Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New LST2 Engine Runs - but truck won't move - Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New LST2 Engine Runs - but truck won't move - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM
ARDV8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LST2 Engine Runs - but truck won't move - Help Please

Started breaking the engine in. Fired up first time, and after slight leaning of bottom end ran fine. Was going to do the slow figure of eights, but, the truck won't move. I have to really throttle it to get it to move at all, and it doesn't sound too good, sort of a metalic sound coming from gear box. Only tried moving it once for fear of stripping teeth or something. The high low plunger is engaged properly, as is the forward gear selector. The manual doesn't explain things very well.

Can anyone help please

Many thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
phill200566

Default RE: New LST2 Engine Runs - but truck won't move - Help Please

hi
have you checked the slipper clutch behind the spur gears it may not be adjusted properly it say's in the instructions what the settings are very easy to check and adjust the slipper clutch as a metal disc that could be making the noise your hearing
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
IL2mSturmovik

lols I know what you are saying.
The metallic noise is teh clutch shoes.
Initially esp when its new, it will rev higher than you would think it would need to to move.
Keep revving it higher, it will move
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
phill200566

i can't see why you should have to rev it higher because its new i have just fitted a brand new alloy clutch in my losi lst and it pull's away like it did with the bedded in carbon clutch
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM
ARDV8

Thanks for the replies, I'll check the slipper clutch and post back...................but if they make this noise when new, maybe it is okay and I am being over cautious lol
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
phill200566

have you also checked the brakes have'nt jamned on lift all four wheels of the ground and hold a back wheel in each hand and try turning the wheels
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
ARDV8

Think I figured out the noise, it is just the metal plates of the brake vibrating on the drive shaft, tried the slipper clutch, the nut has been stripped already, so, turned it around and it seems ok. I have a nut to fit, but it isn't the nylon lock type, can these nuts be got from anywhere?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
phill200566

i take it with the nut stripped the slipper clutch was too loose plus when you say the nut has stripped do you mean the threads have gone or just the nylon lock part ? if the nut has gone totally you can get them from places like IFS but take the old nut with you because there not metric
Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
phill200566

just had a thought if the trucks brand new take it back to the shop and let them fix it under warranty
Old 06-29-2007, 04:12 PM
ARDV8

ORIGINAL: phill200566

just had a thought if the trucks brand new take it back to the shop and let them fix it under warranty
Thanks for the reply, thing is the truck was bought over the internet. The company is good and I'm sure they would sort it. I think I'll get them to send me a nut through the post.

When the nut is on, how tight should it be. With the nut I have that does fit I can tighten it quiet a lot, haven't completely tightened it until it won't turn any more though, but the spring is compressed, then I back it off by one full turn as it says in the manual.

As the engine is still running very rich I suppose this will give it a sluggish feel and make it so I have to throttle it a lot to get it to move, at this time it is running with HSN 4 turns out, LSN 2 turns out. I remember reading that these settings could be too rich, but it does tick over and smokes well.

The temps I'm getting are around 240-250, which seem slightly high compared to the temperatures I read about here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm

The only thing is that to make it move seems to take a lot of throttle, on the car I have it will move all the way through the throttle range, whereas at the moment the truck needs a lot of throttle, I am hoping that this is because of the richness of the engine
Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 AM
robscomputer

I am having the same issue on my new lst2. Just got the motor to run, it was really rich from the factory. Now when I gas it the motor revs but the spur gear does not move. I read that the engine might be too rich and not giving enough power to spin the clutch to engage the spur gear but not sure.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Baja5BLST

first try the roll test. Does it roll smoothly, without binding? If it doesn't, you got a problem somewhere.
Check the mesh between the clutch bell and the spur gears. See if they are meshed correctly. Do this by loosening the engine mount screws on the bottom, and putting a strip of paper between the clutch bell and the spur gear.(the ones closest to the engine) Now press, and tighten the screws. This sets the mesh. Now try the roll test. It might also be your clutch. Take the engine out, take off the clutch bell, and check the clutch shoes, and see if they are all right. It might be that they aren't right. Check by trying to pull out each shoe. It should be difficult, do to the resistance of the springs. If they won't move, no matter what you try(you might need a screwdriver to check), then this is your problem. Remove the shoes and springs, replace if necessary.
Also, check that it isn't your brakes that are binding. This might be the case.
It could be that you have lost the little set-screws that secure the outdrives to the tranny. Flip your truck over, and the outdrives attached to the tranny should have some setcrews securing the outdrives to the tranny. If not there, this is your problem. If they do, check that they are tight. Also, check that the CVD's are attached to the output shafts on the diffs(you must remove the two skidplates to check) with setscrews as well. if these are totally gone, or just loose, replace or tighten.
After checking this, report back with your findings. If this doesn't solve your problem, we've narrowed down the issues at least.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:02 AM
phill200566

hi there's no way you should be getting temps that high with factory settings i presume the temps are at factory settings you will struggle to make 100 with the weather were having in derbyshire at the moment what are you using to check the temps
Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 AM
ARDV8

