Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Can't keep my LST engine temps down

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
mclassic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't keep my LST engine temps down

I did the break-in on the engine. I set the low and high speed needles for proper throttle response and top-end. One problem though, I cannot keep the engine within the recommended operating range. At idle the engine will run about 225-235 degrees. After doing a couple of passes up and down the street, the engine gets up to about 280. It has also overheated on me a couple of times at 300+. It got up to 380 during one overheat. All of these temps came while running with the body off the truck.

I've tried setting both needless for more of a rich mixture. But, I get absolutely no throttle response when I do this. I'm using Sidewinder Backyard Burner 20% fuel. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:20 PM
joules

Default RE: Can't keep my LST engine temps down

You could have an air leak or a cut fuel line.
J~
Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
creyc

380? lol

I suggest you look for a new heat gun. Or richen it WAY up.

Try a different fueland check your fuel hoses. You can also take the carb off and clean it out, there could be a pice of dirt on or near the high speed needle.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
mclassic

I get the strange feeling that it's my Ofna temp gun. Now I have good reason to buy a new one! I'll check for air leaks and dirt though.

How far away should I have the gun when I take a temp? I usually point the temp gun straight near the head and aim it at the glow plug.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

well untill you get a new temp gun.. start her up and run a few good passes (make sure you have a good smoke trail) and bring it in and spit on top of the head (heat sink) and if it sizzle off instantly your to hot if it sizzles away in a few seconds or longer your fine...
Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
icenutz

A lot of people use the spit method. Try it if you are around 3 seconds you are ok. Make sure you try it after some run time though. I have a Duratrax temp gun and when I was at a track I compared it's results with 3 other different temp guns. Here were the results were 270, 230, 250, 240. How can you trust these things??? Until someone can tell me a temp gun that is at least only plus or minus 10degress error, I would then trust a temp gun again.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:59 PM
snortonLSTrules

put some chewing gum on it that works awesome..... lol
Old 08-13-2004, 09:11 PM
creyc

For measuring the temp you want it as close as possible to the head. They work by aiming a infrared receiver at the head and measuring the intensity of the heat. It then converts it to a number on the screen. Because of the way it's focused, the range of measurement increases with the distance it's held from the target. so as close as possible is best, I would say don't get any further than 6 inches to a foot away and you'll be fine.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
yama86

Here is a real good way to test the accuracy of your temp gauge. Put a pot of water on the stove and set it to high. Then let the water boil. Water boils at 212 F so just wait till it starts boiling good, then take the temperature of the pan (it will be the same as the water) and it should be right around 212 degrees. Just keep track of the number you get. If your ofna gauge says 222 you know your off by 10, so always subtract 10 when you use your gauge and so on. You get the idea. Works pretty well for me. I use the method on my savage and it runs like a little nitro-cheeta. I plan to use all the techniques as soon as I get my LST. It's supposed to arrive next week, so I scheduled some vacation next week.
Good luck. Hope that helps out a little.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
icenutz

Some guns have different emissivity settings which can change your results by 20 or more degrees if set wrong. What are the guns set for that do not have the emissivity option? Are they set to take a reading off of anodized aluminum or reptiles like a lot of these guns were originally marketed for? Does it matter? Do we need to get that technical? I just think it is unreliable to get a temperature reading of 250 and it could be 270 or 230. Especially when you pay $30-$40 for the temp gun.

Spit test does not cost a dime and works for many people.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

i agree!!! like i said in another thread... my buddy argued with me about the spit test and said that a temp gun was the way to go... there is only two people at the local track that use them and they are more worried about the temp than just running thier truck ....i dont trust the temp gun to much room for error! every engine that i have owned said in the instructions that the spit test is a good way to check for over heating..
Old 08-14-2004, 06:12 AM
breakin2
My Feedback: (1)

I use the crap test myself. Just pop a squat and drop a duece right on the cooling head. If the smell covers more than a 5 ft radius, you're too hot.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:57 AM
bkmademedoit

anybody use this one?

