Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Does Losi Aftershock have 40 series wheels?

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Does Losi Aftershock have 40 series wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 AM
DadSonsAndToys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Losi Aftershock have 40 series wheels?

Does anyone know if the 1/8 Losi Aftershock series wheels (part number LOSB7001) are considered 40 series wheels? I need some new wheels and want to get something similar but am having a hard time finding any that will fit the Losi Aftershock.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

Dude your all over the map aren't you. upgrade to 17 mm hex and you will have a ton of tire and rims choices to pick from...

copied from a different post for your info needed..

Losi went a little funky with the wheels but not as funky as you think. The wheels are 20mm hex and yeah nobody uses that besides Losi. For 20mm hex you have a choice of Losi dish wheels and the chrome ones and they're called Losi 420 for the size. These 420 wheels have a 3.8" tire mounting diameter which is the same as 40 series wheels so 40 series tires will fit Losi 420 wheels. 40 series wheels and tires used to be really popular, then monster trucks became less popular and when Traxxas came up with their own tire mounting bead (similar to buggy bead) 40 series basically disappeared. Unfortunately the Traxxas bead is also 3.8" which can lead to some confusion and since it's not a standard bead like 40 series the two are not compatible. You have been warned so double check the tire bead before ordering anything.

The choices in 40 series wheels and tires are really slim these days though. Proline has 40 series Trenchers (not the X, those are Traxxas bead) and one wheel in a standard offset. Axial has 40 series wheels but no tires, there's the Losi 420 stuff and that's about it besides whatever you can find that's used or old stock.

The LST2, XXL,XXL2 and XXL2e all use 8mm axles and can accept a wide variety of 17mm hex adapters though. I personally used Losi 8ight 1/2" extended adapters on my XXL because the 40 series is a little narrower than the Losi 420 and the 1/2" adapter put the outside edge of the tire equal to the Losi 420. The 8ight 17mm adapters did require a few shims behind them to take up the gap. Losi does have a 17mm kit for the LST2 that aren't extended and it includes a few shims to go behind the hex. With this kit and 1/2" offset wheels you won't lose any width at the outside edge of the tire. My Axial wheels aren't available in 1/2" offset though, come to think of it there's no 1/2" offset 40 series wheels, so I went with the 1/2" extended 17mm adapters instead.

So your basic choices are stay 20mm with Losi 420 wheels and your tire choices are limited to Losi and Proline Trenchers. Or you can swap to 17mm and run just about anything you want. _

Last edited by scott36; 11-14-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM
DadSonsAndToys

Smile

Originally Posted by scott36
Dude your all over the map aren't you. upgrade to 17 mm hex and you will have a ton of tire and rims choices to pick from...

copied from a different post for your info needed..

Losi went a little funky with the wheels but not as funky as you think. The wheels are 20mm hex and yeah nobody uses that besides Losi. For 20mm hex you have a choice of Losi dish wheels and the chrome ones and they're called Losi 420 for the size. These 420 wheels have a 3.8" tire mounting diameter which is the same as 40 series wheels so 40 series tires will fit Losi 420 wheels. 40 series wheels and tires used to be really popular, then monster trucks became less popular and when Traxxas came up with their own tire mounting bead (similar to buggy bead) 40 series basically disappeared. Unfortunately the Traxxas bead is also 3.8" which can lead to some confusion and since it's not a standard bead like 40 series the two are not compatible. You have been warned so double check the tire bead before ordering anything.

The choices in 40 series wheels and tires are really slim these days though. Proline has 40 series Trenchers (not the X, those are Traxxas bead) and one wheel in a standard offset. Axial has 40 series wheels but no tires, there's the Losi 420 stuff and that's about it besides whatever you can find that's used or old stock.

The LST2, XXL,XXL2 and XXL2e all use 8mm axles and can accept a wide variety of 17mm hex adapters though. I personally used Losi 8ight 1/2" extended adapters on my XXL because the 40 series is a little narrower than the Losi 420 and the 1/2" adapter put the outside edge of the tire equal to the Losi 420. The 8ight 17mm adapters did require a few shims behind them to take up the gap. Losi does have a 17mm kit for the LST2 that aren't extended and it includes a few shims to go behind the hex. With this kit and 1/2" offset wheels you won't lose any width at the outside edge of the tire. My Axial wheels aren't available in 1/2" offset though, come to think of it there's no 1/2" offset 40 series wheels, so I went with the 1/2" extended 17mm adapters instead.