ORIGINAL: Baja5BLST

first try the roll test. Does it roll smoothly, without binding? If it doesn't, you got a problem somewhere.
Check the mesh between the clutch bell and the spur gears. See if they are meshed correctly. Do this by loosening the engine mount screws on the bottom, and putting a strip of paper between the clutch bell and the spur gear.(the ones closest to the engine) Now press, and tighten the screws. This sets the mesh. Now try the roll test. It might also be your clutch. Take the engine out, take off the clutch bell, and check the clutch shoes, and see if they are all right. It might be that they aren't right. Check by trying to pull out each shoe. It should be difficult, do to the resistance of the springs. If they won't move, no matter what you try(you might need a screwdriver to check), then this is your problem. Remove the shoes and springs, replace if necessary.
It could be that you have lost the little set-screws that secure the outdrives to the tranny. Flip your truck over, and the outdrives attached to the tranny should have some setcrews securing the outdrives to the tranny. If not there, this is your problem. If they do, check that they are tight. Also, check that the CVD's are attached to the output shafts on the diffs(you must remove the two skidplates to check) with setscrews as well. if these are totally gone, or just loose, replace or tighten.
After checking this, report back with your findings. If this doesn't solve your problem, we've narrowed down the issues at least.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check all these and let you know

For temperature I'm using a digital thermometre in the Fahrenheit scale. I've proved this against another thermometre I have, just using the Fahrenheit scale as most things I read use this scale for engine temps
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 AM
ARDV8

ORIGINAL: Baja5BLST

I tried the roll test, it rolls without binding.

Checked the mesh between the clutch bell and spur gears - no problem

Tested the clutch springs - ok

Checked brakes - no binding

Set screws are in and tight

It might be that I am being too cautious about it all, the engine is running well, still rich and plenty of oil going in and coming out the exhaust pipe.

The truck will move in forward and reverse, it just seems that I have to give it a lot of throttle to get it moving, but as the engine is running so rich maybe this is the only thing I am noticing, as high rpms won't be reached, and power is nowhere near maximum, is it normal to have to throttle it to get it movning at break in stage.

Thanks for your time and help over this
Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 AM
ARDV8

Truck is getting more responsive now, seem to need less throttle to move it

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, looks as though the break in oricess is going well
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
ccalum02

ORIGINAL: ARDV8

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, looks as though the break in oricess is going well
Good stuff, wait till you hit about tank 15 or so and the 427 really starts settling in... You shouldnt have any trouble with responsiveness then I bought a LRP .28 spec 3 for mine based on the first gallon performance, am on the last of my second gallon now and honestly dont think I need any more power in the LST2. Looks like the LRP will be 'resting' until the 427 actually gives up!

Anyway have fun with it, hope it stops raining long enough for us both to get out eh
Old 06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
ARDV8

ORIGINAL: ccalum02

ORIGINAL: ARDV8

Good stuff, wait till you hit about tank 15 or so and the 427 really starts settling in... You shouldnt have any trouble with responsiveness then I bought a LRP .28 spec 3 for mine based on the first gallon performance, am on the last of my second gallon now and honestly dont think I need any more power in the LST2. Looks like the LRP will be 'resting' until the 427 actually gives up!

Anyway have fun with it, hope it stops raining long enough for us both to get out eh
Me too, this rain is getting into Noah's Ark territory now lol
Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
[email protected]

I just got one a week ago and had the same problem the brakes were stuck on cuz the throttle was set high from the remote so the brakes were applyed when the throttle was off. after a few laps the brakes overheated and came apart.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:20 PM
peanut325

Default Losi lst super truck engine revs to a certain rpm and dont go no further

I was trying my freshly built lst and I tried the motor and it went to a certain rpm and didnt go no further ive check everything and took apart the carb and still didn't get anything
Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut325
I was trying my freshly built lst and I tried the motor and it went to a certain rpm and didnt go no further ive check everything and took apart the carb and still didn't get anything
What engine is it actually, what fuel, what glow plug, and how much time is on the engine so far? Also, what exactly did you do when you “checked everything”.