Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Breaking in settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:36 PM
co3bra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in settings

Newbe here. After reading all the manuals and about five hours today (at work) on this forum, I'm a little confused about the settings. Dynomite states 3.5 turns on the high speed and the LST operators manual states 2.5. Also, this washer thing has me about nuts. I just got this thing about a week ago and I'm too paranoid to start it. I'm starting to second guess my new hobby.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Pinolelst

Default RE: Breaking in settings

ORIGINAL: co3bra

Newbe here. After reading all the manuals and about five hours today (at work) on this forum, I'm a little confused about the settings. Dynomite states 3.5 turns on the high speed and the LST operators manual states 2.5. Also, this washer thing has me about nuts. I just got this thing about a week ago and I'm too paranoid to start it. I'm starting to second guess my new hobby.
3.5 turns is the correct setting.About the washer...Some say leave it and if it fails (many have) send it in and Horizon will replace it.Which they will but you'll be engineless for some time I expect depending on if you're in afghanistan ot Pennsylvania at the time .

My LHS (A losi repair station) took what was left of the washer out of my first engine when it seized up on the very first start up and when I bought my second LST I took it out first thing myself.3 gallons through my original so far..running washerless and things look good,motor runs strong and I'm not worried that the washer will ruin my fun at the least opportune moment

hope this helps
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
captanabolic

If you have the mechanical skill to take the engine out and the spinstart, and the back plate off then I would recommend you take the washer out. I personally ran about 2 gallons through mine before I took it out. Some say it is better to leave it in so that you don't void the engine warranty. But Even if you take it out and have some problems later I doubt Losi or Horizon would give you a hassle because it was not there. Just an example, My buddy took the washer out of a new LST MACH 26, Had some trouble with a bad machined sleeve. Beleive me it happens. He sent the engine back to Horizon with a letter stating the problem and after three days the sent a brand spanking new in the box MACH 26. So to me I dont think taking the washer out will in reality void the warranty. If you do not have the skill to take ( I'm not trying to insult anyone) out just leave it in. BUT BE WARNED YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE!!

CO3BRA: I also recommend any other fuel but BLUE (CRAP) THUNDER!! Go with Trinity
Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM
co3bra

I really appreciate the imput and I agree that the washer must go. However, my mechanical skills are similar to a chimpanzee on crack. I'll give it a shot and if all hell breaks loose there is always a nova rossi in the offing.

If any of you young guys can help an old guy like me with some advise, I'd really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks

Scott
Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
captanabolic

It actually is pretty simple, the only problems might arise taking the engine out is the locktite on the engin mount screws.YOU GOTTA HEAT THEM UP WITH A SOLDERING IRON or you might strip or break them. Once the engine is out, just unscrew the four spin start screws take it off, to locate the backplate screws. Use a really good fitting phillips screw driver and take the backplate off. Then behind the oneway (little black bearing) is the rod with a little nipple on it the washer is on that little nipple. take it off and throw it in the ocean!!! then reassemble. GOOD LUCK anyone else got anything I might have forgot?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: captanabolic

anyone else got anything I might have forgot?

I do. Upon reassembly, you should seal the backplate o-ring with some Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp Silicone Gasket Maker. This will remove the possibility of an air leak due to a damaged o-ring from removal of the backplate. It only takes the smallest imperfection of that o-ring to cause an air leak, and it can easily be damaged from removal.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
captanabolic

Thanks Jefx, Yep that too
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
co3bra

Ok you guys, check this out. I removed the washer and believe me it was a bear to get out. In the end, I wasted two of the three bolts on the backing plate. I replaced three of them and everything seems fine. My question is....should I replace the backing plate with all new parts or let it go due to the fact that its just holding the starter on?

Second issue..... while running the second tank of gas through the LST, I noticed that the temp was reaching about 247 or so. The first tank never exceeded 210 with a gradual increases so I think it sealed properly. I then proceeded to back out the HSN to the point that it was loose and almost out of the housing. I immediately turn it off to cool it down. if this happens on the third tank, what should i do? adjust the low end?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: co3bra

Ok you guys, check this out. I removed the washer and believe me it was a bear to get out. In the end, I wasted two of the three bolts on the backing plate. I replaced three of them and everything seems fine. My question is....should I replace the backing plate with all new parts or let it go due to the fact that its just holding the starter on?

Second issue..... while running the second tank of gas through the LST, I noticed that the temp was reaching about 147 or so. The first tank never exceeded 110 with a gradual increases so I think it sealed properly. I then proceeded to back out the HSN to the point that it was loose and almost out of the housing. I immediately turn it off to cool it down. if this happens on the third tank, what should i do? adjust the low end?

note: the second tank of gas was bluethunder vs infinity.

Why would you back the HSN out? 147 is too cold for proper break-in, you should lean it a bit to get the temps a little higher.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Pinolelst

My engine runs at an avg temp of about 240.A little higher maybe 260 if I'm really railing on it for a long time and sometimes a little under if I'm just putzing around
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
captanabolic

COB, you are going the wrong way brother on the high speed, you want to go clockwise to gain more power. Start over 1. turn the HSN till it just about botoms out (not to tight) 2. open the HSN 3 full turns counter clockwise 3. reset the LSN to two turns out. now Start er up. let it get up to temp this is the third or fourth tank correct. drive it around at these settings not going to full throttle, just yet drive it around slow. Next tank lean it down 1/12 (picture a clock) turn (clockwise) run it around again every once in a while run it past half throttle. next tank repeat but now run it a few passes at afew blips at full throttle. next tank lean once more. lean the low speed 1/12 GO HAVE MAD LST FUN. Be patient 5 or six tanks of fuel are needed for breakin after the initial idle period. after about 10 tanks the mach really makes good power at about 240 degrees. anyone else?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 AM
co3bra

I meant 240 instead of 140. typo. any suggestions? what does COB mean?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
captanabolic

SORRY bro Meant CO3BRA. Forgot the 3