Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

TUNED PIPES

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:52 PM
captanabolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TUNED PIPES

Anyone running a different pipe than the stock one. In the spring i'm mounting up a SH.28 in my LST and I think I'm gonna upgrade the pipe. Any Ideas? Much appreciated!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:08 PM
motorpsycho502

Default RE: TUNED PIPES

IMO waste O money, I polished mine and then proceeded to crack my header due to overheating, had to buy a new header and recoat my shiney expansion chamber. The interesting thing was that when polished, the pipe would literally burn you minutes after shut down, with a black header and black pipe you can touch the pipe very soon after shut down and its not that hot. This proves that thermal transfer is far better when black, also removing heat from motor faster. I cannot see a real difference in these aftermarket pipes compared to the stock one.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there are any pipes specifically built for .28 engines.

.28 engines are a new craze and haven't been around for very long. Ths stock LST pipe was designed to handle the displacement of a .26 engine, so it should do pretty well with a .28 engine.

Most aftermarket pipes are designed for small block (.18 and under), or big blocks (.21 and over). So a pipe that comes on a truck with a .26 engine (LST) is probably as good as any for that engine.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 PM
wicked LST

i have an ofna 053 mid range pipe on the lst with the stock mach with sportwerks carb.....seemed to pick up some grunt in the mid range and kept the bottom end.

look into those...they have an 053, a 063, and a few others....

as far as polishing the lst stock pipe, it may have made it too thin...who knows....the ofna pipe is polished and doesnt run that hot...same temp as the stock one.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

Dose anyone know if this DYN6627 pipe is the same as the one on the lst. I hold them side by side and thy look very simlar.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42847.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	200509  
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
LST2004

That pipe looks pretty good!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:12 AM
captanabolic

Yo Wick, Thanks I was looking at those same pipes they look sweet!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

What about the Hard Anodized pipes? Are they any good? I was looking at this one for my mammoth:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/kws_57348953.asp
Old 12-08-2004, 11:37 AM
captanabolic

Yeah I saw tose too dude they look nice. I guess it is just a matter of preference, Price, Performance!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:41 AM
wicked LST

go with what works.....thats why i stuck with the ofna pipes.....they have been proven time and time again on buggies. Alot of the pipes out there are just knock offs.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:00 PM
captanabolic

I like this pipe alot but it is for the SAVAGE

A brand I never Heard of

PK9394 1 PIECE TUNED PIPE SET HPI SAVAGE 21 25 SS RTR
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 PM
SUTblue2

most people rate RB pipes If you are worried about the extra heat get a black RB header(is that the right name) and the rest polished.

In England you can get RB pipes from the RB factory but without the RB name they even come in an almost Identical RB box!

And aren't Ofna's knock offs of RB's but thicker making them heavier and slightly detracting from power gain? at least that's what a thread on the MB forum was saying.

Also an LST owner from the MB forum bought a tuned pipe and noticed a large diffrence in power and said that it was well worth it!

And now for a science lesson for those who didn't know. The colour black absorbs heat better than any other colour it is also a rubbish heat insulator and so lets the heat go strait through it therefore the engine heat goes into a black pipe and the heat goes straight in and out of the pipe therefore detracting from engine heat.
Shiny colours E.G polished aluminium or chrome actualy reflect the heat and are therefore very good insulators so the heat from the engine goes into the pipe and basically bounces of of the surfaces and sitting there.

I did it in Science yesterday so I know that also why they tell you to wear a white T-Shirt on hot days.

that's me done c ya

P.S that looks like a tsais pipe or a knock off good for lowering the noise levels but not the best performance gain , probably hold heat even longer than a normal polished pipe[X(] beautiful pipe tho