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1236
Old 08-14-2004, 10:18 AM
ThermalRD

Those are really good. In fact, so are the mini's that are all copies of the Pro-exotics temp checkers. I highly doubt anybody here knows this, but PE is a Pet Store. They are also high end reptile breeders. If those temp checkers are accurate enough to take temps of eggs, and incubators, then they are definitely good enough for these engines. How do i know this you might ask? Simple! I've spent many many many years of my life collecting, and studying snakes and other exotics.
[link=http://www.proexotics.com/]PRO EXOTICS[/link]

ORIGINAL: bkmademedoit

anybody use this one?

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1236
Old 08-14-2004, 12:15 PM
icenutz

ORIGINAL: breakin2

I use the crap test myself. Just pop a squat and drop a duece right on the cooling head. If the smell covers more than a 5 ft radius, you're too hot.

Does it matter what the consistency of your crap is? Do you get a different reading if it is a solid or more of a liquid. If so I will have to watch what I eat the day before a big race!!
Old 08-14-2004, 01:33 PM
breakin2

Solid works much better. It's good to eat a lot of fiber before a big race.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:11 PM
joules

I suppose you could use a pot of boiling water to dial in your emissivity setting on your gun. When you pot starts to boil, hold your gun as far away from the pan as you do from your glo plug and get it dialed to 212 or so... I would think those guns are pretty darn accurate once you get them dialied in. If they are using them for breeding reptiles then plus or minus 50 degree is probably not gonna fly.
J~
Old 08-14-2004, 02:50 PM
breakin2

Thermal is the Lizard King.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Bruno

Dude, that is the funniest thing I read in a while But seriously, why not use an onboard temp gage like the venom? It is reliable, and it will give you your highest/lowest/and present temperature. Best buy IMO.

Bruno
ORIGINAL: breakin2

Old 08-16-2004, 04:06 PM
creyc

I use a Venom temp gauge on my Savage and it is very precise. It's not very accurate though.

Good for comparing one run to another, or looking for the effect of tuning the truck based on the previous run.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Bruno

Precise and accurate are synonims... So I don't understand what you are trying to say. If it's precise, then it's accurate.

Bruno
ORIGINAL: creyc

I use a Venom temp gauge on my Savage and it is very precise. It's not very accurate though.

Good for comparing one run to another, or looking for the effect of tuning the truck based on the previous run.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:43 PM
O.G.SaNDMaN

Some people have more than one nitro RC so the mounted venom temp guage is not really practical....I also find it nice to be able to check mine or a buddies RC
[quote]ORIGINAL: Bruno

Dude, that is the funniest thing I read in a while But seriously, why not use an onboard temp gage like the venom? It is reliable, and it will give you your highest/lowest/and present temperature. Best buy IMO.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:47 PM
mclassic

engine temps are fine when I dial-in the factory settings. But, I have absolutely no low-end throttle response whatsoever unless I go full throttle with the engine. If I make the low speed needle really lean the truck will take off but the engine temps shoot up 50-100 degrees and it eventually overheats.

I checked the clutch and everything. I have no clue as to what's going on. Guess I'll be calling Losi tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
creyc

Actually Bruno, precision and accuracy aren't the same thing. Hopefully this picture can help illustrate the difference.

You learn something new everyday!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Bruno

Well I did not want this to turn into an argument, but what the hell Open up Microsoft word (if you have it) or any dictionnary, you kids still use dictionnary don't you? Go to tools, language, thesaurus, then type precise or accurate, and see what you get... IT MEANS THE SAME THING! [:@] But I like your little shooting targets, that reminded me when I was in the SF.

Bruno
ORIGINAL: creyc

Actually Bruno, precision and accuracy aren't the same thing. Hopefully this picture can help illustrate the difference.

You learn something new everyday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.