So your basic choices are stay 20mm with Losi 420 wheels and your tire choices are limited to Losi and Proline Trenchers. Or you can swap to 17mm and run just about anything you want. _
Dude, I have an Aftershock. I stated this in the title. I can't "stay 20mm" because I don't have 20mm.

The excerpt you copied and pasted doesn't apply to the stock Aftershock.

There is no way that I know of to upgrade the Aftershock to 17mm hex, because the Aftershock has 14mm hex, unless I change the axles and a bunch of other parts (this is what I'm trying to avoid). Find me a hex adapter that goes from 14mm to 17mm that works with the Aftershock's 5mm axle and I'll buy you a beer or a coffee.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 AM
scott36

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-sct...4aAnEeEALw_wcB
these may work for you if the axel size is correct
Old 11-16-2017, 02:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

There used to be plastic adapters for 17mm wheels that fit the aftershock/LST trucks, but they didn't last long. The intention to stick with plastic hexes on stock axles is not going to get you very far. I've run LST/Aftershock/LST2 trucks for over 10 years. Started with an aftershock - upgraded to LST2 suspension and driveline - made all the difference in the world. Durability when up ten fold. I just bought LST2/XXL wheels and tires and sold the aftershock set on eBay. I still have the aftershock suspension and axles and stuff, but I don't think I have any of the wheel adapters anymore - and now that I think about it - those adapters I'm thinking of were for adapting an aftershock axle to accept 20mm hex wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7668.PNG
Views:	123
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2245216  

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 11-16-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 AM
DadSonsAndToys

They sure look like they will. I've messaged the store to confirm that they'll fit my axles before I buy them. Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 AM
DadSonsAndToys

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
There used to be plastic adapters for 17mm wheels that fit the aftershock/LST trucks, but they didn't last long. .
I've manged to only strip the hexes on one wheel, and that was because I wasn't paying attention when the nut got loose. Any idea what to look for to find these adapters?

The intention to stick with plastic hexes on stock axles is not going to get you very far. I've run LST/Aftershock/LST2 trucks for over 10 years. Started with an aftershock - upgraded to LST2 suspension and driveline - made all the difference in the world. Durability when up ten fold.
I want that ten fold durability, but I can't find any place that has the Aftershock upgrade kit in stock.

...and now that I think about it - those adapters I'm thinking of were for adapting an aftershock axle to accept 20mm hex wheels
Yep, I think you're right about this. I'd be happy to go to 20mm hex, but that would require other drivetrain upgrades, and since the kit can't be found, I guess my only option is to source individual parts so I end up with the larger axles. Would you happen to know which parts I'll need to accomplish this?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:05 PM
DadSonsAndToys

Just my luck, the center hole on those are too small. They fit 4mm axles, my axles are 5mm. I suppose I could bore out the hole with a hand reamer, but I would prefer something that would fit without custom modifications. Still, this maybe the best option yet.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM
scott36

I would go the rought of drilling out the holes to fit your axels myself, just take the time to find the correct drill bit to drill them out with. I work at a metal shop I can look up the bit size for 5mm on monday

Originally Posted by DadSonsAndToys
Just my luck, the center hole on those are too small. They fit 4mm axles, my axles are 5mm. I suppose I could bore out the hole with a hand reamer, but I would prefer something that would fit without custom modifications. Still, this maybe the best option yet.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM
scott36

I remember these but don't know were I saw them.
this might work to, if I read the listing right your would find some 12mm hexs and then the 17mm go over them to fit 17mm rim/tire choices.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Blue-Alum-Whe...d=112559817694

