Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Official Shock/Oil thrread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:43 AM
fourwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Shock/Oil thrread

Here is where to share you shock and shock oil setups. Please share those as well as what you use the truck for as in bashing or racing. Mine is still using the stock springs and oil and I am looking for the ultimate bashing setup.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:12 PM
trippin_on_lst

Default RE: Official Shock/Oil thrread

im running 50 weight in front and rear. with the threadded shock bodys. and i hope to get some new springs soon..
Old 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM
LST2004

30 wt front and back, stock shocks.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:29 PM
2DMaxLST!!

40wt all Black Springs/Threaded Shocks
Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 AM
sk8ingsailor

40w front and rear, threaded bodies with yellow springs and sways bars on
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Sao

Mine is currently as it came out of the box but i plan on getting some threaded shock bodies and different rate springs to try out. Will probably stick to 30weight oil
Old 12-06-2004, 08:10 AM
fourwheeler

Those of you running the 40 wt oil, does the truck not bottom out noticeably better? Or is this something a spring change would help more?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 AM
XrayRacer

The heavier oil really only effects the return rate making it less bouncy. Heavier springs would help prevent bottoming out.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
captanabolic

Threaded, shock bodies, hot racing titanium jet vent pistons, hot racing orange springs for racing and purple high lift springs for bashing. 35wt oil
Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
ThermalRD

Threaded bodies.
white springs front/rear
polished pistons
polished shafts
25 wt oil front/rear (Losi brand)
Old 12-06-2004, 01:49 PM
bige4375

I am stock right now, 30wt oil, silver springs.

Thermal, first glad to see you back in here, I know there were words with people but you should be in here. How does this setup work for you, and do you race, that is what I was going to try, I think the truck is to stiff stock.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
ThermalRD

Sorry, i should have been more specific. First off, DONT compare any settings to my shock setup if you havent modified the pistons. Mine were hanging up quite a bit in the new shock bodies, and a little bit in the stock bodies. I sanded the squared edge off the pistons, and then polished them with crocus paper. While i had them apart, i polished the shaft with Nevr' dull. I guess what im trying to say is, after mod's, the shocks are VERY VERY SMOOTH. Alot softer than they were previously. Yes, this is a setup for racing. Bige, i have not put the truck on the track since i set it up this way. I think its gonna be good. I'll take it to the track Sunday, and give it some laps. I was previously running black springs front, white springs rear, 25 wt oil, no shock mods, and the same shock bodies (threaded).

ORIGINAL: bige4375

I am stock right now, 30wt oil, silver springs.

Thermal, first glad to see you back in here, I know there were words with people but you should be in here. How does this setup work for you, and do you race, that is what I was going to try, I think the truck is to stiff stock.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
boogerdan

Right now my LHS track is set up for fast laps. It has a double just before a tabletop and my LST can hit the table top off the front jump. (Almost 6 feet high and 15 feet long) When she runs not even the lightning can keep up. Then the track has an interesting canyon that snakes around, slows you a little, but very interesting. Then up onto a quick double then a washboard section, then a 3 turn 90% section then it’s home for a 75' long strait. Now for you question? I wanted to get a little more front-end lift to make the back triple so I wanted to increase my front-end lift. I did this by just making the inner holes of the piston a little larger (drilled them out) and I also hand sanded the edges. I use 30wt and white springs. The rear is stock with 30wt and silvers. I also ran my front shock strait, meaning that on top I have them in the outside hole and on the bottom the inside hole. This helps get around the corners a little quicker and help in getting the truck strait for the jumps. My back is a little laid more. The upper shocks are outside and so it the lower. This helps to get the end around a little smoother. Just some ideas and this setup is working well on my track. I win or in the top 3 when I don't break.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
ThermalRD

From the sound of it, you went softer up front? White springs are one pound lighter than stock, and polished pistons make it smoother. The larger piston hole makes the shock react faster. If you want more lift, you would have to use a hevier spring, or heavier oil. Or both. Basically if you slow down the action up front, you'll get the entire truck to lift higher up front. Rather than having the suspension soak it up. Go back to stock pistons, without the holes modified. Polish them to make them smooth. Then try a black spring up front, white in rear, and 30 wt oil. Thats the setup i had, and i could put the nose straight up on jumps.

ORIGINAL: boogerdan

Right now my LHS track is set up for fast laps. It has a double just before a tabletop and my LST can hit the table top off the front jump. (Almost 6 feet high and 15 feet long) When she runs not even the lightning can keep up. Then the track has an interesting canyon that snakes around, slows you a little, but very interesting. Then up onto a quick double then a washboard section, then a 3 turn 90% section then it’s home for a 75' long strait. Now for you question? I wanted to get a little more front-end lift to make the back triple so I wanted to increase my front-end lift. I did this by just making the inner holes of the piston a little larger (drilled them out) and I also hand sanded the edges. I use 30wt and white springs. The rear is stock with 30wt and silvers. I also ran my front shock strait, meaning that on top I have them in the outside hole and on the bottom the inside hole. This helps get around the corners a little quicker and help in getting the truck strait for the jumps. My back is a little laid more. The upper shocks are outside and so it the lower. This helps to get the end around a little smoother. Just some ideas and this setup is working well on my track. I win or in the top 3 when I don't break.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
smashn

I have stock so far, I am looking into geting the threaded shock bodies and running diff oil setup for racing prolly 30 wt front and rear! Welcome back thermal!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 AM
fourwheeler

This is all good info guys. Keep it coming and yea...

Welcome back Thermal !!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:55 PM
boogerdan

Wow, I thought you were asking for what was working for me. Boy was I wrong. Thanks, for letting me know what I already know.

By the way, (I really don’t think you care) but I did try the black up front, and the landing was a little stiff in the front. I wanted more response since I only have about 10 feet to bleed off speed for a 90% turn, the lighter springs allow the front to dig in a little harder. Maybe I am wrong! all I do is crash and hit walls when I race.

If I am over sensitive to your reply, then I apologize.

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

From the sound of it, you went softer up front? White springs are one pound lighter than stock, and polished pistons make it smoother. The larger piston hole makes the shock react faster. If you want more lift, you would have to use a hevier spring, or heavier oil. Or both. Basically if you slow down the action up front, you'll get the entire truck to lift higher up front. Rather than having the suspension soak it up. Go back to stock pistons, without the holes modified. Polish them to make them smooth. Then try a black spring up front, white in rear, and 30 wt oil. Thats the setup i had, and i could put the nose straight up on jumps.

ORIGINAL: boogerdan

Old 12-08-2004, 11:24 AM
captanabolic

WHOOA Booger chill man, Take a PROZAC!!! LOL