Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New LST

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 AM
VTXRaider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LST

I just purchased a new LST from my lhs and unfortunately I am unable to run it because the box contained a 27mhz radio and no starter shaft. My lhs called Horizon and they told him they would ship him a complete new truck and we would have it within 48hrs, and to then send back the old truck. My serial number is 6028, I'm guessing they have done some more updates and thats why they are not just shipping a radio and shaft so I don't mind waiting. After having this truck in my hands for a day I'm really impressed with the engineering compared to my Savage and Tmaxx. I hear a lot of people talk about the high price tag and I just laugh. When I look at how much money I have spent over the years to upgrade my other trucks just to get what the lst comes with stock its unbelievable. From what I've been reading I will still have to buy about 200 worth of additional parts but thats still cheaper than what I have in each of my other trucks.

Talk to you soon
VTXRaider
Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 AM
fourwheeler

Default RE: New LST

Welcome to the forum. The starter shaft is hidden inside the starter unit. Did ya check there?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 AM
captanabolic

VTX CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE. When you get the new truck the starter shaft is cleverly hidden in the battery compartment of the starter itself. My buddy looked all over till he found it in there. Just a little heads up so you dont think you did not get one with your new truck!! By the way you wont be dissappointed!!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
VTXRaider

I found the shaft! I did look in the battery spot but not on the cover, Thanks. One other note, I have been reading this forum quite extensively the last few weeks as I was making my decision on the LST. The two concerns I had were 1)My lhs does not sell many trucks and this one had been on his shelf for a while. I was concerned I was going to get a truck that had a low serial number and many of the updates that have already occured I would be missing out on. 2)The washer!

I called Bill and told him my concerns and he said that if in fact it was an older truck and I had problems with the cvd's and clutch ect. that they would take care of me as they would any of their customers. The washer he said leave alone!! He said they are in the process of redesigning the engine without a washer. My question is, if simply removing the washer would take care of a lot of engine problems why would he tell me not to do it, knowing that if that washer causes mine or any engine to blow they would have to replace it? I agree there is a problem but think the only real way to fix it is by remanufacturing with the correct tollerances. He said you wouldn't believe the amount of people having engine issues since removing the washer and they outnumber the engine failures with the washer still in place. I'm kind of stuck betweem a rock and a hard place. I just don't know what to do. While I respect everything I've read here why would Bill tell me not to remove it if in fact it would help?

This is a great site
VTXRaider
Old 12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: VTXRaider

He said you wouldn't believe the amount of people having engine issues since removing the washer and they outnumber the engine failures with the washer still in place. I'm kind of stuck betweem a rock and a hard place. I just don't know what to do. While I respect everything I've read here why would Bill tell me not to remove it if in fact it would help?

This is a great site
VTXRaider

Dunno about that.I'm registered on just about every LST related BB I could find and don't recall seeing many posts about an engine failure due to anything but the washer or what was left of it after it went south.Granted not everyone who owns one posts on the intraweb thing but out of the 10,000 or so they've sold the 100 or so on the BB's is a pretty good cross section.

btw 3 gallons through my washerless engine and no problems ...........................yet

Hope this helps

Peace [8D]
Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
mtdriver

If your lhs store sais to leave it in then leave it in and do your break in procedures and run quit a few tanks through it untill the dam washer breaks as it is under waranty, and if you remove it they may class it as tampering and may opt out of the warranty replacement.

The good thing is that if it goes with the washer in they will have to replace the engine with a new one without the washer in

Hope that helps you decide what to do
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
VTXRaider

MT - it wasn't my lhs it was Bill from Losi. I'll have to figure out what to do before my new truck arrives.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Ramirez24

I just don't understand the excitement of paying $600 for this top of the line Monster Nitro Truck. Then have to worry about the engine blowing up, diff cases cracking because they should of been better quality from Losi. Are you really getting your $600 of value here ?
Why is everybody cutting Team Losi so much slack. This truck should have never been released, they actually have used the consumer as there final R&D on the LST. Replacing and improving parts as they fail.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:49 PM
captanabolic

OK you said your piece now go post somewhere else!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
VTXRaider

