Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Engine Swap: Nitro Star S-25

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:45 PM
creyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap: Nitro Star S-25

I'm tired of messing around with the engine included on this truck and have always loved the Savage engine and am now looking for a way to drop one in. I guess I need some type of engine mount but don't know which or where to get one. If anyone here has already done this or know how to it would help me out greatly.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:01 PM
kevinb456

Default RE: Engine Swap: Nitro Star S-25

well i dont know how to make it fit, but i would like to ask what problems u have the mach 26. i find it a very good engine, have had no problems with it.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:26 PM
creyc

Problem is there's no low end torque.

I suppose I should go out and buy a XTM 24.7 pro but since I already have a S-25 I thought anything is going to be better than the Mach.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:05 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
I would have thought that Nitro star 25 will drop right in without any mods but i might be wrong if you have NS-25 pull your LST's engine out and see if it will fit

All the very best

Gareth

P.S When you say you have no low end torque what do you mean i.e on acceleration the truck hesitates or it takes of quite qickly then slows up some before getting into second.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:44 PM
creyc

I have a Savage 25 but not nearby. I'll pull it and test it out as soon as I go get my truck.

I just wanted to see if there's anything I could get from the hobby shop while I'm there tomorrow before getting the truck back from my brother. One thing I thought about just now was the output shaft, I'm not sure if it's long enough to accept the two gears on the LST clutch since the Savage clutchbell only has 1. If that's the case I'll be looking for a Sportwerks or XTM 24.7 but that means spending even more.

By no low end torque I mean there's not enough for me.
I don't want to put the truck in low gear to do wheelies, I don't want to get taken off the line by my neighbors T-Maxx, I don't don't like that my supposedly better LST pales in comparison with my Savage. If I can get it to work I'll throw the Mach in the Savage since I know I've seen people do that. The mach has plenty of top end and my gearing is already low on my Savage so it'll work out better for both trucks.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 PM
lstman

something doesnt sound right with that mach .26. i have 3 people including me running the lst. kills the wasp .26. the savages might as well stay off the track. if low end tourque is not there then there is a problem. 13 lb truck melting all 4 tires on tar is quite alot of tourque. i had to take out all my shock preloads to keep the front tires on the ground. theres even a guy that tried the mach in his t-maxx. plastic gears didnt like that much, but for the week the thing stayed in one peice. it was sick. were always messing with the big blocks and there is not alot better than the mach when its right. as for the s-25. everyone i know just sells them on ebay when they put in the wasp or mach.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:36 PM
creyc

No there are no problems with my mach, it's perfectly fine. Just ask Losi, they tore it apart and said so themselves.

With that in mind, I don't feel like it's actually that much torque, so I'm just gonna try something that I know performs better and see if it really does in this truck. I really don't understand how so many people are getting so much power from their trucks though without any mods at all. I had a tug of war the other day between my Savage (driven by my brother) and my LST. I just put new wheels and tires on the Savage so I think that might have helped it out cause it definitely overtook my LST. [:@] I was a little bummed, which got me thinking of putting a S-25 in this LST.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:45 PM
wicked LST

dunno whats up with yours but i can wheelie in high all day long.....i can be moving already and stab it and it will pull it sky high....it took some fiddling but it was the tune......mostly the low speed.....i finally got it dialed in and now it hauls ass. I also switched to 30 percent byrons fuel and it seems to keep the tune more consistant, and for an odd reason it runs cooler.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
lstman

its still fun to watch people with savages. 1000s dumped into them. shut there trucks down when the losi fires up. thst and t=when they have a wasp they rebuild diffs weekly. id sell the losi if i were you. there are a bunch of people i know waiting for shipments to the lhs. id would sell fast.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
lstman

and the tug o war with a 13 lb truck. the losi lost? i cant even comment on that logic
Old 09-19-2004, 09:32 PM
creyc

I'm sorry but I haven't really understood your past two posts. You're saying to sell my truck in one I think...and commenting on the logic of a tug of war with some 13lb truck in the other? There are a few typos in there so maybe I'm jsut reading things wrong...

