Monster mount, TD racing second.

Tom.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That new esc/motor combo does appear to be a Hobbywing rebrand based on looks and specs. Either way it's way better than the other 2 pole Hobbyking esc, and Trackstar motor. For gearing I would start out 40-45mph max top speed with tire ballooning factored in for untaped tires. 4s will pretty match or be a bit quicker than nitro. If you want more top speed than 40-45mph I'd consider going 5s or 6s as the extra voltage will help the motor and esc stay a little cooler.

RC-Monster makes some nice products, no LST mount but I have some other mounts and stuff. Glad to hear you're not going with the Losi kit though as it's gearing limited. The RC-Monster and TDR mount will give you way more gearing options.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 AM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this thread is a few months old, but I've recently started thinking about converting my LST2 to electric (rather than selling it), but I'm having a hard time finding current information on what all I need to do the conversion. Any information that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Beardking
Old 12-29-2014, 11:12 AM
collector1231

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got a whole setup for you, if that works. Lol.

Motor Mount; http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...ershock&cat=41
Motor; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...rushless-motor
ESC; http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Truck_ESC.html
Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug
Single Speed; http://www.tdracingrc.com/TD%20Product%20Line.htm
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know you like to plug Atomik products every chance you get because you're sponsored by them or something but your motor selection is way off, Atomik doesn't make a motor appropriate for a 1/8 let alone a 1/8 MT. That motor you linked is a 550 size 4400kv, the specs clearly list 2s max and 1/10 4x4 SCT is max size vehicle for even the best 550 4 pole motors. But you recommend it for a vehicle more than twice the weight of a SCT and to run it on 4s. Not to mention there's no way you could gear down enough for 4400kv on 4s. I know there are people running 120amp esc's in Emaxx's and Revo's but the LST is a heavier vehicle, I wouldn't take a chance with a 120amp.

The RC-Monster motor mount is a nice mount and they also have battery trays and pinions for a total cost of about $80 plus shipping last time I checked. The battery tray you want is the "50x150mm 1 piece" as it has a step on the bottom to clear the chassis brace up front. http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...ttery+Tray+Kit

For a motor, get a real 1/8 scale 40-42mm diameter 74mm or longer 4 pole motor with 1800-2200kv for 4s use. If you want more help picking a motor just ask. I can also give you gearing advice if I know your tire size.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:32 PM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post
For a motor, get a real 1/8 scale 40-42mm diameter 74mm or longer 4 pole motor with 1800-2200kv for 4s use. If you want more help picking a motor just ask. I can also give you gearing advice if I know your tire size.
I'm wanting to set this up just to bash around with, no racing for me, so would the 2nd HobbyKing setup linked to by Tommygunn792 be sufficient for something like that?

As for the tire size, I'm not sure what I have on there currently. I bought them a couple of years ago and have LONG since forgot what I did. :-) I do have a picture, if that'll help any at all. :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-29 12.55.07.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2058740  
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=39817

I assume you mean this combo? Yes this would be a good combo for 4s on the LST. Thanks for the picture, I know those tires because I have the same ones on my LST XXL. I love Proline Trenchers. With those tires, 2000kv on 4s, I'd recommend 27t pinion, 63t spur gearing to start. You'll be right around 40mph, temps should be fine and if they are you can always go up from there.

The mount, battery tray and pinion you can get at RC-Monster. TDracing is the only place I know of that has the single speed hub, Losi discontinued theirs. You could also lock it into 2nd gear a couple different ways for the price of a couple screws or some JB weld.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 PM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, that is the kit that I was talking about. Thank you for the information. Now I just need to find a step by step walk through so I can figure out how to do all of this. :-)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's really not hard to convert a vehicle these days. Most of the parts listed are all bolt ons, just remove the old and bolt on the new. It's nothing like the old days where I and others were making their own mounts and battery trays. I still do make my own stuff for the fun and uniqueness at times though.

The only one that isn't a bolt on is the battery tray and it's simple as well. Remove the brake and reverse servos as well as the plastic servo mounts. Position the battery tray in their place with the step over the chassis brace. You'll use the existing holes in the chassis to attach the tray, the hard part is reaching underneath and marking the holes while keeping the tray in place. Some tape can help you with that. Use a 1/8 drill bit to drill the holes, use the old servo screws to mount the tray to the chassis and that's done.

The only other semi complicated part is the single speed. For that you might want to refer to the LST instruction manual. But even that's just a matter of removing the old 2 speed, transferring the 2nd gear spur onto the single speed hub and reassembling with the new single speed hub and its spacer instead of the old 2 speed.

