Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Team Losi LST Vs Traxxas Revo and T-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:43 AM
natedog_03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Losi LST Vs Traxxas Revo and T-maxx

I am a fan of all three monster trucks...... but what to buy? I am a tad confused on what performance is going to be best.... what I believe to be the right purchase for me. I am a casual user of a remote control car but want to go off road.... I enjoy using a car on dirt/grass/road...basically any surface. Can someone advise me on what they think to be best and the reasons why?

Natedog_03
Old 11-12-2004, 05:50 AM
lstman

Default RE: Team Losi LST Vs Traxxas Revo and T-maxx

the t-maxx should be taken right out of the equasion first thing. ive had 2 and would not advise anyone to waste there time. and they are not even in the same league as thw losi and revo. so the real choice is between those 2 in my opinion. i chose the lst. only about a thousand reasons why for me. but the revo's are killin on the track.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:00 AM
natedog_03

thanks for the advice.... just out of interest what are some of the reasons why you would choose the revo over the losi? I have been advised by a dealer of both that the losi is a better buy....... but i think he is trying to get a higher sale.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37 AM
lstman

well i would not choose the revo over the lst. i bought the lst. and i love it. reasons? .... here goes. .26 engine,hi-low range tranny. thats 4 foward speeds.,massive shocke,stock with jr xs3 fm synthesised radio,tranny has nothing but metal gears, revo still has plastic gears just like the t-maxx.,steel driveshafts, revo has plastic. there huge, but there still plastic.,the layout of the lst is the easiest to work on ive ever seen. pull a diff in less than 2 mins. and in closing i have beaten every revo i have run against. the lst's i run against sometimes beat me. am i forgetting anything guys?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 AM
natedog_03

i just saw a video on the lst on this website.... I reckon you are spot on.... they look sick! I think that I need a little more research but thanks a million for your advice on the gears plastic vs metal.... I know that the revo is a .25 what advantage does a .26 have over a .25? does this mean that the losi lst is a little more heavier than the revo?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:39 AM
lstman

no no no!!! the revo is not a .25! they call it a 2.5. the actual size is a .15! the losi is a .26. much much bigger. the revo has like 1.3 h.p. the losi has damn near 3 hp. night and day difference. revo is a small block. lst is a big block.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:28 AM
loadleft

From a Racer:
In all honesty in box stock form (not considering LST first run issues) they are nearly equal on the track. The biggest difference I have noticed is that the LST accelerates to a nearly equal top-end much faster. On some tracks/surfaces that's an advantage i.e.: high traction surface and the opposite is true on low traction surfaces. For me a deciding difference is the size as it relates to upgrades and construction materials in the same regard. I've found that the Revo is nearly at the top of its potential you can go up a little but much higher torque such as .26-28 engines and you'll start have to upgrade to metal parts due to twisting and stripping of the plastic ones. Also the smaller size, mainly shorter wheelbase would make a torque upgrade a major disadvantage due to wheelies which are cool to a basher, but for a racer are terrible (can't steer when the front wheels are in the air). Sure you can buy aftermarket chassis and drive shafts but then you've caught up in price to the LST and you still have this crappy radio. This is why I say the Revo is nearly Maxxed (pun intended) out, while the LST with all metal everything plus longer wheelbase which makes it easier to control wheelies is better for the basher/racer with thoughts of upgrading. Speed wise, top end anyway they are very similar once you have enough torque to move the vehicle it will be the total RPM's that decide the top end. The biggest difference in the .15 and the .26 is in the torque department not the RPM's. This translates into faster acceleration and the ability to use taller gearing though none is available for the LST. Hope this was helpful.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
lstman

well said. so there. you have it from basher and a racer. take it for what its worth. i would sudjest you check out the revo forum though and ask the same question. then you can get the best of both worlds. also i would be interested in how they compare the two.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:32 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definately recommend the LST (boy, that's a suprise here in the LST forum).

The Tmaxx is the cheapest of the three, and when it's set up right, it'll hang with anything else out there, but when it's stock, it's the worst choice of the three as far as performance and durability. By the time you build up the Tmaxx to be as good as the other two, you'll have spent tons of money, more than the total price of the LST.

I have a Tmaxx with over $1000 dumped into it, and it still isn't as good as my LST. With all the available trucks out right now, I wouldn't recommend the Tmaxx to anyone.

After owning the Tmaxx, I decided to get the LST over the Revo. The Revo looks like a great race truck, but as stated above, it's already Maxxed out. If you put in a better engine (I hate the TRX 2.5), you'll have to spend hundreds of dollars to beef up the stock drivetrain.

The LST is a better overall platform. Any current 1/8 scale engine will fit right in with out any major modification, and it comes stock with .26 power! Plus it has the best radio gear of any RTR available!

Your LHS is right. The LST is absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Here's how engine sizing works. There are two different ways to express engine displacement (size). One is in metric, and the other is in American standard.

The Revo engine is a TRX 2.5 which means 2.5 cubic centimeters, or "cc". It's also .15 cubic inches, or "ci". Most engines are rated in cubic inches except for Traxxas. They want their engine to sound bigger than what it really is, which confuses new buyers like yourself.

The stock LST engine (Mach .26) is .26 cubic inches, which works out to be something like 4.42 cubic centimeters. So you can see that the LST comes with a much larger engine that has double the horsepower of the Revo engine.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:05 PM
lstman

thank you. you saved me alot of typing right there. i also have owned 2 t-maxx's. took alot to get it worth running.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I'm sorry, I can't refraim from this. I have beat the living hell out of a mostly stock LST, stock bulks and skids. Here is what a one of my Tmaxxes looked like with much less abuse.

I was one of the only people in the Monster truck class who also served as Marshall during the same race!!!!!

My advice is if you buy a Tmaxx bring a Tmaxx to a race also bring a dust pan and a shop broom to gather your pieces.

There, I feel better....
Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 PM
boogerdan

The real question is what are you going to do with your truck. If you bash which is equally fun in many aspects as racing then get the lst! It has the POWER and all the bells and whistles, but get some spare parts, because it will have some issues. Lets say you race and your local track is medium size say 50' by 70' then depending on what track layout the owner likes then you have a different dilemma. I now own both the LST and REVO. When my lhs builds a track with is technical, but with good passing lines and a strait, I will race my lst. If not then I race the revo. The other plus will be this spring and summer when you enter larger outdoor events, then you can race two classes, unlimited and small block.

Just make your decision and start to play. Don't wait any longer on your decision.

ORIGINAL: natedog_03

I am a fan of all three monster trucks...... but what to buy? I am a tad confused on what performance is going to be best.... what I believe to be the right purchase for me. I am a casual user of a remote control car but want to go off road.... I enjoy using a car on dirt/grass/road...basically any surface. Can someone advise me on what they think to be best and the reasons why?

Natedog_03
Old 11-13-2004, 12:46 PM
lstman

if you drop the $30 on diff cases and a different clutch springs before you run, you wont be breaking nearly as often.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:31 PM
4wheelin

My Revo just could'nt take rear end hits,,,,pipe is connected to the rear tower...hit the rear and it moves in and yo damage the header which is made out of foil,,,,,you can bend it in your hands...it thats easy.

Revo is a pian to work on, period.

Your buying a 9 pound with a .15 engine....in the end, the engine is just above average, when broken properly.

The radio box is useless, as a basher...poor fit, kept nothing out..the switch and optidrive are all exposed.

Traxxas customer servise is awesome........and a heck of a GOOD point....