There used to be plastic adapters for 17mm wheels that fit the aftershock/LST trucks, but they didn't last long. The intention to stick with plastic hexes on stock axles is not going to get you very far. I've run LST/Aftershock/LST2 trucks for over 10 years. Started with an aftershock - upgraded to LST2 suspension and driveline - made all the difference in the world. Durability when up ten fold. I just bought LST2/XXL wheels and tires and sold the aftershock set on eBay. I still have the aftershock suspension and axles and stuff, but I don't think I have any of the wheel adapters anymore - and now that I think about it - those adapters I'm thinking of were for adapting an aftershock axle to accept 20mm hex wheels.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I remember these but don't know were I saw them.
this might work to, if I read the listing right your would find some 12mm hexs and then the 17mm go over them to fit 17mm rim/tire choices.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Blue-Alum-Whe...d=112559817694
These adapters are what I had gotten in a set of Losi 420 series wheels some years ago. Losi: 420 Series Hex Adapter Set (4): Universal: Losi (LOSB3518)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 PM
scott36

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1-1...ss!55379!US!-1
these are the upgrade adapters I used on the my emax that started as 14 mm hex rims, the axels are 6mm and so I am pretty sure your axels on the after shock are 6mm and these will work for you so you can go with 17 mm rims, get a micrometer to get a good measurements of the axel.
let us know
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM
DadSonsAndToys

Default Repairing an RC Stripped Wheel and Wheel Hex

...get a micrometer to get a good measurements of the axel.
let us know
Micrometer says the axle is 5mm. Losi's Aftershock part list shows 5mm (LOSA6321), too. Also, the nut fits my 5mm bolt gauge.
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2245320
For round three (or five, I can't remember) of gluing the wheels to the hexes I'm going to drill 3 or 4 evenly spaced tiny holes around the circumference of the wheel hub, right into the wheel and shove glue-coated tiny rods (like a staple or paperclip) into these holes. I'm doweling it. I wonder if that will hold for a few runs until my parts arrive. Anyone have another shop-fix suggestion to hold that stripped wheel on?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 AM
scott36

ok to be exact my axels on my emax measure 5.6 mm , is this the measurement you get, if so the Traxxas 17mm hexs will, I say this to because I called my local hobby store that is really good with this stuff and he told me the axels on the aftershock were 6mm. also HPI has some 17 mm hexs to,
Old 11-17-2017, 04:05 AM
scott36

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...e_wheel_hexes/
these look like 17mm to
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ok to be exact my axels on my emax measure 5.6 mm , is this the measurement you get, if so the Traxxas 17mm hexs will, I say this to because I called my local hobby store that is really good with this stuff and he told me the axels on the aftershock were 6mm. also HPI has some 17 mm hexs to,
Those guys at Rc Car Kings are the bomb. I love that shop.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 AM
scott36

nice pick up on the shop I called
Old 11-17-2017, 04:20 AM
scott36

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Adapters-...cAAOSwT-FZClxT
I think I found what you need. look farther down on the page and it states this---Fits Ø 5.5mm to Ø 6mm Axles with Snug Very Precise Fit on Ø 6 mm Axles

I would get these ordered fast for your self

Last edited by scott36; 11-17-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 AM
DadSonsAndToys

On my Aftershock, the threaded part at the end is 5mm and the non-threaded part is 6mm.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 AM
DadSonsAndToys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Adapters-...cAAOSwT-FZClxT
I think I found what you need. look farther down on the page and it states this---Fits Ø 5.5mm to Ø 6mm Axles with Snug Very Precise Fit on Ø 6 mm Axles

I would get these ordered fast for your self
Those look perfect, thanks. I'm ordering them today, right now. Done, ordered. Now, I need a good recommendation on some good wheels. I have so many choices now that I'll be using 17mm hexes!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 AM
scott36

https://www.prolineracing.com/monster-truck-tires
Duratrax Performance Tires - Monster Truck
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cars-bik...8th-scale.html
here is a ton of good choices, I have a set from Hobby King(not sure if you have used hobby king or not) that are the copy's of the Badlands MX . these are pre mounted units, think about if you want a 1/2 off set to for making the rig wider.
here is a link to HKs off road tires, you may save some coin to..
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

nice pick up on the shop I called
I think you were the fellow I bought some XXL wheels and tires from in their parking lot. LOL.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 PM
scott36

ya I thought so to