I went into the tug not really knowing which truck would pull the other. I just put larger and heavier wheels on the Savage and it already has a much lower gear ratio than stock because of a gear swap. I knew it would be competition for the LST but didn't think it would pull it.

As for selling the truck, I don't understand why you wrote that as it makes no sense to me. I'm keeping both trucks, and I'm not gonna let problems, even big problems like the wimpy included engine, from letting me have fun with them. I bought the truck for a reason, and that's to have fun so I don't know what the point in selling it would be. I prefer the handling and top speed of my LST but my Savage is just plain mean when it comes to torque. I'd gladly sacrifice some of my LST's top speed if it meant the ability to pull the front end in the air, I just don't think I should have to drive it around in LOW gear all day when others can do the same thing and more with their trucks in high. It just kinda feels like Losi is ripping me off you know?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:57 PM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For your lost of Torque, is it possible that something is slipping? Like the Clutch or even the Slipper?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:19 PM
creyc

I suppose it's possible for the clutch to be slipping, but i just put a new pack of replacement springs on it from Losi. I have cleaned my slipper clutch pads with alcohol and tightened it down to about 1/2 a turn out. The diffs are filled with 100k weight fluid because I do a lot of rough terrain driving and that gives more power to both wheels I find. I had to fix the two speed clutch but beyond that everything is the same as stock setup. It flies past the Savage after catching up to it, it's just that low end that's not working out.

As for tuning, there's not much more to do. If I turn it in any more the sound gets very odd, it's a ringing-sputtering type sound and definitely not a sign of a proper tune. High speed needle is tuned as well, very quick on the high speed and ample amounts of smoke. It's running hot though, and about 250-240 with the body off. Maybe upgrading the heatsink would be cheaper than an engine swap?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 AM
lstman

well an upgrade i did in an earlier post is for 30 bucks i put the sportwerks .26 mayhem carb on my mach. perfect fit and there is the different venturies. adjustablefor either bottom or top end. its a pretty sick upgrade for 30 bucks. someone in that post found a site with the carb.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:25 AM
nd2xlr8

Have you had the chance to compare your lst with someone else's? If yours is the only one you have had a chance to see then it might be possible that your engine is a dog. Every lst ive seen (3 of them) runs great. In a drag theres not a T-maxx or Savage 25 That can catch up to me before we run out of radio range. Its possible you just got a bad one, or the three I've seen just had good one's. I actually had to loosen my slipper to keep it under control. Hope you get it worked out.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:32 PM
creyc

Try convincing Losi or Horizon that I got a bad one though.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
creyc

I took it out driving again tonight, primarily to focus on the low end response on my Mach before I change anything just yet. In low gear it will pull the front up and onto its lid but only from a completely stopped position. If it's moving forget it.

In high gear it really flies and is almost too fast for my small area near a large body of water but the throttle response off the line is nothing like my Savage. It's short grass with tons of traction and the truck just kinda pulls forward slowly till it gains a bit of speed were it takes off and does fine the rest of the powerband till max RPMs. There is just zero punch from idle, I held the truck back and opened the throttle and felt a light and slow force starting to pull the truck forwards. If I try the same with my savage or any other truck it immediately jumps forwards, there is no lag time before the power starts to kick in. I don't really think this is a tuning issue because it's already hotter than I'd like and than recommended.

