Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Poor steering performance after ESC change and removal of steering servo battery

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Poor steering performance after ESC change and removal of steering servo battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 PM
DadSonsAndToys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor steering performance after ESC change and removal of steering servo battery

This Aftershock is an electric conversion. After running through a puddle and frying the ESC, the local hobby shop put in a new Castle Creations Mamba Moster 2 ESC. Prior to this work, I had that small 6 volt battery mounted under the chassis to power the steering servos. The shop tech recommended removing this battery because he said the 4S LiPo battery could be used also to power the steering. I took his word for it. So, with one less battery and fewer parts I thought I made the right decision.

Now, my steering power is greatly diminished. For example, the steering servos won't even turn the wheels when the truck is sitting still. Also, the turning radius is noticeably larger than it used to be.

What's the best way to fix this?

Last edited by DadSonsAndToys; 11-20-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:07 AM
DadSonsAndToys

OK, I found out that one of the servos isn't working. I'm thinking about replacing them both. Can anyone recommend a cheaper, good alternative servo with more power than the JR Z590M metal servos that come stock?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Tzicul

I used to run with those one https://www.asiatees.com/display.php...l=All&id=59719 , but they burned down within a year, maybe because they are analogue and I'm using gyro stabilisation. So I switched to those one https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-h...12sec-53g.html or https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-h...07sec-53g.html which are digital. No problem in over two or tree years
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It would be best to have the two servos with the same specs since they will be connected, and acting as one. The only advise I will give is, don't go too "cheap" on buying servos, and get servos with at least 50% more torque than what the stock servos had. Better yet, double what the stock servo's torque is. If you were happy with the .015 speed of the JR Z590M servos, then you should look for that speed spec on your new servos.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I religiously use HiTec HS645MG servos in my LST2 trucks. They're plenty fast and each provides 133oz/in torque. I have had great luck with them and continue to use them in other rigs as well as boats.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:22 AM
DadSonsAndToys

Originally Posted by Tzicul
I used to run with those one https://www.asiatees.com/display.php...l=All&id=59719 , but they burned down within a year, maybe because they are analogue and I'm using gyro stabilisation. So I switched to those one https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-h...12sec-53g.html or https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-h...07sec-53g.html which are digital. No problem in over two or tree years
Thanks for the link. Those servos look really nice, and the price is good, too. My stock Z590M servos are analog and the ones you linked to are digital. There is no mention of the words "digital" or "analog" in my ESC's (Castle Mamba Monster 2) manual. Do you know if my ESC will work with these digital servos?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 AM
DadSonsAndToys

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I have had great luck with them and continue to use them in other rigs as well as boats.
Boats, too? Are they waterproof?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:34 AM
DadSonsAndToys

Originally Posted by RustyUs
It would be best to have the two servos with the same specs since they will be connected, and acting as one. The only advise I will give is, don't go too "cheap" on buying servos, and get servos with at least 50% more torque than what the stock servos had. Better yet, double what the stock servo's torque is. If you were happy with the .015 speed of the JR Z590M servos, then you should look for that speed spec on your new servos.
Great advice, thank you!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DadSonsAndToys
Boats, too? Are they waterproof?
Nope. But the radio box/electronics compartments are.

FWIW - I will always use name brand servos. I had a no-name servo fail me at an inopertune time and it cost me a lot of dollars to repair the model.