Ramirez I was excited to pay 600 because I have a substantially better truck than my Savage (1000 Invested) or Tmaxx(1100) and now also have a good radio. I will have about 800 into this truck by the time I buy some of the necessities like batteries and diff covers ect. Not to mention working on it looks to be much easier and more accessible. My TMaxx is set to race and my Savage is only good for bashing, I think this truck will do both very fine.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
icenutz

ORIGINAL: Ramirez24

I just don't understand the excitement of paying $600 for this top of the line Monster Nitro Truck. Then have to worry about the engine blowing up, diff cases cracking because they should of been better quality from Losi. Are you really getting your $600 of value here ?
Why is everybody cutting Team Losi so much slack. This truck should have never been released, they actually have used the consumer as there final R&D on the LST. Replacing and improving parts as they fail.
I have said this many times, other then the washer issue which was fixed for free, I spent $4.99 on new clutch shoes and $24.00 on aluminum diff cases. That is a total of about $30.00 invested to eliminate any problems. I have not needed to invest any more money to get this car to run great. I have spent more on other cars that cost half as much. Any one who has been in this hobby knows you always invest money to upgrade certain parts. No kit or RTR come swith the best stuff.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
LSTGUY

ORIGINAL: icenutz
Any one who has been in this hobby knows you always invest money to upgrade certain parts. No kit or RTR come swith the best stuff.

well said
Old 12-09-2004, 11:12 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Bill and told him my concerns and he said that if in fact it was an older truck and I had problems with the cvd's and clutch ect. that they would take care of me as they would any of their customers. The washer he said leave alone!! He said they are in the process of redesigning the engine without a washer. My question is, if simply removing the washer would take care of a lot of engine problems why would he tell me not to do it, knowing that if that washer causes mine or any engine to blow they would have to replace it? I agree there is a problem but think the only real way to fix it is by remanufacturing with the correct tollerances. He said you wouldn't believe the amount of people having engine issues since removing the washer and they outnumber the engine failures with the washer still in place. I'm kind of stuck betweem a rock and a hard place. I just don't know what to do. While I respect everything I've read here why would Bill tell me not to remove it if in fact it would help?

This is a great site
VTXRaider

It's simple really. First off, Losi (and Bill) realize that the washer is a problem, otherwise why would they be redesigning the engine without one? Second, people who experience problems after removing the washer, are having problems due to not reassembling the engine correctly. They are not sealing the backplate, or they are installing it upside down, etc.

So what do you expect them to tell you? They're not gonna tell you to remove the washer on your own because of all the possible problems an unexperienced person may encounter. The only way they can warranty the engine for you is if (and when) it fails because of the washer. The only responsible choice they have is to tell people to leave the engine as is.

It's up to you whether you remove the washer or not. But these are your options:

1. Leave washer in engine (as recommended by Losi). Your engine WILL self destruct, and when it does, you'll be sitting at home with an unusable truck while you await the engine in the mail. The amount of returned engines they've been recieving is huge, so expect the wait time to be a while, and hope they got your order correct. Then if you got another engine with a washer installed, you can joyfully go through the whole process again.

2. If you are an experienced nitro enthusiast, you can remove the washer yourself (in under a half hour) and be done with the entire problem.

It's up to you which path you'll choose. Pick the one that feels the most comfortable.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
VTXRaider

I have decided to run my truck for the first 90 days with the washer, on day 91 if I get that far I will remove. If this was my only truck I would remove right now, but since I have two other options I will play it by the book. I can always throw in my other Mach .26 from my savage to keep driving the LST if I have to.

When Bill says they are redesigning without the washer do you they thay are actually redesigning or just taking the washer out???

P.S How do you copy quotes from other people??? and put them into your reply
Old 12-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Pinolelst

Upper right hand corner of the post there's a button that says "quote" .USe that to respond and it'll quote the original author

Hope this helps
Old 12-10-2004, 12:45 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to run my truck for the first 90 days with the washer, on day 91 if I get that far I will remove. If this was my only truck I would remove right now, but since I have two other options I will play it by the book. I can always throw in my other Mach .26 from my savage to keep driving the LST if I have to.

When Bill says they are redesigning without the washer do you they thay are actually redesigning or just taking the washer out???

Who knows. Hopefully they are redesigning the backplate and starter mechanism with the correct tolerances.