What does this sound like to you, an engine issue or something throughout the rest f the drivetrain? And if you think it's in the rest of the truck, where could it be? My clutch is fine, I just checked it and my slipper is very tight. Losi says the engine is fine and I don't know what to think about that because everything here is suggesting otherwise. I'm just desperate to get this up to the performance of other LSTs ever since I watched a guy drive his LST at a nearby track. Mine isn't normal in comparison.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 PM
icenutz

You can check some of your radio settings such as throtle deadband and exponential functions. I have read some radios have come wrongly set from factory. It's worth a try if you haven't checked this yet.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:51 PM
wicked LST

ok here it is......i just played around with my lst tonight. weather changed so i went out and retuned it.
Lean out your high speed needle a bit. I started my tune from 4 out and it was bogging real bad....no low end punch. Low speed was set...it had a good idle and shut off after a few seconds with pinch test....but if i punched it, it sounded like what u are describing. All i did was start leaning it out, 1/12th a turn......until i got what i wanted.....it went right back to pulling wheelies all day long and had a very snappy response. If i richen'd it back up a tad it went right back to sluggish......try leaning it out some on the high speed, see what it does.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:50 PM
tzque

I have read numerous times where LST owners are saying they can or will spank most of the savages out there . I have both trucks and I like my LST but it simply does not compare to my savage with the Picco 26 in it . I have both truck tuned pretty well and I think the problem is stock the LSt needs more gear but this truck just doesnt get my blood pumping like my savage . The torque on my savage is insane . I will give it to LSt it cost me about 1,200 to get my savage to the level of the LST out of the box . But to bash and go insane I am reaching for my savage . Am I alone in this ? Finally the advange LST has is that it came late to the game . The next HPI monster will come out more agressive and cheaper . LST has raised the bar .
Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 PM
nd2xlr8

I have a T-maxx , Savage and a LST. In my savage I have the original .25 and I know for a fact my LST will spank my savage off the line and top end. The T-maxx will get left on the start and then make up ground. If you are comparing a savage with a LST, I think it should be with both of them stock. With enough money and mods I could get a Terra Crusher to run with the LST.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:07 PM
lstman

i can only speak from my own experience. there are alot of savages at my track. every one of them has either a wasp or picco. i can say that i SPANK THEM!!! yeah i said it. beat them like they stole something. that truck cannot corner like mine. it has nowhere near the suspension i do. there engines are comperable. but the gearing in my losi is just quick. and none of them are stock at all. even with there 100 dollar servos they cant get around the track like me. what is there that is gonna compete with those shocks? i know my losi is dialed in but i think even a so so one will still do the trick. thats just my experience.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:02 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay somebody actually beleives a force 25 will have more tourque then a Mach 26, i must say the Force 25 is nowhere near as tourqey as the Mach....the mach is so far superior to a S-25 its stupid......as well a Mach 26 and Xtm pro are basically the same engine anyways..sorry to sound cocky but my s-25 is a turd next to my xtm pro...its actually almost silly to watch a s-25 try to keep up to a Mach
Old 09-25-2004, 09:07 PM
lstman

thats funny you say that. reminds me of something. couple weeks ago at the track the shops counter guy was out there with his buggy. i think it was an ofna with the wasp .26. then a couple of kids showed up with his x-terminator delux. pro 24.7. that xtm wiped the track with that wasp. they dragged from a dead stop. did laps. there was nothing that ofna could do. i laughed my butt off. i have the x-cellerator. with the .18. when it come to 1/10 scale stadium, this thing slays all. i just cant keep it on the track. damn thing breaks every time i use it. im concidering making it a drag car. throwing the mach in it with slicks and wheelie bars. i couldnt even emagine it.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 PM
creyc

I'm not saying all Mach engines are less powerful than all S-25's, I'm saying myMach 26, the one that came on my LST has less power than my Savage engine. Can I prove this? No, not yet but if you put both on a RC engine dyno the results would no doubt be in the S-25's favor. Now if this is different from what you think, obviously I don't have the same engine, or at least my version of the engine is different. I don't know how this can be as they are mass produced but mine is certainly less powerful than my Savage engine. No one can or will do anything about it though, I already tried, so I just have to make the best of it and try to use a substitute. Hence my S-25 swap which I'm still not done with. :\

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.