Besides you can always ask questions here or even pm me if you want. I've converted 3 LST trucks so far, well 5 if you count the 2 that I totally changed around from their initial conversion. I'll tell you the trucks are great fun but I like MT's and 1/8 brushless power so in biased. It can get pricey so if you're just curious about brushless you might want to experiment with smaller than 1/8 if you're just trying to see if you like it.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:53 PM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the main reasons I've been considering converting the LST to electric is because I've always really liked this truck. I prefer the bigger size RC's (I REALLY want to get a 1/5 scale, but I go in and out of hobbies too much to spend that much right now :-) ). But, if I do the conversion, I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible, you know, because of that going in and out of hobbies thing. That's why I'm looking at the HobbyKing stuff rather than looking at the more expense, proven stuff.

A couple more questions, you mentioned a 27t pinion / 63t spur combo. All I'm finding available on RC Monster is a 26t or 28t pinion gear. Would it make a huge difference if I went with either of those? And would I need a different spur gear if I did?

As you might be able to tell, I'm not all that up on a lot of this stuff. While I've had a few rc cars (LST, Savage, Losi XXX-T, Mini-T), I've mostly kept them stock, so I've failed to learn all of the ins and outs of this stuff. :-)

Again, thanks in advance,
Beardking
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, is this a viable alternative to the TD Racing single speed conversion? HERE
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM
collector1231

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post
I know you like to plug Atomik products every chance you get because you're sponsored by them or something but your motor selection is way off, Atomik doesn't make a motor appropriate for a 1/8 let alone a 1/8 MT. That motor you linked is a 550 size 4400kv, the specs clearly list 2s max and 1/10 4x4 SCT is max size vehicle for even the best 550 4 pole motors. But you recommend it for a vehicle more than twice the weight of a SCT and to run it on 4s. Not to mention there's no way you could gear down enough for 4400kv on 4s. I know there are people running 120amp esc's in Emaxx's and Revo's but the LST is a heavier vehicle, I wouldn't take a chance with a 120amp.

The RC-Monster motor mount is a nice mount and they also have battery trays and pinions for a total cost of about $80 plus shipping last time I checked. The battery tray you want is the "50x150mm 1 piece" as it has a step on the bottom to clear the chassis brace up front. http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...ttery+Tray+Kit

Only reason I recommended the Atomik motor in this case, is I saw this video that had a Turnigy SCT 5 turn BL in a Tmaxx, and it looked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwz7SGePi1Y
Old 01-02-2015, 01:58 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
One of the main reasons I've been considering converting the LST to electric is because I've always really liked this truck. I prefer the bigger size RC's (I REALLY want to get a 1/5 scale, but I go in and out of hobbies too much to spend that much right now :-) ). But, if I do the conversion, I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible, you know, because of that going in and out of hobbies thing. That's why I'm looking at the HobbyKing stuff rather than looking at the more expense, proven stuff.

A couple more questions, you mentioned a 27t pinion / 63t spur combo. All I'm finding available on RC Monster is a 26t or 28t pinion gear. Would it make a huge difference if I went with either of those? And would I need a different spur gear if I did?
Everyone has different reasons for building how they do. For the combination you have I wouldn't go higher than 28T on the pinion. The pinion and spur are mod1 pitch, you wouldn't need to change anything. Your truck should have a 63t or possibly a 64t spur on it, either would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Also, is this a viable alternative to the TD Racing single speed conversion? HERE
I saw on another forum someone who bought that sellers motor mount and single speed. They were happy with it and I would've mentioned it but I thought the seller didn't have anymore. The seller originally said he made a limited run and wouldn't make any more but I guess the demand was great enough.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:29 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Only reason I recommended the Atomik motor in this case, is I saw this video that had a Turnigy SCT 5 turn BL in a Tmaxx, and it looked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwz7SGePi1Y
You still linked to a 4s battery, the motor specs and the video say 2s.

The video is of a 2.5 TMaxx. I agree with the video that you need to watch the power especially with a stock 2.5 TMaxx. That TMaxx is still lighter than a LST by at least 2lbs and he's geared for 35mph or less. It looks like closer to 30mph to me and it's able to wheely because the battery is out back. Either way, what isn't mentioned is motor temp. Is he ok with the burning up cheap motors by running them at 200F or is this a nice safe 150-160F setup? There's a reason Brushless Edition Revo's and Emaxx's use 1/8 motors on 4s, it's a more reliable setup in addition to being more powerful. The LST is built way tougher than any Traxxas, 4s is nothing for these trucks and 8s has been done with pretty darn good reliability.

I have experience with putting motors in vehicles larger and heavier than what they were designed for. The Castle 2200kv is for vehicles about 13lbs or less if you want to gear for 40mph on all surfaces reliably. I put it in a Revo I stretched to 1/5 Baja 5t size that with one set of packs was 16lbs rtr. With a big fan on the motor temps on pavement were fine but getting close to the limit when running in grass. But there was room for another set of packs in parallel so I tried it out and it weighed 19lbs. It took about 2min to realize temps were too high for 40mph gearing on pavement even with the big fan.

I personally don't feel comfortable recommending a setup that's going to be more marginal as far as temps and require going so much slower to be reliable. The guy in the video doesn't mind because he's trying to sell mounts and the video is meant to lower your expectations. If you want performance equal to a nitro you need a bigger motor and more voltage.

