Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Which NITRO Losi Monster is best????

Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 AM
PontiacHP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which NITRO Losi Monster is best????

Hello everyone Im new here to the forum. I am in the market to buy a Losi Nitro monster truck, but there are a few different models. I am unsure of which one to buy! Could anyone please explain the differences between the models? Which one is the best? Ive been into Nitro for 20+ years. Ive raced a little, but this will be a basher. I love to get the maximum potential out of my rc's! Thanks in advance for reply's!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know if any LST models are still being manufactured, but basically there are two platforms. LST/LST2 and XXL. The former is a little shorter than the latter. The earlier XXLs are geared 2 teeth faster while the latter ones are only geared 1 tooth faster. If looking for Nitro, go with an LST2 or XXL depending on how big you want it. I believe the XXL is an inch or two longer but is otherwise very similar to the XXL in regard to the rest of the driveline, chassis, and suspension. I have two LST2s and love them.

If you get the GAS model, swap the gas engine for a Nitro engine. The GAS engine is a piece of junk.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-11-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:42 AM
PontiacHP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I don't know if any LST models are still being manufactured, but basically there are two platforms. LST/LST2 and XXL. The former is a little shorter than the latter. The earlier XXLs are geared 2 teeth faster while the latter ones are only geared 1 tooth faster. If looking for Nitro, go with an LST2 or XXL depending on how big you want it. I believe the XXL is an inch or two longer but is otherwise very similar to the XXL in regard to the rest of the driveline, chassis, and suspension. I have two LST2s and love them.

If you get the GAS model, swap the gas engine for a Nitro engine. The GAS engine is a piece of junk.
thanks for the wealth of info! I realize I'll have to get a used truck. I believe you are correct that they don't make them anymore. How would I tell an earlier xxl model from a later xxl model? Would they have different part numbers? Is the LST2 latest release?
As far as engines go, do these trucks need a pull start engine or will bump box work? What would be a good engine to really overpower this beast? I love having too much power and ripping crazy 2nd gear wheelies!!

Last edited by PontiacHP; 08-11-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only real difference between an early and late XXL is the clutchbell. I think the early one is 19/26 and the later one (and the same as used on the LST2) is 18/25 I believe. The transmission is the same in all XXL variants I believe.

The chronology of the LST trucks is: original LST, Raminator/Aftershock (same as LST except FOC transmission), LST2, XXL, XXL2 (GAS model), and XXL2-E. Difference between LST/Aftershock/Raminator and LST2 and XXLs - beefier axles, suspension, and spur gear hubs. Differences between LST/LST2 and XXL trucks is XXL has longer chassis and transmission is FOC. LST and LST2 have a forward/reverse and hi/low range transmission. A Forward only conversion is common on the LST/LST2 trucks. Shaves a bunch of weight off.

For engines - I'm a bit of a snob. I used to use SH engines (same company makes engines for the Losi trucks), but I now use Italian engines. One of my trucks has a Novarossi legend 28-8RT and the other has a Picco P3 .28. The Novarossi is still for sale and can be had for around $180. Find it at Novarossidirect.com. For exhaust, I would use a Novarossi 41017 manifold and Novarossi 9886SS pipe. This manifold and pipe will suit a stock Legend 28 well. If you want stupid power, get a modified Legend 28-8 from The Nitro Shop. Don't do the pullstart model; get the rotostart model. You will need a rotostart wand and may need to do some custom work to the starter wand to make the Nova starter driver to fit. I can post pictures of this later.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 AM
PontiacHP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[QUOTE=1QwkSport2.5r;12359392]The only real difference between an early and late XXL is the clutchbell. I think the early one is 19/26 and the later one (and the same as used on the LST2) is 18/25 I believe. The transmission is the same in all XXL variants I believe.

The chronology of the LST trucks is: original LST, Raminator/Aftershock (same as LST except FOC transmission), LST2, XXL, XXL2 (GAS model), and XXL2-E. Difference between LST/Aftershock/Raminator and LST2 and XXLs - beefier axles, suspension, and spur gear hubs. Differences between LST/LST2 and XXL trucks is XXL has longer chassis and transmission is FOC. LST and LST2 have a forward/reverse and hi/low range transmission. A Forward only conversion is common on the LST/LST2 trucks. Shaves a bunch of weight off.

For engines - I'm a bit of a snob. I used to use SH engines (same company makes engines for the Losi trucks), but I now use Italian engines. One of my trucks has a Novarossi legend 28-8RT and the other has a Picco P3 .28. The Novarossi is still for sale and can be had for around $180. Find it at Novarossidirect.com. For exhaust, I would use a Novarossi 41017 manifold and Novarossi 9886SS pipe. This manifold and pipe will suit a stock Legend 28 well. If you want stupid power, get a modified Legend 28-8 from The Nitro Shop. Don't do the pullstart model; get the rotostart model. You will need a rotostart wand and may need to do some custom work to the starter wand to make the Nova starter driver to fit. I can post pictures of this later.[/QUOTE

So perhaps I'll look for an LST2 with the shorter Chassis. It will probably be a bit easier to overpower it! I will definitely be looking into a modified Legend engine!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Watch these:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
PontiacHP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Yeah that thing moves! Can you adjust when it shifts into second gear?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacHP View Post
Yeah that thing moves! Can you adjust when it shifts into second gear?
Yes you can adjust the shift point.

Search this Thread