Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just ordered my first ever RC car!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Estranged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my first ever RC car!!

Ive just orderd the LST without ever seeing one in action, and this is also my first ever RC car [X(] i havent even had a cheapo one or anything

is it going to be a good laugh? how much nitro fuel and batteries am i going to need to run it for a few hours?

What other accessories do i need to get now?

im well excited

EDIT - BTW how do i keep this clean? is it waterproof so i can rinse it down after its been out in the mud? is this a really lame ass question?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:08 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Just ordered my first ever RC car!!

Before i skip it...NO! Its not waterproof. The LST comes with one of the best radios on the market, and great servos and RX. DONT ruin them by running them in water. If you gotta go mud bogging, then get some plasti-dip, and seal all servos, balloon the battery, and RX. Number one thing you should buy, are good batteries. Buy some Team Orion 2300 AA's for the Tx, and a Team Orion Marathon 1200 Rx pack for the truck itself. Flat pack configuration. Spare glo plugs, temp gun, fuel, and a set of US standard Losi wrenches. Loctite is a good thing to keep on hand. As well as nitro cleaner, after run oil, and air filter oil too. Zip ties!!!! They are a must. Head to home depot, buy em in bulk. Wont cost more than 8 dollars, and you'll have every color, and enough to last a loooong time. Im sure someone else can help fill in with other ideas too.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:45 PM
nd2xlr8

If this is your first then a gallon of nitro will go a long way. It doesn't drink fuel like you might think. Like Themal said the batteries are the first improvement you should make. It will make a big difference in your enjoyment of the truck. The reason I replied is to stress the fact that the flat pack will make the servo's work better longer, and are more user friendly.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Estranged

Thanks guys

I wont be getting the car wet if its not supposed too! i just wondered how i can clean it? its gunna get covered in dust and stuff!!

Will it take any Nitro fuel?

Ill look up those batteries now, how long do they last? i want enough batteries so i can travel out with the truck and have it running for a good few hours.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:31 PM
raykessler

before u run it spray it with a light coat of WD-40 works pretty well

it will take any nitro fuel but u should use something with a 20% or higher nitro content

batteries will last several tanks, just make sure you have a good peak charger, dynamite makes a good one for 40-50 bucks

if you want several hours of run time u better buy a whole lotta batteries
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

i have a duratraxx piranha charger (around 50 bucks).. i have a couple flat 5 cell packs and a hump pack, but you just need one to get started my biggest is 1400 mah (around 25.00) i change mine out about every three tanks but thermal just got around seven tanks.. i use a trinity 7.2 volt sub c pack for my hand held starter (around 20.00) and i have only had to charge that twice since i have owned the truck!... and i use eight rechargeable duracell nimh 2050 mah batterys for my radio they come with four batterys and a 1 hour charger, but you can buy 4 more batterys with out the charger seperate...i have never had them go dead on me yet while running so if i had to guess i would say they last around 4+ hours on a single charge, but im not sure how much those cost because my wife picked them up for me.. she got them at walmart..
Old 09-06-2004, 07:15 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fantomas

i have a duratraxx piranha charger (around 50 bucks).. i have a couple flat 5 cell packs and a hump pack, but you just need one to get started my biggest is 1400 mah (around 25.00) i change mine out about every three tanks but thermal just got around seven tanks.. i use a trinity 7.2 volt sub c pack for my hand held starter (around 20.00) and i have only had to charge that twice since i have owned the truck!... and i use eight rechargeable duracell nimh 2050 mah batterys for my radio they come with four batterys and a 1 hour charger, but you can buy 4 more batterys with out the charger seperate...i have never had them go dead on me yet while running so if i had to guess i would say they last around 4+ hours on a single charge, but im not sure how much those cost because my wife picked them up for me.. she got them at walmart..

I'm still using the same AA's that I put in the radio when I bought the truck 2&1/2 gallons ago.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:21 PM
fantomas

I'm still using the same AA's that I put in the radio when I bought the truck 2&1/2 gallons ago.
wow! i had alkaline's in my radio and the didnt last more than a half a gallon!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: fantomas

wow! i had alkaline's in my radio and the didnt last more than a half a gallon!

Ouch!......Just flipped on my radio..........9.9 volts left on my original Energizers. I don't know how long they'll last, or at what voltage they will stop working, but I'll let my failsafe figure that one out for me.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
MUDSHED

Hey Estranged,

Here is a post that I put out a few weeks ago. It might help you some. Have fun with your new rig!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/TIPS...2104200/tm.htm
Old 09-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Estranged

Thanks for the advice guys, you guys really know your stuff

Will get some uber batteries and what not

Whats the difference between fuel then? my local model shop sells 7% nitro fuel up to 20% i think!! is it mixed with something?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 AM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

ya oil get the highest you can it will increase performance and you can lean it out a little so it wil use less fuel
Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 PM
fantomas

you want to use a 20% or 30% nitro... i use mugen seiki 20% (byrons) but blue thunder, trinity, odonnell they are all good fuels..
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

ya stay away from traxxas top fuel i hate it it's so freakin crappy[&:]
Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: oatmealman

ya oil get the highest you can it will increase performance and you can lean it out a little so it wil use less fuel

That's just not true. While a 2-stroke requires oil in the fuel to provide lubrication, you want to use the lowest amount of oil possible while still maintaining proper protection. High oil content fuel (such as break-in fuel) will run sluggishly and make tuning harder. The reason being that the oil in the fuel isn't combustable. In order to get the excess oil burnt out, you HAVE TO lean it more than with lower oil content fuel. Doing so gives you a "fuel lean" condition as more air is required just to burn hot enough to sizzle out the oil. High oil fuel is not made for high performance. A properly tuned engine while using high oil content fuel should be boggy and slower than normal.