Edit: I had to change the 2nd to last paragraph about my 1/5 Revo as I was remembering things wrong. That truck had a few different motors in it and I had to get them straight.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 01-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:09 AM
beardking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, my conversion of Chuck (what my wife calls my LST) has been put on hold for a while. In a moment of weakness (and a sign of my impatience), I ordered a Traxxas Slash and should be receiving it tomorrow. :-) I still want to do the conversion, but I know that it would take me a while to get the conversion done and I just want to get out and mess around with a truck NOW. :-) I'll be back in the not too distant future for sure.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
mattmatt001

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any news on your LST? I have an original im hoping to convert and this is the only thread ive seen that lists it all out (within my price range!) so far i have....

NO CONVERSION KIT!!
hobbywing 1800kv 4274sd combo 150a esc
rc monster mount
tenko tray 150x50 with step
single speed conversion.. (is the ebay one right? are there any other TDR alternatives)

complete noob here so am really looking forward to your final parts list! any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by mattmatt001; 01-11-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM
scowlingnewt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you help with my conversion?

Lst2. Stock tyres. FOC. Stock 63t spur.

Looking to buy:

Hobbywing xerun 4274sd 1800kv and 120a esc.
5000ma 6s 40c lipo.
Motor mount and single speed from rc specialists http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181630881378 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181626184597
Battery box from rc monster
23t pinion gear, not chosen a supplier.

Are these good choices for bashing and jumping? Is that the right gearing? Do I need any other parts?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 PM
scowlingnewt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I meant a 150a xerun esc.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt001 View Post
Any news on your LST? I have an original im hoping to convert and this is the only thread ive seen that lists it all out (within my price range!) so far i have....

NO CONVERSION KIT!!
hobbywing 1800kv 4274sd combo 150a esc
rc monster mount
tenko tray 150x50 with step
single speed conversion.. (is the ebay one right? are there any other TDR alternatives)

complete noob here so am really looking forward to your final parts list! any help would be greatly appreciated
I saw your post on another forum, that thread and others there are very informative including a user with that Hobbywing motor/esc combo. He had motor heat issues but he was also trying to gear for over 50mph, geared for a more reasonable 45mph his temps were fine.

That ebay single speed and the TDR are your only options unless you can find the discontinued Losi or lock your 2spnin 2nd gear. I locked my nephews in 2nd gear with JB Weld epoxy. Simply disassemble the 2speed until all your left with is the 2nd gear cam and 2nd gear hub. Put some tape around the outside of the 2nd gear hub to cover the holes in it. Fully seat the 2nd gear hub on the 2nd gear cam and fill the 2nd gear hub with JB Weld epoxy. When it cures it will be one unit locked in 2nd gear. Reassemble on the truck without the 1st gear parts and it will look like the pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB964BF9-0347-4346-85DE-D22D704D5BD5-436-000000BCA6E84E23_zps38c65c55.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2063299  
Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
scowlingnewt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you post a link to the thread you mention? I am looking for the same motor and esc. I wanthink advice on the battery and pinion to pair with it.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 AM
scowlingnewt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lots of parts on their way to me in the post. I have ordered the xerun 4274 1800kv. I need to choose between 4s/5s/6s, any advice?

The final problem is diff oil. With nitro I ran with grease send no oil. What weight front and rear do people recommend? I want the truck to still break loose at the rear. I have searched plenty of threads and the advice ranges from 1k to 15k. I have no idea now!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In my experience an 1800kv motor can feel a little lazy on 4s. If you geared an 1800kv and a 2200kv on 4s for the same top speed the 2200kv feels more peppy to me, especially from the midrange to top end. The 1800kv has plenty of power it just has a flat power curve that grunts through the gearing like a diesel. The purpose of lower kv is to allow higher voltages so peak rpm is more or less equal to a higher kv on a lower voltage. This gives more gearing options with those higher voltages so you might as well go for it. I personally like 5s for lots of applications, it adds some punch and pep while not getting too nutty. 5s also gives the esc a little headroom and motor temps aren't as sensitive to gearing as 6s can be. If you want a speed demon, to do multiple standing backflips or your truck is all aluminum then you probably want 6s.

Diff oil has a lot to do with preference and the surface being run on. Big tire MT's do need higher weight diff oil than say a truggy so I'm going to say at least 10k. I personally run 30k front with 20k rear in my LST XXL as I find a slightly lower weight in the rear helps the truck drift but you may like the same weight (or less difference between the) front and rear. I love throwing the truck sideways into a corner, then mashing the throttle throwing roost and steering the truck sideways out of the corner. My diff oils may be a bit on the thick side, I haven't tried any other weights in the truck as I'm pretty happy with it but I have wanted to try thinner oil front and rear to see what happens. I went this thick due to my 6.9" tall Trenchers and all the power I have from the Castle 1717 motor on 6s. On the now defunct LST forums most guys ran 20-30k, none lower than 10k though.

Search this Thread